P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SOTW is back!!!

Default Re: SOTW is back!!!

Whew - I was worried there for a while - the withdrawal symptoms were awful.......
    Good to be back.
    Thanks for all your effort Harri - (computers never do what you ask of them)

This is going to take a bit of getting used to - its a bit like walking into a renovated house - will poke around and see......
    “We did not inherit the Earth from our forefathers, we are borrowing it from our descendants.”

Quote Originally Posted by AhCheung View Post
    Bravo Harri & team for the upgrade... all this pervasive, peaceful blue...!

I like the new cartoon (supp. Kim's work) with the sax in front of the computer..... Hey, do you still use these thick monitors in Québec?! ;-)
    Ha ha! Thanks but it's not new. That's the old logo which I did 5 or 6 years ago (hence the "thick" monitor ) - I guess that Harri decided to remove the 10 year anniversary logo (makes sense, this is SOTW's 11th year that we're starting) and I promissed Harri a new logo which, I haven't done yet. But now that I see what the old logo looks like on this new forum template (*Aaaaarrrghhh!!*) I think I'm gonna find some time to do a new logo ASAP
    Kim
    SOTW Administrator

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Congratulations on the new look. I'm missing the Statistics page in the profile. That's where I would go to see my recent posts and if anyone had responded.

Also, it seems like too much white space between the end of posts and the signature.
    Life is too short for long tones

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 warp x's Avatar

Looks good! But the greenish space up top where the ad banners are is a bit large IMHO.
    I love the tools in the quick reply! No more need to go advanced, finally!

Quote Originally Posted by soybean View Post
    Congratulations on the new look. I'm missing the Statistics page in the profile. That's where I would go to see my recent posts and if anyone had responded.

Also, it seems like too much white space between the end of posts and the signature.
    MY PRFOFILE

FIND ALL POSTS (I think it only does your last TEN?)

For Statistics:

MY PRFOFILE

ABOUT ME

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 warp x's Avatar

Quick nav is awesome!

Forum Contributor 2011

Default Re: New Look Forum

To see new posts to subscribed threads (used to be under User CP), click on Settings next to My Profile
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 2, bunch of other instruments
    Wall Of Blues, youtube video, P-Town All-Stars, get Rich, Cannons (my band in the 60's) and Cannons record

Forum Contributor 2011

But my search function does not work.
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 2, bunch of other instruments
    Wall Of Blues, youtube video, P-Town All-Stars, get Rich, Cannons (my band in the 60's) and Cannons record

Forum Contributor 2014
    The official SOTW Little Sister
    Nashville, Tennessee (no longer in a band room storage closet)

Same here, it's probably a kink that the mods will get ironed out soon.
    It's only cool until Kenny G does it.

Looks great! It's great to be back! But what about the smileys that should be where the red X's are?
    (alto) SA80I - meyer 6m - jodyjazz hr* 6m- rovner dark - vandoren 3
    RooPads rule!!(seamless resos)

Quote Originally Posted by jmoen3 View Post
    I'd like to say that the color scheme is slightly hard on my eyes. But I think I could get used to it. Sometimes it feels like I'm straining myself a bit though. Anyone else feel this?
    My eyes were already strained at the brightness of the old Forum. Now it is even worse! I spend far less time here than in days past due to so much white.

There are still some visual glitches in Safari, but I bet it will get sorted out.
    Alto: Buescher New Aristocrat with original mpc. and lig.
    Bari: Buescher Big B with Sigurd Raschèr mpc. and Rovner lig.

www.tetraphonics.de

Forum Contributor 2014

PLEASE HELP

Search for posts by LampLight and see if the search function returns any of my posts after 12-13-2009 (including this one). If you do find any posts, please let me know how you set up your search inquiry.

We are all grateful to Harri, but I can only find 21 of my almost 2400 posts, which is a bit of a problem.

Thanks.
    Be cool, be kind, and be well.

Distinguished SOTW Member jazzcat58's Avatar

ahh ive logged in "round midnight"!!!!...yes pleased to be back with you all!..
    Congrats again! to harri![did you doo this with help from the other moderators/helpers? or was it mainly you]

if so thanks to all concerned...now im off to go and havea look around,,cee ya!!!!

jazzcat58
    bs gunning

Distinguished SOTW Member Jazz Is All's Avatar

Well, the 3 hour down time wasn't too bad a wait after all......this is still Monday, isn't it? Amazing how much other stuff I got done in that short a time too....maybe SOTW should shut down more frequently. And if the changes provide easier operation and increased features, than it was worth the wait and the work on Hari's part. So Thanks Hari.

That said, it is going to take getting used to the new look, and truthfully there are some things I'm not so sure about. Like some others I find the new design hard on the eyes. However, I don't find reading the threads too difficult since the body of the posts is in black. However, the New posts page is very hard to read for a couple of reasons.

Most of the type is in this light blue, which is too light a hue to contrast sufficiently with the background, thus causing reading difficulty. Couldn't this be changed to black?

Those big envelope logos are distracting, particularly the red ones which clash with the blue type. If I remember correctly, the old ones were much smaller (and nicer looking) and didn't hit you right in the face like these. Are they really that important that they have to be that BIG?

Also, there is something about the layout and the typography--or maybe it is just the wimped out color again--that makes my eyes get lost and wander around unfocused between the different lines and the different columns. Ideally the different elements should lead your eyes easily and effortlessly from one line and section to the next and not tire them out.

Anyway, hopefully I'll get used to it, and SOTW is still less confusing and much more user friendly than some bulletin board designs I have seen.
    Music is a magic elixir. It renews the spirit and fills the soul with joy -- Jazz Is All
    "It's all about the spirit. The body will be gone in a blink, but the spirit never dies. That is jazz." -- Sonny Rollins
    ParkerColtraneMcLeanRollinsGordonGriffinHendersonErvinDolphyKirkLacyHandySheppMarianoSandersG.AdamsBergSpauldingShorter

SOTW Columnist

Glad to have SOTW back. Just making sure I can still post on here. Looks good. Thanks Harri!

Forum Contributor 2009

I like the look of the new forum. Great job. One thing, can you eliminate the HUGE wasted space at the top?
    Richard
    http://www.MouthpieceCafe.com
    Tasty!

http://www.jazz-o-matic.com
    Free Audio Lessons Online

If I don't practice for a day, I know it. If I don't practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don't practice for three days, the public knows it.
    -- Louis Armstrong

Distinguished SOTW Member jazzcat58's Avatar

i see there is about 5/6 new post by unregistered posters!!,, is this normal on the new site, or is this scamming??

i would find that very offputting in it was permanent..

just my thoughts!...hmmm..
    early days i guess.
    bs gunning

Quote Originally Posted by LampLight View Post
    PLEASE HELP

Search for posts by LampLight and see if the search function returns any of my posts after 12-13-2009 (including this one). If you do find any posts, please let me know how you set up your search inquiry.

We are all grateful to Harri, but I can only find 21 of my almost 2400 posts, which is a bit of a problem.

Thanks.

I am having the same issues. It must be a bug that needs to be ironed out.

I think where some people's confusion is coming from is that the forum now has a new URL.
    This is the old one, and the one in my bookmarks.
    http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/

This is the new one:
    http://forum.saxontheweb.net/forum.php
    PB Bare Brass Vintage Tenor - LAW Buzzer/ Morgan 8E
    Buescher Aristocrat Alto - Selmer Soloist-style .83

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009

Wow I realize this took A LOT OF WORK
    and I don't want to be a naysayer...but I don't like this.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast