Antigua Winds
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: SOTW is back!!!

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Default Re: SOTW is back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Harri Rautiainen View Post
    Oh yes. I am working on it right now. There will be a portal connecting the SOTW Forum, the so called SOTW main site and SOTW Blogs together.

And after that I will be in hog heaven.
    Thanks Harri. Damn! What would we do without you?!?! 8^O
    "I'll play it and tell you what it is later. "
    Miles

Thanks Harri!

Looking good!
    Compositions in Music Compositions in Oils Tenor: Selmer Mark VI 92,xxx, Ponzol M2 PLUS 110, Alexander NY 2.5 Alto: SML Gold Medal 15,xxx, Otto Link 6*, Alexander DC 3 Soprano: Yanagisawa S991, Ponzol M2 65, Alexander DC 3 Baritone: Keilwerth 'The New King' 34,xxx, Rico Metalite M7, Rico Royal 3

Forum Contributor 2014 MoonMind's Avatar

Thanks a lot, Harry - and congrats, the new software looks and feels great, and I really like the top-level forum controls for managing views - I didn't find them in the old forum (hadn't looked very hard, either - probably my fault), now they're there, just on top where they ought to be, and everything is working just right! I hope it'll stay that way.

M.
    ss: King (H. N. White, curved); Bauhaus Walstein Bronze AI (straight); Mantovanelli (an Orsi stencil, straight).
    as: King Super 20 SilverSonic; Yanagisawa A-6; Selmer SuperAction 80 II; Lyrist "Briard"; Yamaha YAS-25; Jupiter JAS-769-767.
    ts: Yanagisawa T-500; Cannonball T5; Conn 10M.
    bs: Conn 12M; Yanagisawa B-6; Keilwerth The New King.
    => Support Free Software! <=

Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician & columnist clarnibass's Avatar

I found some problems with the new layout.

- The quick reply now has much smaller fonts, much smaller than their real size in posts i.e. if enlarging font size they would be bigger than normal in the posts. Same when editing a post.

- The huge dark block at the top where the banners are looks terrible.

- Generally posts seem to take a lot more space, possibly a big gap between the end of posts and signatures. This is only in many posts but not all.

- I see a lot of Xs instead of thumbnails/icons. I started having this problem on another website too, but that was before the SOTW upgrade and the old SOTW was fine. It doesn't happen on any other websites though.

- The colours are a problem and especially for me since I'm colourblind. Most websites consider colourblinds in their design and actually it is pretty rare to find a website that is a problem. Especially some things in comparison with the background or with themsevles e.g. the icon for new posts vs. no new posts. IMO there are a lot of problems with this issue.

- When coming to the website when not logged on, the "keep me connected" (or whatever it's called, I forgot) check square is right on one of the banners.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clarnibass View Post
    I

- The quick reply now has much smaller fonts, much smaller than their real size in posts i.e. if enlarging font size they would be bigger than normal in the posts. Same when editing a post.
    That one is a bug in vBulletin 4. It's exactly the same on the vBulletin support forum, and I mentioned it there. I was told it's a known bug that is due for fixing.

(Mentioning this also to help Harri not tear out so much hair trying to fix it!)

Harri, was so hard times this couple days without the forum, and finally you do it again.

Nice job! The SOTW forum is even better!

K.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Guru MojoBari's Avatar

Apparently "User CP" is called "Settings" now.

Distinguished SOTW Member Jazz Is All's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by segaleon View Post
    The contrast between the titles of the "sub forums" and the background is too low: very hard to read. For example, in the marketplace forum, the sub forums are barely readable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoen3 View Post
    I'd like to say that the color scheme is slightly hard on my eyes. But I think I could get used to it. Sometimes it feels like I'm straining myself a bit though. Anyone else feel this?
    Quote Originally Posted by clarnibass View Post
    I found some problems with the new layout.

- The colours are a problem and especially for me since I'm colourblind. Most websites consider colourblinds in their design and actually it is pretty rare to find a website that is a problem. Especially some things in comparison with the background or with themsevles e.g. the icon for new posts vs. no new posts. IMO there are a lot of problems with this issue.
    For me this is the main thing I find wrong with the new version, and you don't have to be colorblind to find it bothersome and hard on the eyes. However, I imagine Hari is working on improving it. I have already noticed that the thread pages now have nicely shaded borders on the sides, and within the posts, that divide the space nicely and highlight the body of each post, making them very easy to read. Last night there were no borders and the type was just floating on a sea of white which ran to the edges of the screen. So thank you Hari and team for fixing that.

However, where are the great search functions that were added last year? Originally at the top of each page there was a button to search the entire forum for any subject directly from any page, as well as a search of the particular thread. Then last year because the search function didn't really work, Hari added the search of the forum using Google. I have looked everywhere but can now only find a button to search the particular thread you are on Where is the entire forum search (especially through Google) hidden now? Have I missed seeing it? Can you bring it back to the top of each page? Please? It was extremely useful.

One other problem has to do with the email notifications I have received since the update. In some of them--inexplicably not all of them--the link to the recently posted message takes me to the first page of the thread and not the last page, even when the post is the most recent one. On a thread with dozens of pages this gets to be annoying especially since it never happened before. Could it be a bug that needs to be fixed?
    "We don't determine music, the music determines us; We only follow it to the end of our life: then it goes on without us." -- Steve Lacy

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    That one is a bug in vBulletin 4. It's exactly the same on the vBulletin support forum, and I mentioned it there. I was told it's a known bug that is due for fixing.

(Mentioning this also to help Harri not tear out so much hair trying to fix it!)
    Just discovered, this bug is NOT yet fixed in version 4.0.1

Distinguished SOTW Technician
    Forum Contributor 2013

One thing that was crutial for my in the old forum, was that it was very easy to scan down the list of new posts for the forum on the right side of the screen so I could go to posts that I was interested in. Now, the forum name is under the post title and is not easy to scan. This makes it much harder to find posts I want to read.
    Jorns Bergenson - Raised in the great nation of Texas. Folks call me "JB".

Distinguished SOTW Member hallkat's Avatar

Boy I had started to get the shakes as I was detoxing...so nice to see us upand running again.....thanks for a great site Harri
    " Healthy people dont need a doctor-sick people do "

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456