P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Yanagisawa stencil?

Default Yanagisawa stencil?

Hi everyone,
    I was looking for a tenor to buy and I stumbled across a used Dorado 600 (from an estate sale, so it'd probably need an overhaul or some adjustments) on Craigslist. From what I can find on the internet, these were Yanagisawa stencils. Is this true, and if so, are they any good and how much would I expect to pay for one?
    Thanks very much!

Distinguished SOTW Member

Default Re: Yanagisawa stencil?

yes thats a yani-buy it no matter what the $-you will be glad
    runyon mouthpeices-no need to look elsewhere

Very nice Yanagisawa stencil, if are in good playing/looking condition they cost between U$600-800.

Good luck,

K.

Über Geek
    Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SOTW Member

I've been watching that auction for days--if I hadn't come down with a cold and slept in I would probably have been bidding on it. Even if it needs a total overhaul, that was a nice little find that's probably going to be a great player.

Congrats if you got it.
    "Nothing is worse for a musician than getting an opportunity you aren't prepared for." - Quincy Jones

Forum Contributor 2011 DanSax64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThumpThump View Post
    ... used Dorado 600 ... these were Yanagisawa stencils... are they any good and how much ...
    I have a Dorado 600 tenor. It is definitely made from/by Yanagisawa. It's heavy, with high F#, darker/warmer/beautiful tenor voice and very well/solid built. Mine is old - about 75% lacquer left (dark/honey colour) but no dent/ding. Paid in total of $750 (completely Playing-Condition checked/adjusted/setup and it's the best money spent, IMHO... It's mine forkeep and I love, love it.
    "Life without Music would be a mistake - Nietzsche"

Forum Contributor 2009

Wow - I was lucky enough to score this horn at an unbelievable deal. I've got a Yani T-4 that is an incredible player and hope that this one is as good. What a great find!
    Richard
    http://www.MouthpieceCafe.com
    Tasty!

http://www.jazz-o-matic.com
    Free Audio Lessons Online

If I don't practice for a day, I know it. If I don't practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don't practice for three days, the public knows it.
    -- Louis Armstrong

Forum Contributor 2009

WOW - talk about a bummer! The sax arrived damaged. The rim is bend down and the and octave mechanism is also bent. Sad thing is, I sent the guy specific instructions for packing - to which he responded: "it will be packed well for shipping". Unfortunately, the sax was simply in the case with no packing material around it, and put in a box that also had no packing material. Unbelievable! By the looks of it, this is a good horn and would have been nearly perfect had it been packed properly. Problem now is the damage will cost hundreds to repair and it ALL could have been avoided.

I've written the seller to see what he says. What a drag!!!!
    Richard
    http://www.MouthpieceCafe.com
    Tasty!

http://www.jazz-o-matic.com
    Free Audio Lessons Online

If I don't practice for a day, I know it. If I don't practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don't practice for three days, the public knows it.
    -- Louis Armstrong