Sax on the Web Forum banner

System '54

30K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  Pete Thomas 
#1 ·
Does anybody have any recent experience with System '54 saxophones?

Yesterday I tried a new System'54 Superior Class tenor and I'm seriously thinking about buying one for classical use (orchestra & quartet).

Any thoughts?...

#3 ·
System'54 saxophones are great for your needs. If you have tried one and like it, go for it. They are very solid built and will hold up against other pro horns out there. The price are low. Just tell me what model and finish you like and I will give you a good price.

#4 ·
Thank you for the offer, superaction2. But I live in Belgium and would prefer buying an instrument I've tested from a dealer 100 km's from my place than ordering one from 1600 km's away...
The Belgian dealership is offering me a fair deal as well.

Any other experiences or remarks on using a System'54 in classical music?...

#6 ·
Bruno, hopefully someone with experience of the System'54 horns an classical music will chime in and share their experience. Honestly though, I think that the Superior Class-R horns wich has a pure sound, top key action and rock solid intonation will be perfect as a soloist horn. Also check out the Premier Class horns, they are a little more mellow and has some of the selmer vibe I think. A perfect ensemble horn. Just send me a PM if you have more questions.

#7 ·
I've bought it! :D

It's a brand new System '54 Superior Class Power Bell tenor in dark gold lacquer (not unlike the Selmer Reference Alto). It's feel of blowing and depth of sound remind me of my first tenor, the vintage Dolnet... but without the massive tuning problems. :D

At the moment I'm practising to get the exact tone out of it I want. The Selmer S80 E (with Vandoren blue box 3's) replacing the S80 D I have grown out of can be a little agressive on this beauty, because it already has great projection out of it's own and I like to be a smooth player.

I already have the width of tone I was looking for so now it's only a matter of the right set-up to tame this puppy. I'll start with what I have but I think I might switch to a bigger chamber mouthpiece that can match this big bore sax. Out of curiosity I tried my old tenor's neck in the new horn and there's almost a millimeter of bore difference! :shock:

But I already love it to death! :love2: It's tone, the dark honey gold lacquer, the abalone key inlay, it's robust looks and aura of build quality, the big bell with the beautiful engraving... I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. ;)

#20 ·
I've bought it! :D

It's a brand new System '54 Superior Class Power Bell tenor in dark gold lacquer (not unlike the Selmer Reference Alto). It's feel of blowing and depth of sound remind me of my first tenor, the vintage Dolnet... but without the massive tuning problems. :D

At the moment I'm practising to get the exact tone out of it I want. . ;)
What price range did you pay? The web site has prices listed, but seem Very high .

#8 ·
Nice! I have compared the System '54 alto with my Maxtone SX-55A/DB with another local musician who owns last years model System 54 and they look, feel and play very similar although his came with special ordered black roo pads. These taiwanese horns are getting very gooooood.

Post some pics when you review it.

B

#9 ·
Great! Sure you will have many years of enjoyment.
The System54 looks to be well made horns. And the Dark Amber laq is killer.
As Modman pointed out, these horns (system54 - maxtone are very well made. I have a Maxy SX that is a great horn in the same dark gold finish and abalones as your 54. I actually tried to order mine with the Roo Pads, but they didnt offer.

Have Fun :cheers:

#11 ·
The dark amber lacquer attracted my attention, the sound and feel made me fall in love.
My System'54 has the black Roo Pads as standard. I hadn't even noticed untill the dealer told me. :)
If I can get a good shot of the new tenor, I'll post it here. But there's a great picture of it on www.system54.com

#10 ·
Congratulations BrunoTenor to your new horn!
The System'54 SC are of great quality and the different models vary in playing characteristics pretty much. The Premier Class are heavy horns with good keywork and rbust and smooth selmer sound. Sme resistance. The Superior Class Power Bell series are a little refined I think, even better keywork and precis built. Nice big sound. The Superior Class-R (rolled toneholes) have a great attack and big solid core in the sound. Very versatile.

Now go practice your new saxophone. I am sure you will be good longtime friends!

