Sax on the Web Forum banner

CE Winds Brushed Vintage Gold Tenor!

8K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  Durand 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm currently saving up funds to order one of these beauties from Brian. I've got a lot of things for sale if you want to contribute to my cause :).

I have been doing a lot of shopping around and decided to go with the brand I already have experience with. Hopefully by mid next week I'll have everything set up and the tenor will be shipped my way!

Just a post to exclaim my excitement.

Check the beauty out here:

http://www.christopherelliottinc.com/CE_Winds_Alpha_Series_Tenor_Saxophone_p/ast18000.htm

and a youtub vid here:

YAY!

#3 ·
I believe so, as it is one of their Alpha series. I can't way to try get it ordered once I get the chance. I'm going to be looking for a brighter tenor sound I believe, and I'm hoping the Phil Barone piece that I've almost never gotten to use will suit this tenor well.

#4 ·
For some reason I really like the looks of these C. Elliott - - especially this one. Add two necks, a mpc, a warranty and a pretty good reputation here, and it looks like a winner. But then when I see the price!! - - I mean, are you kidding me?? No, you're killing me !

Please Let us know how it plays. I'm looking for a brighter sound too and maybe, just maybe, I could swing one too . . .

#7 ·
My Alpha Tenor came today and the horn far exceeded my expectations. It was like I was playing my 82Z but at a fraction of the price. I was very skeptical at first about buying this horn because it is not Houli made horn. I guess sometimes you have to have an open mind. I have done business with CE Winds before and there is no risk in buying any of their fantastic products. I had to return a curvie soprano one time and they were happy to take it back. Unlike some other sellers who come with an attitude or are indifferent. The curvie played wonderfull. It is just that my meat sticks are too big for any curvie. I have been playing my Brushed Nickel Alpha Tenor since the mailman brought it. I just stopped because it is too late and I don't want to upset the neighbors. I have sent many other horns back or sold them because they did not meet my expectaions. This one is definately a keeper. CE Winds has done it again !!

#11 ·
YEAH! I'm very excited. FINALLY a working tenor! It'll be a great move IMO. I can't wait to give it a play through. I was going to ask Brian if I could get a Silver Shocka mouthpiece in the transaction too, but I forgot to when I was on the phone with him. Now I'm rethinking it, as I'd like to save some money for a bit. It will ship Friday. If its quick enough, I'll have it the following week! I can only hope!

#13 ·
Hello Modman, I still have another Omega horn. It is the Florida Model. I basically got the Alpha as a red haired step child to play at places where I don't want to take my cherished Florida Model. I am currently undergoing treatment with a mental counselor for too many tenors syndrome. I had to thin the herd down to appease my wife. The Alpha to my surprise plays like an 82 Z. Bright and crisp. My Omega horn is identical to any top of the line P Mauriat horns. The Alplha is well made and is definately good enough to gig with. Top honors go to the Omega/Pro series. The fit and finish on the taiwaneese horns are superior to the chineese horns. The Alpha gives you a lot of bang for your buck. If I am going to compete against other sax players, I will be bringing my Omega/Pro Series.

#14 ·
hello modman, i still have another omega horn. It is the florida model. I basically got the alpha as a red haired step child to play at places where i don't want to take my cherished florida model. I am currently undergoing treatment with a mental counselor for too many tenors syndrome. I had to thin the herd down to appease my wife. The alpha to my surprise plays like an 82 z. Bright and crisp. My omega horn is identical to any top of the line p mauriat horns. The alplha is well made and is definately good enough to gig with. Top honors go to the omega/pro series. The fit and finish on the taiwaneese horns are superior to the chineese horns. The alpha gives you a lot of bang for your buck. If i am going to compete against other sax players, i will be bringing my omega/pro series.
aagh withdrawls!!!! Want tenor now!

#15 ·
I don't know about the Alpha Series but I have had a Pro Series Dark Vintage Unlacquered Tenor for about two weeks and it is truly a great horn. It responds quickly all the way down to low Bb and all the way up into the altissimo. The tone is a clear round balanced tone throughout the horn. It is professionally setup. The intonation is really superb. It has that, dare I say, VI core to the sound. A great value of a horn at twice the price.

#17 ·
I agree with a lot of the comments here. The DV tenor is a phenomenal horn, and I am playing an Alpha alto that is surprisingly good. If you have a great mouthpiece set-up, the Alpha horns will do the job, but the Pro horns are worth every penny. You won't find a better deal in this lifetime on a top-notch, pro horn. Just one note: the Pro horns are definitely the same quality as the Mauriat horns, but the rolled tone hole Mauriats are darker in tone than the darkest CE horn. Darker certainly doesn't mean better, just different. I feel very fortunate to own a DV tenor. It has no imitations!!!!

#24 ·
Please post some pics when you are able. I was really impressed with my Brushed Nickel Finish Alpha when it came as well. Mine is currently at my techs' shop getting fine tuned. It got bounced around during shipping. The tech was really impressed with it. He is also a top notch player as well as a tech. My Alpha will be a monster when I get it back. Ce Winds always get good stuff !

#26 ·
Well I slept for 12 hours today, so I didn't get any practice yet. And now people in the household are taking their 'naps' so I won't be able to play for another hour. Guess that means its a good time to visit SOTW. I'll be making a review thread later tonight or tomorrow. This horn blew away my expectations. I think I'll take pictures for ya guys right now though!

#28 ·
CE Winds has recently changed the tech they use for setups on their Pro series horns. I understand that he is the repairman that all the pros in the area go to. The setup on the DV I have was done by him and I am very happy with the results. The tech I use here in LA said the guy knows what he is doing. I think that a great setup makes all the difference in these horns that seem very similar and may even come out of the same factory. I am looking forward to getting a DV alto when they get them in May or June.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.