P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: bad fall : broken wrist

Default bad fall : broken wrist

Had a skateboard mishap over a month ago and fell really badly on my left wrist. Two surgical operations later I'm still in plaster. They've inserted metal rods for now and plates. "Luckily" enough, my fingers weren't injured in the accident. The injury was serious because bones were broken and displaced in the articulation region...and according to the doctors that's never good!
    I will have to do some reeducation for some while too and not really looking forward to it eventhough i measure its importance for future mobility of the wrist and forearm. The wrist will certainly not bend as far as previously that's a certainty.
    Talking of irregular practice : due to my actual condition i haven't played in more than a month and a half and still waiting ! The fingers have become a bit stiff in the process due to the plaster but that's okay they'll loosen up.
    Keep the faith

Time to take up trumpet... 8)

yeah and the sad thing is i used someone's skateboard to go get something at the corner shop - i thought i'd go faster and back - but i 'm not actually a skater. i guess i'll be more cautious next time.

Please share your broken limbs (lol) experiences in this topic

Hi Mister_Bronson,

I have some experience on your condition - but luckily I'm an operator rather than a sufferer

What sort of operation did you have actually? The fracture of your kind involving the joint surface would need fixation with metal devices. Did you get the internal one (plate & screws) or external one (interlocking rods piercing the bones & skin looking like a scaffolding), and was bone grafting (transplantation of your own bone substance from another site usu.the pelvis) required?

You may be mourning about the loss in wrist function. But don't be too pessimistic about that because it's the surgeon's duty to explain the worst outcome of your condition - the reality is to prepare for the worst but hope for the best (I don't think this is defensive medicine) There is a possibility of almost perfect recovery in the range of movement, and it is largely predetermined by how bad the bone was fractured - it would be much better for few pieces of fragment than a comminution. Then it's determined by how skillful the surgeon was in restoring the normal shape of your bone. But bear in mind, cooperativity in following the rehabilitation program conducted by the paramedics would be equally important, as it isn't uncommon there're cases of fragment displacement despite perfect surgery due to premature & vigorous mobilization. Listen to what your surgeon says about the progress of fracture healing and take the paramedics' advice seriously on how far the program should be going.

Sometimes despite every effort the dexterity may still be suboptimal. But I'm not that worrying from a saxophonist's viewpoint as the functional requirement in holding the saxes are not that demanding, and adjustment can be made for accommodation. If finally the outcome is so disappointing and debilitating, and especially if you're young and highly demanding for the left wrist function, you may consult the orthopaedic surgeons specializing in hand surgery for the options on further reconstructions (oh, it's a com-pli-ca-ted issue).

Hope these auxiliary information would let you feel less helpless/hopeless. But please remember that your doctor is still the key person from whom to take the advice. Drop us a line when you have some progress

Steve, thanks for your great response !

To answer further, i have internal plates & screws and no transplantation was required, thank goodness!

I have examined my "protocole opératoire" - sorry but my knowledge of medical terms in english is quite limited so i'm not really able to translate them from French, considering i usually didn't even know such words existed in French either !
    Apparently the last surgical intervention i've had was an "arhrorise" of the wrist. The diagnosis report - which is very technical and quite obscure for non-initiated blokes such as myself - mentions the radius, the retinaculum, a dorsal luxation of the "ulnaire" head (which i believe means that the head of the bone was dislocated), ...

Have an appointment tomorrow to change my plaster yet again so no playing for now.

Oh, by the way what's a comminution ?
    If you are intersted to see my x-rays, i would be glad to mail them to you!

Cheers.

How did I know that it had something to do with skating?
    (I've skated for 24 years)
    I wish you well in your recovery.
    .........and stay away from skateboards.

when I broke my wrist, ( not as bad a break as yours) the doctor wanted to set my arm in a sling over my chest. I had him set it on my side, in the position I would have if I was playing sax. I was able to paly the whole time my arm was in the cast!

Just like kingperkoff I had the plasterer put my arm into the right position for sax playing before putting it in the plaster. Luckily my GP was in the hospital that day and had his sax with him (to practice on his lunch break I assume)
    Sincerely, your local Lame Alto Busker