P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Baritone Sax Stand Used By Pepper Adams

Default Baritone Sax Stand Used By Pepper Adams

Does anyone know if the sax stand that Pepper Adams used for many years is still in production ? The stand consisted of two parts - one part actually attached to the bell of his horn and another part that rested on the ground. The part that rested on the ground was small and permitted him to play the horn while it was resting in the "stand". I believe I was told by a fellow musician that the stand was originally manufactured in the UK. Thank you in advance for any asistance in connection to my inquiry. Ed

Default Re: Baritone Sax Stand Used By Pepper Adams

Sounds like a Hamilton stand. I think they are still available - check WWBW and places like that. I had one - the base had three wheels so you could roll it closer to you when sitting. But the floor had to be free of cables and stuff, which was a problem for me.

I've been told that these are (or used to be) a major cause of baris having distorted bells. I had one that definitely had suffered that fate...
    "There's not enough kindness in the world...".Dale Turner; "Round Midnight"

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

It's a Jiffy stand. They've been around for a very long time and were still available up to quite recently and may still be, They weigh a ton. Never liked them. An associate has had one on his low A V1 since 1967. I read they stop the bell resonating..maybe an old wives tale,,they usually are.

Just get a SAXRAX instead. Best stand for bari. They have an adjustable which can be played while sitting.

For Jiffy stand, look at this:
    http://www.bill-lewington.com/jiffy.htm

Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss saxtek's Avatar

The new Hamilton stands look like the old ones, but they are very flimsy. If you can find one over 30 years old, they hold up very well.
    Check Youtube for my videos of bass sax, contrabass sax, tubax, and soprillo:

http://www.youtube.com/user/saxtek

E-mail problem

Most probably a Jiffy. I've used one for years, can't be without it in the pit or when doubling in a big band. My bari don't come off it whilst I'm in the pit , bari to my right, bass clari to my left, everything else in between (If the pits big enough!)
    Can't say I've noticed any dampening of sound, more chance of that with Hamilton I would have thort, covers more of the bell area. (I know I used to use one.) Didn't get on with the Hamilton, seemed a bit flimsy and had a habit of going for a walk if you weren't careful....until I blocked the wheels. Still got it somewhere, knocking around in the cellar I think!

Forum Contributor 2014

Jiffy's are built to last for ever. I once kicked one accidentally in my sock feet..never again. It is the ultimate pit stand taking up the minimum of space.

Distinguished SOTW Member and Old King Log SOTSDO's Avatar

The Hamilton "around the bell" stand has maimed more baritones than have high school band students. They work well enough as long as your only requirement is easy access to the horn. On all other counts (space consumed on the bandstand/in the orchestra pit and damage to the horn itself), they are a failure.

The saxophone's design has the intention of suspending the weight of the horn from the ring at the rear of the long tube. The Hamilton style stand reverses this by putting the weight of the horn on the opposite side of the big bottom tube (the bell), in effect slightly compressing this tube all of the time (not just while being played but at rest as well). There are a number of relatively long rod assemblies on that part of the horn, and I have encountered significant numbers of baritones where they are "bound up" and in need of loosening following use on a Hamilton.

The static weight applied is one thing, but when you "shock load" the horn as it rides over a pencil or cable, you can as much as triple the amount of load placed into the horn. Look at old baritones that have been subjected to the Hamilton treatment, and you will usually see "crinkling" where the band and its felt has been attached around the bell. Aside from the cosmetic damage caused, these "crinkles" represent distortion in the bell which is bad for alignment.

And, Hamilton stands are notorious for destroying the finish on saxophone bells. I have beee searching for a decent Conn baritone for over twenty-five years, but every one that I have found during that time shows evidence of having been racked on a Hamilton and that's a deal killer in my eyes.

This is also the reason I won't loan out a baritone. One time I considered doing so, I just happened to be playing in the same pit, and was there when the borrower started to put his Hamilton stand together to attach it to my horn. It was not a pleasant experience, either for her or for me.

Someone makes a wheeled stand that suspends a baritone from the neck strap hook ring. A stand like that would be the best of both worlds, if a bit cumbersome.

Me, I just play it off of a shoulder sling. If you need to play both seated and standing (as for a solo), it's the most flexible solution.
    Terry L. Stibal

Leader of Houston's Sounds Of The South Dance Orchestra
    Offering the music of yesterday, today and tomorrow...the way you want to hear it!
    Visit us at www.sotsdo.com

Thank you everyone for responding to my inquiry. I really appreciate all your input and will follow up on them to see what works best for me. The horn is doing a number on my neck and getting a secure stand that will hold the horn while I am seated playing is a priority. Thanks again. You guys are all absolutely great !!!! Ed

Ed, have you considered a harness? I've been using one for years (a Neotech) and it sure has helped me...

Forum Contributor 2014

Really consider a SaxRax if space isn't a priority. They are the best. A Harness is essential for playing bari for me now, I use a BG and a sling also for exta security.

Years ago, I used a two piece bary stand that was useful with my low Bb Buescher bary. When I sold the Buescher and bought a mark VI Selmer, the stand fit the Selmer but, when removed, the Selmer resonated much better. That stand clamps and deadens the saxophone some, moreso with a lighter bary like the Selmer. I won't use that stand any more.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SOTSDO View Post
    The Hamilton "around the bell" stand has maimed more baritones than have high school band students.
    Yeah, you can always tell when a horn has been used on one of those contraptions.

Distinguished SOTW Technician Chris Peryagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by barisaxbeast View Post
    Most probably a Jiffy. I've used one for years, can't be without it in the pit or when doubling in a big band. My bari don't come off it whilst I'm in the pit , bari to my right, bass clari to my left, everything else in between (If the pits big enough!)
    I swear by my Jiffy stand - it's an older model from the '50s or '60s (I bought it used from a local player who kept it when he got rid of his B&M Champion bari) and in 2003 the flattened peg broke, but I got a replacement part for £20 with the large cast aluminium nut (instead of the tiny wingnut) from Hugh Clark who makes them up in Hounslow.

Never noticed any problems with sound dampening or distorting/twisting the bell of my bari and I've had it fitted since the mid '90s. Much better to use in sit-down gigs and pit work, but do watch out for inattentive buggers when left unattended and be sure no-one puts anything down or has their feet near where the legs are going to be as you want to be sure it always lands with all three feet on the ground instead of landing on something that could get damaged or lifted up and tipping your bari over.

I didn't like the idea of the Hamilton stand as it had wheels (and didn't care too much for its construction) - didn't want my bari rolling away while playing it!

The Adams bari stand is similar in design to the Jiffy but it has a five leg base and there's a thumbscrew on the front to lock it onto the base which could be a pain when fitting in the case.

The base of my Jiffy stand fits in the compartment of my bari case at an angle (stock Yamaha YBS-62 box case) and I had to chop a bit out of and compress the polystyrene lining so the bell clamp part fits in properly, so that saves having to carry the base around separately which is good as that means I can carry both my alto and bari around in their cases without any extra baggage (my flute case fits in the long front compartment of my bari case and a clarinet will fit in the compartment of my alto case with the joints all wrapped up in dusters to protect them - alto stand, flute/clarinet pegs and music stand all fit in my alto case cover).
    F*** the notes, go for the tone!