P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Jacksonville, Pensacola or Destin, Florida?

SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Default Jacksonville, Pensacola or Destin, Florida?

Does anyone know about the employment opportunities to join a "wedding band" a/k/a Top 40 variety band or cover band to play for receptions, private parties and corporate parties in any of these areas? Are there a fair number of working bands? Thanks.

Distinguished SOTW Member CONN-hunter's Avatar

Default Re: Jacksonville, Pensacola or Destin, Florida?

I´ll ask a friend of mine , who usually plays in Destin.

Thanks!

what instruments do you play John? :')

John, I gave him this thread link. He will answer to you.

cheers

Thanks CONN. Tenor, alto and bari. Backup vocals. Also have my own PA and midi setup to form a band if needed. I will send him some web sites as well. JSAXL@aol.com

you can see him here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkSzh...eature=channel

wow. If you play as well as he does, it could turn to a terrific duo.

Destin FL, by night.

Randy playing his 370 U$ eBay horn, ha!

ahhh! 450 U$ horn

I like this one much, great atmosphere

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5OMY5Eg90M&NR=1

Hi John - I reside in Destin and perform in the local area. I can tell you about Destin and Pensacola where I also perform. The panhandle is sometimes referred to as the "Redneck Riviera"... ha ha. Also called at times "Southern Alabama" due to our being directly south of Montgomery. But despite being a “small town” environment, there is a great jazz society in Pensacola. Their web site is located at: http://www.jazzpensacola.com/. They sponsor an annual jazz festival and they support jazz throughout the year with jazz gumbo's (fundraisers for the festival) and fun events and picnics.

Regarding playing opportunities. Destin and Pensacola are a popular destinations and vacation areas. We have "snowbirds" here in the winter months and tourism is pretty strong in the summer. There are a few high end resorts here (Hilton type). Their entertainment directors usually book a lot of entertainment with agents and entertainment services. The work here seems to be cyclical and there are times when it seems all summer all they want is beach music with steel drums and a guitar player - most of that is based on entertainment director preference of course.

There are a good number of musicians in the area. In the winter, the work seems to pare down to mostly duos and a few trio gigs, with much of the work dominated by single players like guitar players and/or keyboard/singers. Several of the local bars have gone with the "dueling piano" theme. In the spring and summer we have a fair amount of wedding traffic. There are about 6 other sax players around here (Destin-P'cola) who are full timers and some are working either with bands and/or as members of duos. There are a few wedding bands here and they do use horn players (some more frequent than others). The most popular party band around these parts is "Jones and Company" which does a variety of jazz, R&B, and pop music. Their website is located at: http://jonesandcompany.com/ This band gets top dollar and as a result they have not been working as much lately due to the economy.

Hope this helps John - I will be happy to answer more questions if you have them (send me an email). If you are relocating, I wish you a prosperous 2010 and a successful move!

Randy
    www.saxyguy.com
    Last edited by SAXISMYAXE; 04-02-2013 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Edited at author's request.

Cool Re: Jacksonville, Pensacola or Destin, Florida?

Randy, sorry for the delay in getting back with you. Went on the road for two days. Had a real good time with several gigs.

I really appreciate your time and energy with the detailed explanation. It appears that the economic times has got a hold on all of us for a while. Fortunately for us the young people in middle GA still hire bands for wedding and companies are beginning to have parties again! Horn sections are popular up here with the crowds so we do stay fairly busy.

I grew up on the beach in the 50's through the 70's and would like to return. In the blood I guess. Like many people, we moved due to the job situation at the time. But with retirement coming in the next year or so I want to play as much as possible and would like to get back to the beach to do it.

The commercial "party" band is what I enjoy the most and have been doing for the past 20 years in this area.

The next time we get down to the Destin area I will send an email so we can visit.

Thanks again for your insight!.

John - my pleasure! Sounds like a plan. Hopefully the economy will turn to a more positive path and music with real musicians will begin to pick up a bit more. I played several years in the Air Force and miss the fun and friendship of being in a "horn band". Loved the stage band days too. Do let me know if you are heading this way and I wish you a prosperous 2010 and an early Spring!

Thanks Randy! Same for you. Take care and I look forward to the visit. Now just look at that sunset and white sand : )

Distinguished SOTW Member rim shot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saxyguy32578 View Post
    The panhandle is sometimes referred to as the "Redneck Riviera"...
    Yeah... let´s let everyone continue to think that.... the whole area has, IMO, probably some of the best beaches in the world.
    It´s really a beautiful place...

Quote Originally Posted by rim shot View Post
    Yeah... let´s let everyone continue to think that.... the whole area has, IMO, probably some of the best beaches in the world.
    It´s really a beautiful place...
    I have to agree with you. Our secret has been revealed. Southern Living magazine listed our beaches as the #1 sunshine destination in the U.S. The sand and water here are quite amazing.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's no match for me at kick-boxing

Forum Contributor 2009

I spent a week in Destin in 2006 and it was one of the best vacations we have ever had! I did not listen to any live music, but the food and beaches were outstanding. I couldn't believe how warm the water was. I often tell people my only regrets were that we didn't stay longer and spend more money. Mayho
    The same Sax that will make you laugh, will make you cry!
    Yanagisawa S901, Soprano Planet Missing link.

Water temps in the late summer get in the upper 80's and low 90's. Makes for a wonderful day at the beach! Unfortunately, the warm water fuels the hurricanes if they get this far north in the Gulf. We've been lucky lately. Fort Walton/Destin hasn't had a direct hit in about 5 years (knock on wood and my hard head!). Our last big one was Opal in '95 and that one (Cat 5) took my roof off just 4 days after I made my first house payment. One thing that most folks don't realize about hurricanes is that they are a Godsend for the fishing. The pressure changes force the deep water fish to flee ahead of the storm - and every time we have a 'cane approach us directly, all the offshore fishing reefs are restocked with huge numbers of snapper and grouper. After Opal, we were catching grouper off the beach in 30 feet of water - huge ones.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's no match for me at kick-boxing