P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Spoiler question/concern

Default Spoiler question/concern

I was cleaning my Runyon mouthpiece the other night and I dropped the snap-in spoiler onto the floor. Unfortunately my dog was walking by at the same moment and stepped on it. After a close inspection and play testing the metal portion of the spoiler did not seem to have been damged or bent at all.
    This made me wonder...is there any sound change if the metal portion of the spoiler is modified or 'bent' slightly? Has anyone tried this? Pros & cons?
    Just curious

Thanks
    Mark

Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Guru MojoBari's Avatar

What kind of dog was it?

Geez, is this the only question?

It was Stella, my 55 pound tan and white Australian Shepherd. And after a once over of her paw I can safely say she suffered no reaction from the mishap.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Guru MojoBari's Avatar

Glad to hear it.

In my opinion, the metal part of the Spoiler does very little to the sound. 98% of the change is due to the plastic baffle part. You could clip off the metal part and hardly miss it. I have done this.

If the metal part is bent such that it rubs the sidewall of the mouthpiece, it could add an undesireble buzz to the sound. Otherwise, I think you can bend it flat or curved and not hear a difference.