Sax on the Web Forum banner

You're a relatively new player. Which Sax would you choose?

• Conn American 24M -- has limitations, but it's your current horn & you're comfy w it

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Antiqua Winds A520LQ -- slightly shabby, but seems to work pretty well -- $250

Votes: 1 25.0%

Antigua Winds A520LQ vs. Conn American 24M Poll

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  robko626 
#1 ·
This isn't quite as sexy as a "Keitwerth CX90 vs. Yamaha Custom Z bare brass" debate...but it's pretty relevant to me.

I have a Conn American 24M student model that's my main horn. Has some intonation issues, but I'm familiar with it and I do okay working around its shortcomings. I paid $300 for it about 8 months ago.

I'm considering switching to an Antigua Winds A520LQ that I tried out last night. It's a little dinged up, but I found it a lot more free blowing than the 24M. The Antigua is also a heavier horn, but it's not quite as well constructed at the Conn. It sounded a bit nicer too, but it might also need a tune up. Money is a limiting factor right now, and this Antigua is selling for $250.

I don't have any performances for another month, so I'll have that time to get used to a new horn if that's what I choose.

So which would you choose?

#3 ·
Thanks Jr. Actually FWIW I was planning on selling the 24M first, and kind of assumed that it would pay for the new one -- so the net effect would be more of a trade instead of an expense.

Not sure if that would change your answer...but there is a implicit value in doing nothing, since it requires zero effort.

#4 ·
I completely agree with JR here. Even if you sold the 24M its still not worth crossing over. Save up money for a higher end horn, and just keep blowing on the 24m for now. Since you only bought it 8 months ago, you've got a long range of experience to gain on the horn! Just keep playing, thats whats most important! I played a student model Selmer Bundy II for 9 years!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.