P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Runyon for "The Martin" bari?

Forum Contributor 2009 coufplayer's Avatar

Default Runyon for "The Martin" bari?

I play a "The Martin" bari which tends to be a little fussy about mp's - any suggestions for a Runyon piece that would work good with it? I primarily play big band, jazz standards, - that kind of stuff, with a little funk mixed in once in a while.

I know you asked for Runyon recomendations, but I'll give you mine anyway. Hard rubber Otto Link. I use on one my The Martin and I love it. I play big band, small band, rock band, you name it. Everyone I have ever played with has comented on what a cool sound I am able to get with this set-up.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Guru MojoBari's Avatar

Quantum.

Thanks for the replies. The Quantum is definitely on my list of mp's to try. Mojo - I noticed that you have a "13" on your site - I'm not sure I'm man enough for that one!

I wouldn't mind trying a rubber link, but I don't believe that's what I'm after. I know I don't like the metal STM, it just seemed to sound real stuffy and with not near enough resistance for me.

Just got my Runyon Quantum (plastic) from Paul Coats - I like it! I got the "10" facing and it works great with "3" plasticovers - what a sound! - it roars if you push it, but you really can play pretty with it too if you back off. I got the spoiler, but if I was to do it over, I wouldn't bother. The spoiler ads some volume and edge, but it really doesn't need it. Also, I can't seem the get the low notes out of my "The Martin" bari with the spoiler on - probably just me and I expect would come with time if I tried.

Intonation is fine - still have to be careful with middle "E" and "F", but I'm used to that (typical of "The Martin" bari's). It even goes further on my cork then I thought it would - I used some teflon tape on the cork to help hold it tight. I talked with Paul about asking Runyon if they would make some "The Martin" Quantums and and maybe an inch or so to the shank to help us Martinites! He indicated that he would check and didn't see why they couldn't.

While I'm at it - Paul Coats is great and easy to work with -responds lightning quick to e-mails, and had the best price on the Runyons that I could find - many kudos!

Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Guru MojoBari's Avatar

Stock Spoilers sometimes chokes off the response of low notes. You can file then down to make them less radical. I take 1/3rd off mine, but still only rarely use them. You can also sand the sides so they fit farther away from the tip.

Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2006 rcwjd's Avatar

I play Mark VI and a Series II baris - not Martins - but I use the Jaguar on both and find it works pretty good - I use the #10 with 2.5 - 3.0 Fibracells. If you want to hear what that mpc sounds like - at least in my hands - I have a few clips on my site.

I use Quantum 12 on my low A Martin Magna (1962) and it works great. I use a Rovner lig and a Fibracell reed. I recently switched to Fibracell on the bari after years of playing Plasticovers. I love the response so much more and the crispness is super. The Quantum gives a great big sound throughout the range of the horn. I recently switched to a Quantum for my tenor too.