Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default Bone graft surgery on front teeth

The post says it all!
    I just finished my last procedure on my 4 front upper teeth. I had bone graft surgery 17 days ago and just had an appliance installed that consists of a wire band that was cemented onto my front teeth on the back side of the teeth. I just tried to blow for the first time in 17 days. This is going to be one heck of an adjustment. I have a new set of chops whether I like it or not.

Has anyone out there had anything similar? Any suggestions other than playing a lot? I will be limited for a few more days as far as how long I can play in one sitting.
    Last edited by William Bua; 04-09-2010 at 07:15 AM. Reason: typo

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014 jazzbluescat's Avatar

Default Re: Bone graft surgery on front teeth

Nope. But, take it easy, and good luck. Sounds like a hell of a procedure, especially for a sax/horn player.
    A lot of good arguments are ruined by some fool who knows what he's talking about.

Dude, Support this Forum.

Hello.
    I had bone graft surgery done a few years ago.My to front upper teeth got knocked out during a misunderstanding with someones foot about 25 years ago when i was a young military musician.
    Back then the dentist fixed them with root fillings.unfortunately they came loose after an infection 20 years later,by that time the bone was gone.so i had to choose between a bridge or a complicated bone graft in order to facilitate inplants.After trying a bridge for a while I chose the bone graft and inplants. I find that the inplants are better than my original teeth ,because they are straight my originals where a bit uneven and to sharp in places. The procedure was painful but well worth it. the teeth feel almost the same as my originals except for the lack of what i can only describe as "Suspension springs" my dentist says that it is because natural teeth have collagen in them that act like springs.
    good luck
    /Andy

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster
    Forum Contributor 2007-present
    Hawaiian homey, German resident, doing time in Texas

Ouch!!!! Best wishes on your new embouchure and a speedy recovery.

Regarding like procedures, just a word of encouragement. It is much easier to adjust embouchures on sax than on trumpet and Chet Baker, after loosing his teeth and having to use dentures, which really inhibit a trumpeter's ability to play, found a new way of playing that allowed him to have pretty much the same abilities as in his best days (although at a reduced volume). If he could do it, it's a piece of cake for you. We're all looking forward to your success in this new phase of your playing.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Thanks gentlemen!!
    I talked to my tech who is also a great player, and he suggested working on long tones to find the sweetspot so to speak. I know he's right, but I have never been a huge fan of practicing. I play music when I have the horn in hand. Now is my opportunity to do some much needed work on my chops. I heard that Coltrane worked on long tone an hour a day. Now that the teeth have calmed down and I am slowly adjusting to the appliance, tomorrow is bug my wife with long note day.

Good luck, Bua. And you'll be amazed by what you can get into with long tones.
    A lot of good arguments are ruined by some fool who knows what he's talking about.

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster
    Forum Contributor 2007-present
    Hawaiian homey, German resident, doing time in Texas

You know, Bill, regarding long tone practice, it doesn't have to drag you down. You can take a tune you like and play it very, very slowly concentrating on your tone quality. A combination of this with the introductory exercises in the Top Tones book should do the trick. Actually, I never play long tones. If I feel like I need to get back to isolating just my sound (from technique, articulating, etc.), I will play some slow-moving melodies written especially for vocal tone production like the Concone Vocalises; not nearly as boring as playing one tone at a time. Of course, it goes without saying, that one has to be really concentrating on the tone to make this productive.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Update:
    I am officially back!! I just did a 4 day jazz festival and played a lot of hours. I was expecting to have problems with stamina, I didn't at all. The tone came back after a month, but I was worried about having tone 4 sets into a long night. I survived a cutting contest and a blues gig after playing 6 sets straight. I am still doing some adjusting to the new chops so to speak, but I know I can play well again and I am not scared of playing and having my teeth become projectiles anymore.

Distinguished SOTW Member mascio's Avatar

Sweet! Swing hard Daddy-O!
    Swing hard Daddy-O

Quote Originally Posted by William Bua View Post
    Update:
    I am officially back!! .....I am not scared of playing and having my teeth become projectiles anymore.
    Good to know for those in the audience front row, too.

Congratulations, William. I can relate the pain and uncertainty of having bone graft surgery on my front teeth. My two front teeth are now implants, and they're stronger and better than what I had before, (long history of tooth injuries to my front teeth starting from a young age). I too went through a period where I couldn't play which was a bummer. I too wondered if it would be the same, or if I would have to relearn everything.

I'm very glad to hear that you're back playing and doing well!

Jeff

Hey Bua, I had no idea that you were having sugery. Glad to hear that you have been able to overcome the difficulty. I had a crown done on one of my front teeth (no where neer what you're going through) but I did find I had to make a subtle adjustment so that I was not putting too much pressure on that tooth against the mouthpiece. You've got both front teeth to worry about. Like I said, glad to hear you are overvcoming it!
    Tenor: Selmer Mark VI (194xxx)
    Alto: P. Mauriat PMXA 67R
    Soprano: Kessler Custom Deluxe (black nickel)