Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Thread: LA Sax?

Default LA Sax?

Hey I'm new here and for my first post I have a couple questions-

I'm thinking about buying a cool looking LA Sax soprano in the black nickel finish on Amazon, but they're never restoring their stock. And their site looks like a messed up mobile web page. Are they dormant or anything, and are their saxes any good? One last thing- if they died what 's the best good similar-looking soprano would you reccomend for under $1500 bucks? Thanks!

http://www.lasaxophones.com/

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011

Default Re: LA Sax?

Consider this Venus for $270.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SOPRANO-SAXOPHON...#ht_5000wt_941

There have been several threads about these horns. Search on Venus. Here's a thread about the Venus soprano started by CashSax.
    http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...ap-Chinese-Sax
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 2, bunch of other instruments
    Wall Of Blues, youtube video, P-Town All-Stars, get Rich, Cannons (my band in the 60's) and Cannons record

Forum Contributor 2009 saxguy007's Avatar

That Venus is a fraction of the price, and if it holds together- looks like a good buy for a hobbyist.

For the upper end of your budget, you might consider a Phil Barone black nickel soprano-

http://www.philbarone.com/sax/soprano/sop.classic.html

Or a used but mint cannonball stone series soprano on Ebay.

I have to gig with a soprano at times, including wedding processions where my performance is the center of attention. Intonation and tone have to be rock solid. My cannonball smokes. I got my Cannonball unexpectedly because i was in the store to buy a store-in-the-bell stand for my Selmer SA80, and the CB was displayed and I tried it, and it blew away my Selmer. Bought it, unloaded the Selmer on Ebay within the week-- Never looked back.
    Covering the bari part- because no-one else owns one...
    Cannonball "Lady Godiva" Vintage, Selmer Ref 36 and Barone MAC 8 tenors; Cannonball Stone Series and Mk VII altos; Cannonball Stone series soprano and bari

YouTube clip MySpace

Thanks for responding. So what is up with LA sax?

Forum Contributor 2011

saxguy007's suggestion of a Barone is good. I have a Barone black nickel tenor. I originally got it as a backup, but it has become my main gigging horn. Assuming the black nickel soprano is of similar quality and looks as my tenor, I'd recommend it -- and it's within your budget.
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 2, bunch of other instruments
    Wall Of Blues, youtube video, P-Town All-Stars, get Rich, Cannons (my band in the 60's) and Cannons record

Forum Contributor 2011

I don't know anything about LA Sax, but I thought they didn't exist any more.

I just visited the Barone site and I think I fell in love with the black nickel soprano and maybe even the tenor

One last question- should I add the extra $170 for Roo Pads or not?

Distinguished SOTW Member NissanVintageSax's Avatar

I have Roos on my 1920s Conn stencil curved soprano. Best investment I made! No sticky pads, solid crisp feel. There seems to be some controversy about them, but it is a personal choice. On soprano, I say yes 100%! Can't vouch for the larger saxes.
    '60s Vito (France) Mo 38 A.Sax; '22 Harwood Professional C(Buescher Stencil); '26 King Bari; '70s H. Couf Superba II Tenor Sax;'20s Beaufort American Curvy Sop (Conn stencil) w/white Roos blueminorjazzcombo@groups.facebook.com

Quote Originally Posted by NissanMarkVII View Post
    I have Roos on my 1920s Conn stencil curved soprano. Best investment I made! No sticky pads, solid crisp feel. There seems to be some controversy about them, but it is a personal choice. On soprano, I say yes 100%! Can't vouch for the larger saxes.
    Cool! I cant wait to get it.

Forum Contributor 2012

LASAX is still around. They sell them on the on the Noteworthy/Musicdirect ebay store and website. I have an LASAX soprano I bought last year that I like the sound of better than the top of the line Selmer's, Yamaha's, and Yanagasawa's I've owned and tried. Not as bright.

There are many R&R/R&B players today using LA Sax so they must be decent.
    (alto) SA80I - meyer 6m - jodyjazz hr* 6m- rovner dark - vandoren 3
    RooPads rule!!(seamless resos)

Forum Contributor 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jazz View Post
    LASAX is still around. They sell them on the on the Noteworthy/Musicdirect ebay store and website. I have an LASAX soprano I bought last year that I like the sound of better than the top of the line Selmer's, Yamaha's, and Yanagasawa's I've owned and tried. Not as bright.
    There's a black nickel LA sax soprano on their ebay store now for a BIN price of $715 with free shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LA-Sax-BIG-LIP-S...#ht_2651wt_941

Forum Contributor 2014

There is a whole area here for LA Sax: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/forumdi...php?240-LA-Sax
    Life is too short for long tones