P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Kessler Custom on the way!!!

Default Kessler Custom on the way!!!

After reading the endless positive reviews here on this forum, I finally called and ordered a Custom Alto from Dave today! We had a nice conversation. I know this has been said plenty of times before on this forum, but I have to say it again. This guy is super knowledgeable and friendly. With phones ringing and people talking all around him, he never rushed the conversation or seemed bothered by my endless questions. Although I know he's super busy, I felt I could've talked to him for hours. This is top notch one-on-one professional service at it’s best. My only regret is not finding Kessler Music sooner. Thanks for all the help Dave!

Tim
    Sidon, MS

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 MyMartinTenor's Avatar

Default Re: Kessler Custom on the way!!!

let us know what you think when you get it.

I agree. I purchased a Custom Tenor from Dave about 3 weeks ago. It was a very positive experience and its a super horn.
    Play skillfully with a loud noise. Psalm 33:3b

CraigH

Congrats on the new horn!!

A few months ago I bought a used Kessler Custom alto for my son. It is a very good horn!

I think you'll be very happy with it!

Quote Originally Posted by dgriffin0 View Post
    I agree. I purchased a Custom Tenor from Dave about 3 weeks ago. It was a very positive experience and its a super horn.
    Which Tenor did you get? Standard, Deluxe, or Handmade, and how did you arrive at the decision? I'm looking at the same purchase.

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
    W. Islip NY This is center o fLong Island

All true about Dave Kessler, My Copper hand mde Custom, is one fantastic horn, probably beest looking horn around (superb quality too). ********Just to add I just saw Kessl;er is selling a special on his Customs, , New for $1100, for Alto and $1,200. Tenor, figures , I paid $1,500 (no mouthpiece) for mine ! BB

Distinguished SOTW Member ratracer's Avatar

Congrats on the Custom alto and welcome to the Kessler family! My Custom Deluxe tenor will be three this January. Been a great horn. No problems at all. Would like to get a matching set of bari and sop but that's got to wait for a few more Christmas bonuses for that to come about! You should get it in a week. Don't forget to come back and post first impressions. Then after another month or so, give us an update!

Cheers!

Oh, and btw, I guess Dave gets his manners from Chuck (his dad) my email exchanges with Dave and phone conversation with Chuck were just as you described. Man, must run in the family, eh?!!
    Last edited by ratracer; 12-31-2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by 35TangoTango View Post
    Which Tenor did you get? Standard, Deluxe, or Handmade, and how did you arrive at the decision? I'm looking at the same purchase.

I went with the "Standard" one with the Handmade neck and the 50OL7 MP. The engraving on the Deluxe is a little too much my taste. I would probably have gone with the Handmade version had they offered a "plain" one.

This is my first tenor and I love it. I have played Alto for over 10 years. I wish I had added the tenor sooner.

I went with the "Standard" one with the Handmade neck and the 50OL7 MP. The engraving on the Deluxe is a little too much my taste. I would probably have gone with the Handmade version had they offered a "plain" one.

This is my first tenor and I love it. I have played Alto for over 10 years. I wish I had added the tenor sooner.
    How is the handmade neck working out for you? I bought my son a Standard and was thinking of getting one for myself and was wondering about the handmade neck option.

I'd also be interested in how that handmade neck is working for you. Dave recommended it, but I just didn't have the $$$ to get it with the sax. Maybe in a few months. It would be very interesting to hear a comparison sound clip ie. same player, same sax, same mouthpiece, stock neck, then Handmade.

Quote Originally Posted by olhonker View Post
    All true about Dave Kessler, My Copper hand mde Custom, is one fantastic horn, probably beest looking horn around (superb quality too). ********Just to add I just saw Kessl;er is selling a special on his Customs, , New for $1100, for Alto and $1,200. Tenor, figures , I paid $1,500 (no mouthpiece) for mine ! BB
    FYI... the Handmade series has not gone down in price. The Handmade alto is still $1295 (and will likely be going up slightly in 2010) and the Handmade tenor is $1695.

Quote Originally Posted by Houndawg View Post
    How is the handmade neck working out for you? I bought my son a Standard and was thinking of getting one for myself and was wondering about the handmade neck option.
    Well, it seems to give a warmer sound than the standard neck. However; I am behind the sound. I wish I had a good recording device so I could better hear the comparison.

The nice thing is that it is more than just "upgrading" the neck since you get both the standard and the handmade version.

But remember, the neck is down the list of setup issues, with the YOU, the mouthpiece, and reed at the top.

Congrats on the new horn Tim!

I got a Handmade tenor a few weeks ago and I love this horn. One of my
    sons wants to pick up soprano, so I have my eyes on a Custom sop now,
    and their mouthpiece. I like the Kessler OL7Pro mouthpiece on tenor.