#13 ·
It's great!! :cheers:

I've been playing it for almost a week now and I've enjoyed every minute of it. A warm and full sound, great ergonomics and seductive looks. I know that last bit shouldn't matter, but it warms my heart to open the high quality (embroidered!) case and see it lying there.
In the orchestra rehearsal (the very night of purchase!) I had more 'presence' in the music without standing out, thanks to it's smooth tone. This saturday will be the first quartet practise with the Superior Class, I look forward to it! :)
I've been practising for my public exam (coming May) and my neighbour told me he absolutely loved the music and always regretted when my practise was over. :cool:

For the moment I'm still experimenting with my set-up to get the best out of the horn, but it can't really go wrong anymore. With my trusted Selmer S80D (Vandoren Classic n°3 and BG Super Revelation) it's quite alright, but since this horn is a totally different beastie than my other tenor I thought I'd check out some other mouthpieces. But there are other threads for that...:bluewink:

#17 ·
The best advice I can give you is to go try them out. But prepare to want one. :twisted:

Of course everybody's different. What works for me may not work for you. I have tested a Mauriat, a Yani 991 and Le Monde's Global and Universal, all perfectly decent instruments. But the moment I played the System '54 Superior Class I was sold. I still tried the Premier Class, a Yamaha student model and a Jupiter Colorado, but none of them could make me forget the looks, feel and sound of that Superior.

Hey, de coloribus et gustibus non disputandum est. How boring would it be if we all wanted the same sax? :TGNCHK: So please don't think I'm taking the **** out of people with Yanis or Jupiters or anything. Far from it. And maybe if I had a limitless budget I could come up with something better. Maybe. :tongue1: But for it's price it's a fantastic instrument and I adore it. :love2:

So it's up to you to find out if it'll fit you and press your buttons the way you like it. But objectively speaking (build quality, intonation...) it's top notch. :notworth:

Let us know if you've fallen for it too... :bluewink:

#18 ·
Update:

in my first sax lesson since buying the Superior Class tenor my teacher was very curious for the result. He was there when I bought it but playing a couple of notes in the shop and actually playing my exam pieces with it is something different altogether... And he was impressed! :) He told me it could compete with the best of Selmers. Coming from a rather conservative Selmer-minded man, that's a huge compliment!

And this afternoon in quartet rehearsal I got some really good reactions as well. Great sound, good looking sax...:cool: And for all my playing (orchestra, quartet and solo) it's really great! I can say I'm a very satisfied customer. :)

#19 ·
That is great news Bruno! If anyone are interested to buy one, just tell me. I will get you a great prrice and offer you a one week trial. If you don't like it send it back and get your money back (not shipment cost, sorry).

Thanks

/Roger

#22 ·
Re : Re: System '54

Hello Bruno,
Where did you buy your saxophones System'54 in Belgium. I am a drummer but I also learned the sax in my youth. I like to buy a black baritone. The baritone saxophones are they in stock. You can answer me by private message in French (it's easier for me if there is google!)

#23 ·
Just a small update on my System '54 Superior Class Power Bell tenor saxophone (phew, quite a mouthful :bluewink:).
Last week I did my sixth grade exam on it and apparently the jury was very impressed! 97% and they all thought I was playing a Selmer Reference... :D

#31 ·
Hi Bruno,

it's been a while since you bought your System 54 Tenor now. After a couple of years' use, how is it coping?

I tried out a lot of Tenors before I bought mine, amongst them an Antigua with black pads that was about the same price range as the System 54, and I was very impressed. It played as well as some much more expensive models, and certainly seemed a good tough construction. In the end I went for a Yanagisawa because it blew me away, but that's beside the point.

I'd like to know how well these upper-market Taiwanese instruments stand up to wear and tear, especially if the mechanisms stay tight or if they start developing a lot of slop.

The reason I ask is that I'm thinking about getting a fairly decent Soprano when I come back to Europe for a break this summer, but where I live out in Africa there is absolutely no way I can get any maintenance done, so I'd be limited to yearly trips back to Spain/the UK to have any adjustments made. I need an instrument that'll handle a bit of travelling and hard use.

Cheers, and enjoy your horn.

Eddy

P.S. I was in Belgium about four years ago on a family visit to Ghent, and by pure chance a Jazz band turned up at the restaurant we were eating at, played a few numbers while walking round between the tables, had a quick whip-round, and left. They were utterly fabulous. One day I'll make it back to Belgium, hopefully for the Gentse Feest. You live in a beautiful country Bruno, you're privileged.

#27 ·
Testing a System 54 bare brass power bell R with the solid silver neck tenor.I blew a vintage gold model with the standard neck a while back and like it alot but this UL silver neck 54 is nicer.Very free blowing horn which i like.Very big in ya face tone.Ergos are very slick and close.Testing along with a great MK VII tenor and while the selmer has that selmer core vibe and this 7 would be a 1st choice for softer jazz gigs the 54 ul would be my loud full on choice.Should i keep 1 or 2.I think both.Greedy i am.

#28 ·
Gigged the 54 a few times now and spent plenty of time on it and its a cracking piece of kit.Power is fantastic.Alot in the mauriat 66rul vibe but i think more flexible.Worth checking out for sure.Looks stunning also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.