Sax on the Web Forum banner

TJ Signature Custom

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  BrianMitchellBrody 
#1 ·
I came acros this on You Tube while looking for something else:

Took a closer look at Trevor James Signature Custom saxes on their website and it looks like a lot of tenor sax at a great price to me. The custom bit where you can select the materials you want for the various bits of the horn seems pretty cool too - and it's made in England!!

Any personal experiences of the TJ Signature Custom out there?

#2 ·
Any personal experiences of the TJ Signature Custom out there?
Yes, I tried a lot of these and was quite disappointed, as I thought the TJ signature was good horn for the money at the time it came out. Of all the Taiwanese horns I've tested (that's a lot), there are only two that really stick out for me, The P.Mauriat 66RUL and the Bauhaus Walstein M2. Oh and the Maxtone SX58T, but this is a very different beast altogether. Not everyone's cup of tea as it is very very dark sounding.

#3 · (Edited)
I can echo Pete's comments - I too don't find them to be remarkable, in fact I feel the Jupiter Artist series has the edge on them. I'd also put the BW M2 and the Mauriat 66R way ahead.

I'm not too impressed by the sax.co.uk's blurb on TJ's materials.
They state that 'phospur' bronze gives a "fuller sound and warmer tone", and that rose brass "has a higher copper content for additional brightness & power"....but bronze has a higher copper content than rose brass.

Another one for my article, methinks:

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/misc/myths_and_materials.htm

Regards,

#5 ·
Well I must say it's a privilege to have two such esteemed names post replies! Since I started playing again my playing ability has outgrown my pre-Bauhaus Walstein tenor, and love it though I have, I need to upgrade to a more capable instrument. Your comments just go to show what an impenetrable minefield buying a new saxophone is on a middle-of-the-range budget, (mine's around £1500 -£1800). I'm beginning to think that the only way to do it is to get in the car when the weather clears up, motor to somewhere like W&B and sit there for a day trying them all out until I find one I like.

Love your books guys. I'm still working 'Taming' before every practice session Pete, and the manual is just awesome Steve, I just keep picking it up and dipping into it.

#6 ·
#8 ·
I sure have read your review of the Bauhaus M2 tenor Steve, several times, and I'm aiming to buy the gold lacquered version when it's available in April.

while I was chatting to Martin at W&B about the gold lacquered M2, he nearly persuaded me to go for the other Taiwanese Bauhaus tenor, (shown immediately above the silver M2 on the W&B website). Martin explained that the horn has a different tube size from the M2 and is a bit 'warmer' yet is of much the same build quality, including roo pads. Being two hundred quid cheaper than the M2 it's tempting - don't suppose you've looked at one have you?

Trouble is while I'm waiting for the gold lacquered M2 to arrive I can't help looking around the marketplace and the fact is that there are a lot of apparently good saxophones out there within my budget. It's a minefield and when I come across saxes that I don't know anything about, like the TJ Signature, I just wonder if I'm too focussed on one sax in particular to the exclusion of some other very good ones.

On balance though I think I'm going to wait until April and have the Bauhaus M2. That's what my head and heart tell me to do, and they've served me pretty well up to now.

Thanks Pete and Steve for your posts - very useful and helpful.

#9 ·
I've seen the gold tenor in question and I'd say their description is spot on. It's got the same setup and build of the M2 but has a warmer, more vintage tone.

The bottom line is though, you don't know if a horn is going to suit you until you play it.

Regards,

#10 ·
Wow! I'd never seen the M2 horn until I read this thread! I was interested in the Phosphor Bronze model, as its quite cheap, when I get a tenor. But I think I'm going to save more money, when I actually get to making money that is, and try and get one of these things! If its good enough for Pete Thomas and Stephen Howard, its gotta be good enough for a measly player like myself :D.

#12 ·
Jared. You might also want to consider the other suggestion by Pete Thomas, the Maxtone SX-58T. I have been playing my SX-58T/DB and although I purchased it as a back-up, it is an amazing jazz and rock horn for an incredibly low price.

B

#11 ·
Hi

Just like to add little rider to the TJ Sig custom discussion. I have owned a TJ Sig Tenor which pre-dates the Custom model and it was produced to a loose spec I provided. My choice was frosted phosphur bronze with silver plated keywork. The build quality has been fine and materials not degraded in the 6 years I have owned it. It was built in this country from parts made in Taiwaan and play tested prior to delivery. however the big difference is cost. Mine then cost £1000 against the 50% loading for the Custom Sig range now offered. I suspect that there is little difference between the two other than perhaps the neck choice having a bearing. I agree with Pete Thomas that it is a dark sounding horn, but then that is to my taste at the moment. For £1000 I am not sure you can buy a horn that is much better from new, second hand yes, as that brings the likes of Y62 into range. There are still Sig models available new from an East Anglian dealer at around £700 mark and I hear that as long as you avoid silver frosted versions then all is generally well. I have not had to repair mine in any shape since owning it and all pads are still fine. I totally bow to the superior knpwledge and skills of Pete and Stephen Howard and can only offer a personal experience. Basically no complaints, mine appears good to me, yet not as expensive as the Custom model that superceded mine or the Rev ll which is by TJ's own utterances slightly less in quality.

Perhaps, as is often the case, it is all about good fortune in build quality, how you look after your horn, what you actually need it for, and value for money. TJ horns appear to have reasonable press without star rating and may be a safer bet than some other models available in the same price range. I would re-iterate though the difference between £1000 and £1500 is quite a lot in a new horn from the same manufacturer. Having said all that if someone offered me a good vintage horn as a swap with pedigree and THE sound I probably would swap out.

Regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.