Sax on the Web Forum banner

Jupiter 547 vs. Yamaha 475 Soprano Sax??

23K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Shaneygrog 
#1 ·
Jupiter 547 vs. Yamaha 475 Soprano Sax??

Which one is better? Pros and cons of both, would help. Im not sure which one to get.

#3 ·
I would think the yamaha to be more solidly built than the jupiter, i havea 475, and they are heavy sops, perform easily and all in all, a good intermediate horn,which some players really get on with.
The jupiter probably isn,t going to be a bad horn, and the bottom line i feel when playing sop" is to consider the sound you are after and the feel[ergonomics], the yamahas are good in that respect, but you may prefer the sound of a jupiter?[persaonally i have never played one].

#4 ·
For starters; the Jupiter 500 series is a Chinese produced beginner instrument (although a soprano hardly is what you start out with!?), the Yamaha is an intermediate horn, and although the Jupiter is not a bad horn, the 475 series is a different league, quite simply!

#9 ·
Taiwanese, not Chinese. The Jupiter 547 is actually a well-built instrument. It suffers from cramped ergonomics on the left hand, though. You'll probably have fewer intonation problems with the Yamaha 475 than with the Jupiter 547.

#5 ·
Yamaha. The Jupiter isn't bad for its price range, but given those choices, I do agree the Yamaha would be the better buy.

#6 ·
I demo'd a bunch of Sop when I was in University, as I needed a decent horn for sax quartet. The 475 is the best horn for the buck. Intonation is better then any soprano I have ever played and the horn is quite versatile. I can play Barber's Adagio for Strings and The Piggly Wiggle in concerts and have no problem getting the authentic sound required.

#7 ·
I can play Barber's Adagio for Strings and ... have no problem getting the authentic sound required.
Ahem, no way you can sound authentic for that piece on a sax. I've arranged and performed this piece for marimba choir, and while the sound is wonderful, it is hardly authentic.

#10 ·
I must admit, I did not intend for people to take me that literally and when I used the word authentic I was trying to imply that with the 475 I could easily work with it to get the desired tone I wanted. Can I make a string tone with a sax? no. But can I give and authentic portrayal of Barber's Adagio with my 475? Yes.

#12 ·
The Jupiter is a "beginner class" instrument and the 475 is an "intermediate class". If you're ever going to sell the saxophone, the Yamaha will definitely have a higher resale value, not only due to it being an intermediate instrument but a more well known brand. You're going to be better off with a 475. I got a Yamaha alto YAS-475 yesterday, and believe me, it was better than most artist series that Jupiter has and it was cheaper too!

#14 ·
Yamaha uses the term "intermediate" for marketing reasons. For many years, the 62 was sold as an "intermediate" model. Suddenly, the same horn became a "professional" model. Next year they will raise the price of the 475 to $2500, call it the 475 Mark111 "professional one piece model" like the Yani 902.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.