Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Contributor 2011 thadnoland's Avatar

Default Re: Saxophone too lound!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikkeos View Post
    The e-Sax Electronic Whisper Mute seems to be a good invention, especially the one for tenor sax.

A friend is practicing with one of them and loves it since the moment he put his sax into it for the very first time.
    He tested it in a similar situation, with family members working different shifts.
    They are not cheap, but worth it if you'd have to leave your family or the sax behind.
    I own the E-Sax for Tenor. It keeps me from disturbing my crazy upstairs neighbor. It does have a couple of drawbacks: it is very hard to play in the low register (C & lower), the intonation on some notes can be iffy, & it is ver cumbersome/heavy. But, it reduces the volume 60-70%. Glad I have it > wish it wasn't necessary.

Forum Contributor 2011 F4UCorsair's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayeSF View Post
    yeah...but then that begs the question....vintage new....or new new.....?????????
    I'm with getting a new family.

Marry money....you can learn to love her later.

That was advice I was given about 45 years ago when I worked in a bank, by the bank manager!!

For practising quietly/almost silently a mute case is great but its not great for your playing and you still need to practice without it.

I have one for alto and can practise at almost any hour of the day and night without upsetting the neighbours(apartment)
    (its an older style apartment with nice thick brick walls).

If your still at school, can you make it to school 30 minutes or an hour earlier a couple/few times a week to get in your practice ?
    Or get permission to practice at lunch time in a classroom ?

If your passonate about playing you will find a way!
    but it is important not to **** your family off - negotiate your practise times with them.

Are these e-Sax mutes really good? I ordered one for alto over 2 months ago and am expecting it to arrive in the next few days. At 400 Euros it isn't cheap, so I hope it works.

Adolph designed field horns. Learning to fully articulate at pianissimo is great exercise for the old armature. (But I admit that I tend to switch over to my EWI under similar circumstances, and maybe use headphones.)

Quote Originally Posted by silvertone View Post
    I play an alto saxophone, and have for a few years off and on, but every time I practice I get complaints from my family about being "too loud," and sometimes they will even go as far as to call my playing squawky. And I also hear that they like the way that the tenor sounds more than my alto... They tell me that I should learn to play the soprano because it would be both quieter or to play the tenor because it has a better tone.
    My wife always tells me that she prefers guitar (which I don't play) after she hears me playing my tenor. I'm beginning to think there's a bigger message in there
    "If it ain't fun, I want no part of it, man. That's the only reason I play." - Phil Woods

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014 jazzbluescat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cleger View Post
    My wife always tells me that she prefers guitar (which I don't play) after she hears me playing my tenor. I'm beginning to think there's a bigger message in there
    Better take up guitar...and drop your IQ down a 100 or so.
    A lot of good arguments are ruined by some fool who knows what he's talking about.

Dude, Support this Forum.

Forum Contributor 2012 dubrosa22's Avatar

I'm pretty sure that the problem's not really volume - although all saxes are loud - but that you are just beginning?

Good pitch and tone takes quite a lot of time and practise. Squawky doesn't really equal loudness. Unfortunately to improve you have to play more - it's a Catch 22

I have a soundproofed practise booth which I use a lot which has made regular night practise possible even with a toddler.

Try playing in a wardrobe/closet with lots of clothes and heavy jackets etc.

Alto: SML 'Revision D' // Selmer 'Short Shank' Soloist C*
    Tenor: Selmer TS600L // Otto Link STM 6*; Berg 95/1/M

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Some sax players, according to their setups can be very loud. I am and I like it. I have to wear earplugs because of this since many years ago. With a decibelimeter (a device that measures the decibels) I have been around 120 dBA many times.

Being loud, not necessarily means you have a good sound, but playing acoustically can help somehow. Be proud of your sound and develop it. Whenever the microphones guy says you do not need one is kind of funny and look to the others musicians face as they "need" to be plugged to match you... is cool.

Blow hard.

Distinguished SOTW Member 1saxman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hakukani View Post
    You can be quite loud on any sax.
    Thank God!

roll your bottom lip out, loud and full is awesome, loud and squawky sounds like bottom teeth pushing through bottom lip opposed to the bottom lip out and cushioning the reed. There are a couple of great videos on youtube by Bergonzi and Garzone about embouchure and the bottom lip.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011

Quote Originally Posted by hakukani View Post
    You can be quite loud on any sax.
    I can be louder on my Martin than on a Mark VI
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 2, bunch of other instruments
    Wall Of Blues, youtube video, P-Town All-Stars, get Rich, Cannons (my band in the 60's) and Cannons record

I had an old Conn mouthpiece called an Eagle. It was about 1/2 as loud as a Selmer C*. Maybe a mouthpiece finisher/refacer (several here on the forum) can make you something that doesn't project.
    Yanagisawa A-901 alto w/92 bronze neck, Vandoren AL-3 mouthpiece w/Bonade lig, La Voz med reeds
    Keilwerth SX90R black nickel tenor, Vandoren TL-4 mouthpiece, Rovner Platinum lig La Voz med hard reeds
    Yanagisawa T-901 tenor
    Sankyo Etude flute
    Miyazawa flute

Quote Originally Posted by silvertone View Post
    I play an alto saxophone, and have for a few years off and on, but every time I practice I get complaints from my family about being "too loud," and sometimes they will even go as far as to call my playing squawky. And I also hear that they like the way that the tenor sounds more than my alto... They tell me that I should learn to play the soprano because it would be both quieter or to play the tenor because it has a better tone.

But is the soprano really any less loud than the alto? And how about the tenor, is it louder?
    I'd tell your family to eff themselves.
    JK SX90-R ALTO - Metal Meyer 6 - Zonda 4's - Metal Chain

Not fun but beneficial...LONG TONES...played with a tuner as you work on your pianissimo and keep your intonation.

Is it fun? Nope? But will it make you sound a helluva lot better? Of course.

If it's worth it, you should work for it.

On any sax you should be able to play from absolute air your (lowest) Bb1 in ppp and be within 10 cents (tempered). All that takes is time, a few beers (with friends) and good ears handy from well hearing (and well meaning) friends to tell you when you're really mucking things up.
    Love,
    Yer mutha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12