Antigua Winds

Default Value of wood Buffet clarinet

Hi,

First time over on the clarinet side. Play mostly saxophone. I have an opportunity to trade a vintage saxophone for a is a post-WWII era Buffet-Crampon wood clarinet made in France, serial #37657. I believe it was made around 1947.

Can someone tell me the value of this clarinet? I really know nothing about clarinets only saxophones. I heard wood Buffets are good but can't tell if this is an intermediate or professional clarinet. I read the R13's made in the 1950's were a good line.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer
    Forum Contributor 2008

Default Re: Value of wood Buffet clarinet

Before circa 1989 (?) all models stamped Buffet (and not sponsored by Buffet, etc) were one of their professional models. From your one picture it looks like a professional model.

If you had a serail number list you could check the more exact vintage here
    http://www.clarinetperfection.com/cl...t.htm#BuffetSN

If you want to know more about the various Buffets over the years look at this
    http://www.clarinetperfection.com/cl...Identification

But the pre 1955s Buffets are fantastic playing professional models. And players love playing them going back to their earlier instruments.
    I cannot tell anything from your pictures as they are too small and don't show keywork. But the post WWII era from 1945 to 1954 are excellent clarinets.

on eBay last year their value was consistently in the mid $400s. Then in the fall they just dropped like a rock overnight to the $200s. I haven't seen much of them since. But if you are buying them with a warranty, overhauled, etc they can have a higher value upon purchasing. here's more info about clarinet values
    http://www.clarinetperfection.com/ClarinetValue.htm

Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist

It will depend a lot on its condition.

Some old instruments, like vintage cars, need an enormous amount of expensive attention before they are restored to being an instrument of value, playing to potential and reliable.

If the value after that attention is close to the cost of the attention, then the value before the attention is realistically close to nil.
    Contentment is not the fulfilment of what you want, but the realisation of how much you already have.

Thanks for your feedback and resources.

Steve, your website was very helpfull. It looks to be the pre R13 professional model. I have not seen the condition but it looks like the seller inherited from his Grandma. According to the seller it was professionally serviced, re-corked, and re-padded about 10 years ago when it was given to him and was played with care for only about a year after that. Assuming this is true it sounds like it is in good condition.

Not sure if it's worth a saxophone trade or the $1,000 asking price? I have a Buescher 140 alto in great condtion, orginal lacquer I got real cheap that I was considering a trade. I have plenty of saxophones but no clarinets. Really would like a bass clarinet.

Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist

"... According to the seller it was professionally serviced, re-corked ..."

We see this so many times, but the statement is only as good as the technican doing the work, and what the cusotomer was prepared to pay at the time.

I've learnt to take the statement as meaningless until I can examine the instrument.
    Contentment is not the fulfilment of what you want, but the realisation of how much you already have.

Distinguished SOTW Member.

No, it would not be worth $1000.00. Pre R13's can be nice clarinets but they only sell for about 1/2 or less his asking price in tip -top shape. I would have it checked by a tech for cracks, etc. Also, for a short period just befor the R-13, there was a group of Buffets made which had some tuning problems. The word Academy was stamped under the Buffet logo and sold as a second line. They are worth much less than the first line horns.

Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer
    Forum Contributor 2008

As mentioned, I don't know where you got the $1,000 from but right now if it showd up on eBay it probably would sell in the $400 range.
    It having "new" pads and corks which are 10 years old now won't really add much to it's general value .. certainly not $600 more.
    And as Gordon mentions, you can get a $99 repad/cork or a $700 repad / cork .... the prospeective buyer doesn't know and mostly doesn't care .. it was done 10 years ago.

The numbers on my site are from perusing ebay and other auction sites for a while. Pay attention to the leftmost column ... unless you happen to be a dealer or retail music store.

as for a trade .. that's up to you. You wouldn't spend any cash or anything so it might be worth it to you.