Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default Please help understand "Lily was here" - how to play with guitar?

Hi all.
    I downloaded the sheet for "Lily was here" from the site of Candy Dulfer.
    The link (It's legal, it's posted there - under "sax education" for free): http://www.candydulfer.nl/pdf/Lily%2...ALTO%20SAX.pdf

I'm trying to understand the way to play it with sax + guitar and I just don't get it.
    When the guitar should play, is it really for guitar? If so it doesn't match the saxophone sound, it can't play the same notes.
    Could you please explain me how to understand it and play it right with sax alto + guitar?
    Thanks in advance.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 Finnerski's Avatar

Default Re: Please help understand "Lily was here" - how to play with guitar?

http://mysite.verizon.net/res8o1o8/t...ng%20chart.htm

Have you ever learned to transpose? Look at this chart and pay attention to example 1. Your "Lily was Here" chart was written for alto sax, which is keyed in e flat. The guitar is keyed in C, the same goes for piano. So a C on guitar translates to A on alto sax. That is why it your guitar isn't sounding right. Good luck!
    Finnerski

Buy the guitarist a friggin capo!!!!

Or do as I do and specialize in "capo sax" (C-Mel)
    We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality. Ayn Rand.

hello!
    Is there anyone who knows where to find "Lily was here" on tenor sax all I can find is only for alto sax

Distinguished SOTW Member Agent27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cpete View Post
    Buy the guitarist a friggin capo!!!!

Or do as I do and specialize in "capo sax" (C-Mel)
    Simplest solution, have the guitarist capo at the 3rd fret and play normally.

Or use the chart above to manually transpose all the chords.

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar
    Hawaiian homey, German resident, doing time in Texas

Personally, I would transpose the sax phrases, not have the guitarist use a capo. There's a reason the notes were originally written and played in that given registers of both instruments. Moving the whole thing up or down for both instruments changes the quality of sound in both instruments.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

is anybody able to tell me what type of saxaphone is used in lily was here?

Quote Originally Posted by Moocow View Post
    is anybody able to tell me what type of saxaphone is used in lily was here?
    Candy is playing her Alto Sax (love that song!)