P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Women sax players.

Default Re: Women sax players.

I'll chime regarding the multi-skills of Jennifer Hall. I've know Jennifer a long time, and I was very recently in the studio with Jennifer on a Big Band date. She played Bari, Bass Clarinet, Clarinet, Flute, and Alto Flute. Jennifer has great sounds on all her axes and she's a sight reading machine. She never missed anything - even when the composers wrote crazy Bari parts that jumped around a lot. AND Jennifer cooked and brought lunch for the entire big band !!! Her lentil soup gets 5 stars!
    Jennifer has Bari chair on the Dancing With The Stars band, and is currently in "The Color Purple" theater orchestra in downtown Los Angeles.

Hey guys,

I'm looking for the name of Female Jazz Saxophone player from Japan. She's pretty good at Bebop, and I can't remember if she played tenor or alto. I remember reading an article about her and it said she was fairly untrained in music, BUT that she was starting receive formal training. I can't find her anywhere cuz I don't remember her name. All help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

Andrew

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andyubf View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm looking for the name of Female Jazz Saxophone player from Japan. She's pretty good at Bebop, and I can't remember if she played tenor or alto. I remember reading an article about her and it said she was fairly untrained in music, BUT that she was starting receive formal training. I can't find her anywhere cuz I don't remember her name. All help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

Andrew
    Saori Yano? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMcQZ...eature=related

She's been taking theory lessons with James Moody, who encouraged her to learn more theory.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Distinguished SOTW Member goodsax's Avatar

Hey guys,

Thanks,

Andrew
    Kaori Kobayashi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnl-IWnOmq4) is in the same league as Saori Yano, IMO. They're both very good jazz alto sax players.
    Last edited by goodsax; 05-24-2009 at 12:31 AM. Reason: added link

I third Ada Rovatti. I own 2 of her discs and each one is really good. She is really nice and gave me one of her charts, free of charge. She plays a lot like Michael Brecker.

Quote Originally Posted by goodsax View Post
    Hey guys,

Thanks,

Andrew
    Kaori Kobayashi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnl-IWnOmq4) is in the same league as Saori Yano, IMO. They're both very good jazz alto sax players.
    Kaori is absolutely not in the same league than Saori Yano (only the same country )

Kaori K. is a smooth / fusion jazz player
    Saori is in the pure trad of bebop (C Parker,...)

But OK, I admit both can really blow

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    Check out Dutch saxophonist Tineke Postma. I love her sound on both alto and soprano, her playing and writing; and she&s only in here 20's. Heard her live in Italy last summer and she smoked! She's got a CD on Munich Records: BMCD 407. www.TinekePostma.com.
    Really great, she sounds a little bit "soprano" with her alto. On soprano, she's awesome.

Check out Dutch saxophonist Tineke Postma. I love her sound on both alto and soprano, her playing and writing; and she&s only in here 20's. Heard her live in Italy last summer and she smoked! She's got a CD on Munich Records: BMCD 407. www.TinekePostma.com.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I picked up two of her CDs (only listened to one so far) but she is amazing. Love her sound.

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thejazzyfly View Post
    Really great, she sounds a little bit "soprano" with her alto. On soprano, she's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by SopranoDwebe View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. I picked up two of her CDs (only listened to one so far) but she is amazing. Love her sound.
    My pleasure. I "discovered" her several years ago in Italy with the IAJE "Women of Jazz" group. I was also at a seminar she gave at the Conservatory of Amsterdam and she really had a worldly, commonsensical approach not only to playing, but about the profession of music, in general.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Quote Originally Posted by LazySaxman View Post
    I don't know her name, but the alto/soprano player for the Hornheads is a women.
    Her name is Kathy Jensen and she actually plays alto/baritone, not soprano. She's a top-call player in the Mpls/St Paul metro on ATB saxes but especially on baritone...man what a monster sound! And that alto sound...wow!

Another name that comes to mind on the classical side is Anne-Marie Wytko, prof down at Kansas State I believe. A fine player who did her grad work with Eugene Rousseau at Minnesota, and quite good looking if I may say so myself. I'll find her website in a bit here.

My bad...her name is Anna, not Anne. Her website is here: http://www.annamariewytko.com/

Hey guys,

Thanks,

Andrew
    Saori Yano? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMcQZ...eature=related

She's been taking theory lessons with James Moody, who encouraged her to learn more theory.

that's her exactly! Thanks man, I'm mad at myself for forgetting to check this thread.

Hi
    Have a look at Allison Neale
    Very West coast & very very good.

http://www.allisonneale.com/

Regards

ManEast

Have you heard Mindi Abair? I saw her perform years ago with Jonathan Butler in Oakland, CA. She was excellent and is out on youtube. Check her out.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2010 magical pig's Avatar

I'm surprised a thread with this title [on this forum ] hasn't had to be edited a 100 times by the mods and finally locked.

Distinguished SOTW Member Rufusax's Avatar

Grace Kelly. She's my age, but man... she's got chops that absolutely make me go nuts.
    Soprano: Schill, HR Otto Link Tone Edge 6* w/ Bonade Ligature, Vandoren Traditional 3
    Alto: Polished Black Nickel Cannonball CSA3000 Wizard, Zhenghao A-6, Vandoren Traditional 3

Quote Originally Posted by magical pig View Post
    I'm surprised a thread with this title [on this forum ] hasn't had to be edited a 100 times by the mods and finally locked.
    Shhh, don't jinx it!
    Mike S.
    SOTW Administrator/Staff

Sharel Cassity is a killer alto player. Her cd Relentless is great!
    YAS 82z-ul Acoustimax Woodstone Lig.
    P. Mauriat 66R Saxscape

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast