Sax on the Web Forum banner

ProTec Alto/Soprano Double Case Review

9K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  cantoni 
#1 ·
Backgroud:
As an alto/soprano player I have been looking for a good double case for a long time. I play in a sax quartet that gigs weekly and do some pit work and having to haul two cases plus music stand, music and other accessories can be cumbersome. I was considering the Gard case on wwbw for quite some time, but shipping was too much, I had also found a seller on SOTW, but again shippping to Canada was too high. The Gard case was only ever considered out of necessity and I wasn't even sure if I was confident in it.
Then I saw a post on SOTW in the fall about ProTec's new double case! I have had my ProTec 'Xtreme' Alto case for many years and never had a problem with it, I have always been very confident in ProTec products. I contacted my rep at Long and McQuade and had him bring one in for me. The price on the ProTec website was $299.99 US, but I got mine for $279.99 CAN.
Initial Thoughts:
Having on seen 2 pictures online, I wasn't 100% sure what I was getting myself into, luckily I had a week to return it if I was unsatisfied. The first thing I noticed was how sturdy the case was and the high quality of craftsmanship. Straps were thick and sturdy, and overall it is very well manufactured. The case has wheels mounted and a handle like the ones found on most luggage, I have no intentions of ever transporting the case this way. Wheels=repair man's dream. Teh case also has top handle, side handle and shoulder strap, but no back pack straps.
Storage
I put both my horns in and both fit snuggly (as they should in a new case). The soprano section has moveable foam squares attached with velcro, I played with a few congifurations before I found the one I was satisified with. This is important, because it will enable the case to hold both one piece and two piece sops. I put mouthpieces in the 2 slots that were designed for sop necks and a 3rd mouthpiece in the hole near the neck slot for the alto. The case also has a large storage area that is divided, making it easy to seperate alto and sop supplies. There is a large front pocket with a divider to hold music (currently holds a 1.5" binder w/ my quartet music in it. It also has 2 large pockets with velcro to seal at the top of each pocket.)
Pros
- Sturdy storage for my 2 main horns.
- Divided storage compartment
- Large front pocket, currently stores music, but could hold a clarinet and flute.
- Adjustable soprano area, can hold either type of straight sop.
- High quality craftsmanship, 5 yr warranty.
- Mutiple slots for mouthpiece/ligature storage, makes everything easy to get at.
Cons
- Wheels and handle just add extra weight, will never be used.
- No backpack straps

Conclusion
Finally, a double case for alto and soprano from a company with an excellent reputation. This is what I have been waiting for! This is going to be my main case for years to come, it makes transporting my 2 horns much easier and free up a hand/shoulder to carry other stuff. Not only that, it holds all of my music and has enough storage for anything I might need while on a gig. If you have been looking for a double case, this is the one.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I don't know if it will fit large bell saxes. My alto is a 62ii.
You could definitely fit an instrument stand in the front pouch unassembled. I have carried my Tenor/Alto stand with 2 pegs in the pouch.

#7 ·
Hello - I am new to signing up to websites and in responding to a forum.

However, I was intrigued to find a review of this case and wanted to respond. I just purchased the alto/sop combo case myself in the last month, and I love it. I, too, was going to quartet rehearsals completely burdened with cases, stands, music, etc. I wished I had a wheelbarrow or a hand truck or something. The combo case is a far more elegant solution.

I agree with smonkman's review on nearly everything, but I have a totally opposing view on the wheels. One of the very reasons I wanted the case was because it has wheels and can roll. Being a small female and not very muscular, I wouldn't want to carry the case too far fully loaded!

In response to Benjamin1979, I doubt it is small enough to carry on-board an aircraft. But it might depend on your airline - check with their carry-on policies.

My own review is two thumbs up ...

#8 ·
Protec makes some good cases. I use them on all my horns except the C-Melody, and it's a Chinese Protec clone from Aquilasax.

I'm looking for a case that can hold SACT&B all at the same time. Suggestions?

#11 ·
Thanks for this review! Does anyone know if it fits a Mark VI without any problems? I have a Mark VI Alto and an Antigua soprano.

#12 ·
Funbags:
I don't have the exact measurements, I'm sure you can find them on their website.

FFshoe:
Yes, a Mark VI fits in this case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.