P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Jupiter 4C vs Yamaha 4C

Default Jupiter 4C vs Yamaha 4C

Ok so I've been playing sax for around 5 months now and my old mouthpiece was a bit crappy and I thought I'd buy a better one. Yamaha being good for sax's I got one of their 4Cs.

Now I've been playing it a while and it seems to sound quite sharp and out of tune and I can't figure out why. It sounds worse than my old one. I'm not sure if it's the ligature not fitting properly or the cork or if it is generally just a worse mouthpiece. There is also the option I'm not used to it yet and haven't worn it in but it's not really much different to my old one.

Any ideas?

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

Default Re: Jupiter 4C vs Yamaha 4C

The lig must keep the reed tight on the mouthpiece and the reed needs to be exactly aligned. No leaks should be at the cork. Are you using a tuner to place the mouthpiece on the cork? All mouthpieces don't fit at the same point.

The reed is secure and aligned properly. I'm not using a tuner but I'm going by ear on position of the mouthpiece.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lol a moose View Post
    The reed is secure and aligned properly. I'm not using a tuner but I'm going by ear on position of the mouthpiece.
    I don't understand this. You say it's sharp, but you are going by ear on the position of the mouthpiece. If you try a different position (pulled out a bit) it will be less sharp. Or else relax your embouchure.

You also say it sounds worse than your old mouthpiece, then "it's not really much different." But then you say your old mouthpiece is crappy.

'm not really following the logic of this.

both of these are standard beginner mouthpieces, and are quite similar. I wouldn't expect much difference between the two, except that maybe I'd personally trust the yamaha more.

Blue Wink Re: Jupiter 4C vs Yamaha 4C

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    I don't understand this. You say it's sharp, but you are going by ear on the position of the mouthpiece. If you try a different position (pulled out a bit) it will be less sharp. Or else relax your embouchure.

You also say it sounds worse than your old mouthpiece, then "it's not really much different." But then you say your old mouthpiece is crappy.

'm not really following the logic of this.
    Sorry I meant to say it's not really much different in shape.

Quote Originally Posted by drumstyx View Post
    both of these are standard beginner mouthpieces, and are quite similar. I wouldn't expect much difference between the two, except that maybe I'd personally trust the yamaha more.
    As would I which is why I got it.

It's starting to sound slightly better now I think I just need to get used to it. I also need to get my cork replaced by the look of it.

Distinguished SOTW Member Carl H.'s Avatar

Are you using new reeds?
    So far, this is the oldest I've been.

So you know....
    Yamaha 4C is probably the best student mouthpiece out there. Really clean and consistent. I have 2 professional mouthpieces (1 classical, 1 jazz) and I still play my yamaha for fun.

I recommend you upgrade to be honest. For general playing and classical I'd go with the Selmer S90 or Vandoren Optimum AL4. Jazz I say go for Vandoren V16 5M. These pieces will give you much better highs.
    The big deal is if you buzz a student mouthpiece and a professional mouthpiece, the student mouthpiece's pitch will be significantly higher and so the mouthpiece makes the highs much worse. But that is no reason for you being sharp. If you're sharp, you pull out. Take a tuner and play an F# and G (with octave key) until both are in tune. Any out of tune notes other than those just means your embouchure is too tight or too loose. When you find the right spot, mark it by using a pen so you know where to push into next time. This is generally where your piece should be, but results differ based on conditions like temperature. If you do not have a tuner while you are tuning, you can play an overtone on low C to get G2, and that will be in tune so you can tune your octave G to that overtone.

Quote Originally Posted by ilthemsc View Post
    So you know....
    I recommend you upgrade to be honest.
    Surely not. The OP has been playing for 5 months. Yamaha 4C ought to be all he (or she) needs for ages yet. I've been playing for a couple of years now and I'm perfectly happy on the 4C (for tenor - I bought a Meyer 5M on alto quite early in the piece but I suspect I needn't have bothered). I can see it being all I need for a while to come.

Also mouthpieces aren't exactly cheap. I mean of course if I had the money I would, we all would. There's also the fact I'm only just going onto grade 4 so I'm going to be using a student mouthpiece and sax at the moment.

What reed and reed strength are you using?

Vandoren 2.

It's sounding much better now I think it might of just been because the sax was really cold on that day. Also the fact I wasn't used to the mouthpiece.

Definately can tell the difference between it and the Jupiter.

Distinguished SOTW Member Carl H.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lol a moose View Post
    Vandoren 2.

It's sounding much better now I think it might of just been because the sax was really cold on that day. Also the fact I wasn't used to the mouthpiece.

Definately can tell the difference between it and the Jupiter.
    Have you read post #7 ?
    So far, this is the oldest I've been.

Jeez, I have been playing for 50 years, have a degree in sax and taught it at a state university and I use a Yamaha 4C on soprano! Should I change???

Quote Originally Posted by bruce bailey View Post
    Jeez, I have been playing for 50 years, have a degree in sax and taught it at a state university and I use a Yamaha 4C on soprano! Should I change???
    I can't say I've got your qualifications, but I really can't see a need to upgrade my Yamaha 4CM on my soprano, I love that thing!

If Brilhart made a soprano mouthpiece, it would be like the Yamaha.