Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default Vintage Perfection - Bruno NY

Found a local guy in Cincinnati that's selling a "Vintage Perfection" patent date reading: December 8th, 1918.

Serial: 81647

Can anyone fill me in on this horn? I haven't been able to find any information on them on here or anywhere else.

Thanks,
    Jake

Default Re: Vintage Perfection - Bruno NY

As an update...

I believe that this is an old Conn, I read around and found that another guy had a similar problem and found it was similar to a New World horn. Also someone posted that he didn't know he had on a Saxophone store's website and one of the workers responded that he had C Melody, that it was a Conn branch in New York around 1910.

Can anyone else help?

I have a 'Bruno Perfection' C Melody Sax with the same patent date and a serial number of 104XXX. Mine is gold plated and appears to be a Buescher stencil rather than a Conn...

Thanks for the info.

Actually, isn't Buescher a branch from Conn?

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

Nope. Separate companies. A lotta stencils switched back and forth between mother companies...basically it was whoever could give the seller the best deal, they got the contract.

Old Wurlitzers are like this, too. Some are Conns, some are Bueschers....

Heh. Thanks. I was actually just reading how Buescher was bought buy Selmer in 1963. Still lacking information on this horn if anybody'd like to mention something.

What other information are you looking for ? It is probably a Buescher stencil from the 1920's ? You haven't even mentioned if it is an Alto, Tenor, C, etc...

It is probably a stencil of a Tru-Tone...not a bad horn, but they don't seem to be particularly desirable or particularly valuable either...I paid about $ 300 for a gold plated Tru-Tone Alto...all the others I bought were about $ 100 each and the C-Melody's were also 'about' $ 100. I think I paid $ 85 for the Bruno C-Sax because it is lacking a neck.

I also have a later model Buescher Tru-Tone Soprano Sax which is probably the most desireable one of the whole bunch of my Bueschers.

I guess I went about this wrong. I'm looking at two, one being a Bb Tenor and the other being a C Melody.

The first one says this in the description (I'm getting rid of the unimportant):

"It of course will need pads and a few minor key adjustments here and there. The left hand high F key is broken and will need to be replaced. There is a little tarnishing to the finish but not too bad. I think a proper cleaning will do wonders. I only see a few very shallow light dents. One is near the right hand thumb rest, one on the bottom curve and on each side of the upper bell...It’s hard to make out in the photo but there is some nice engraving on the bell...The mouthpiece is unmarked and in nice condition but has some discoloration and light scuffing. There is no grooving on the bite plate." Serial Number: 81647 (He doesn't mention any letters?)

The second sax:

"Pads are the original white marshmallow type. These are older but still usable. Necessary ones were replaced and the horn is leak-checked and was put into good playing adjustment. No case, will be well packed. Very interesting chance to try a bare brass horn with authentic original-type pads."

Serial Number: #P5221

The one with the serial number starting with the letter 'P' is probably a Conn stencil. The one with 'numbers only' follows the serial number sheme of the Buescher stencil 'Bruno' that I have.

Thanks. I ending up letting the Bb slip by, it went for $250.00 I believe. I'm still looking at the C Melody. I'm still checking this for anything.

Forum Contributor 2012

Just for your info - C-mels are fun to play and it's nice to not have to transpose - but their uses are sort of limted to just a lead horn or small-horn section instrument. They don't play a big-band\marching band\orchestra context - because the music isn't written for one. They were popular before radio - then they faded after the '30's and never made a comeback. Honestly - $250 for a real Bb Tenor's about as low as you can go (but you sure did right to pass on that one ! - it needed $300 or more worth of work !!!) If you can afford $350 total - PM me - I have several for sale - all set up to play and clean

Well, to be honest
    I really just liked it for the historical value,
    I play on a Cannonball Big Bell Stone Series which I rather like.

I guess, What I was going for, is it'd be kind of a nice toy? If you get what I mean?

But nice timing, I was just reading that, when buying a vintage horn, (Especially early 1900s) that you should compensate around $500.00 for repairs.
    I've always wanted to try a C Melody however

-Jake-

Forum Contributor 2012

Yes, in that case, then...they are a fun second, third or fourth horn. So, yeah...for a few hundred bucks it's worth having one, actually.....They are just kinda cool.