First impressions review:
    Got my Custom Alto in! First off, the packaging. It came in an oversized box full of foam peanuts and very well protected. After fishing around in there for a while I found the case. Fully wrapped in a clear plastic bag, it was in perfect shape. Aside from a front pocket zipper that has a bad spot in it that the pull gets stuck on, the case is perfect. I love the big pockets and shoulder straps, loads of storage for an alto case. Upon opening the case I found a beautiful lacquered sax wrapped in a clear plastic bag. This sax is immaculate. I went with the standard engraving, and it’s just the right amount IMO. Looks great, but not overdone. The keywork deservers a full paragraph in itself. So smooth and responsive. After playing just a few runs, it was very apparent to me that Chuck had spent more than a few minuets adjusting and test playing this sax. Absolutely no tweaking necessary. There is no slack in any of the keys… everything is firm, tight and sealed. The sound is awesome. Very warm and full bodied and just easy to make sound good! I didn’t realize how much effort was required to make my previous alto sound good until I got my Kessler. I feel like I can “relax” while I play now…. The supplied NY 50/50 mouthpiece is now in my favorites pouch and will be going everywhere with me. It’s open, controllable and responsive, but still dark. I noticed my vibrato seemed more consistent and rolling with this piece than with my others. Maybe this piece has just a little resistance to it which seems to support my vibrato, Not sure exactly what the phenomenon is, but it definitely sounds and feels like a pro mouthpiece. It’s got a lot of character too, from dark, to edgy depending on how you play it.
    Summary:
    For the money, you can’t beat it IMO. I’d venture to say this sax would hold its own against many of the pro saxes. From finish, to keywork, to Kessler’s professional setup, to the sound, every aspect of this sax is pro quality except for the price tag. I’m not sure I could ever justify buying a more expensive horn now…
    Thanks again Dave & Chuck!

I play 2-3 gigs a week, every week, so I’ll do a follow-up review a few months from now to let you know how things are holding up.

Thanks for the first impressions. I would really like to get an alto and sop to match my Kessler Custom tenor (but that will have to wait a bit) but it's good to hear another review of the altos. There aren't but a couple or so on SoTW seems like. At any rate, Kesslers remains highly consistent through the years and across the horns. I took receipt of my tenor three years ago this month! Wow, doesn't seem like it's been that long, and my impressions of the build quality are very similar to your observations of your alto! Packed extremely well and played as spot on out of the box as I could make it. (Mind you I come from an alto background suffering from tenor-envy until I got my Kessler! And, I'm at best just a very weekend, very high handicapped sax-playing duffer.) It will be good to hear about your experience in a month or so after gigging with it regularly so do keep us posted! Congratulations and enjoy!

Cheers!

I ordered a Kessler Custom Deluxe soprano in black nickel the other day.

Very excited to play the sax. I have played several modern makes of the $1000 and below range sopranos. Many are disappointments, but I did like the Sugal nickel soprano I had. I sold it when I needed the money though because soprano is the sax I play the least. The Kessler Deluxe is a beautiful sax and knowing the Kessler’s reputation, I expect it will not disappoint when played either. It looks like it should be a lot of sax for the $800 price tag.

I look forward to getting the sax and sharing my experience with everyone here. Shouldn't be but a day or two more.
    Tenor: Selmer Mark VI (194xxx)
    Alto: P. Mauriat PMXA 67R
    Soprano: Kessler Custom Deluxe (black nickel)

Quote Originally Posted by saxguymatt View Post
    I ordered a Kessler Custom Deluxe soprano in black nickel the other day.

Very excited to play the sax. I have played several modern makes of the $1000 and below range sopranos. Many are disappointments, but I did like the Sugal nickel soprano I had. I sold it when I needed the money though because soprano is the sax I play the least. The Kessler Deluxe is a beautiful sax and knowing the Kessler’s reputation, I expect it will not disappoint when played either. It looks like it should be a lot of sax for the $800 price tag.

I look forward to getting the sax and sharing my experience with everyone here. Shouldn't be but a day or two more.
    Oh man! You live in Sacramento! I lived there thirteen years, left in 1998. Had I known about Kessler's back then, I think I would have made the drive! Congrats on the purchase and do let us know your first impressions! Cheers!

Nah, on second thought, I would have made it an extended weekend and fly. More time to play all the saxes! (geez, hindsight is so 20-20)

Quote Originally Posted by ratracer View Post
    Oh man! You live in Sacramento! I lived there thirteen years, left in 1998. Had I known about Kessler's back then, I think I would have made the drive! Congrats on the purchase and do let us know your first impressions! Cheers!

Nah, on second thought, I would have made it an extended weekend and fly. More time to play all the saxes! (geez, hindsight is so 20-20)
    It's funny that you say that. Eight years ago I flew Las Vegas to buy a Yanagisawa T-991 from the Kesslers with my wife. I still paid less for the 2 plane tix and sax than Kline music here in Sac was selling the same horn for. Gotta love the Kesslers!

As for the sax, it arrived today and I am pleased! The sax plays in tune and was set up perfectly out of the box. Don't let anyone tell you that a sax can't be set up, shipped, and arrive in perfect playing condition because the Kesslers do it all the time. The sax does not have the cheap feel that so many in the same price range have. I don't play soprano much but now with this sax I can tell that any imperfections are in my playing or me not the sax. It is a stunning looking horn and looks worth much more than I paid for it! The sax a has a rich tone with my Otto Link and the low notes were so easy and rich (like a little alto). The high notes went a little flat but I think that is my underdeveloped soprano embouchure and nothing to do with the sax. I think this will be my last soprano purchase for a long long time. If you are in the market for a soprano but don't play much soprano and don't want to pay the mind numbing prices for a Yani (although they are the best IMO) then this horn is a great alternative. ! The case is a little odd in that it is made for the sax to sit in it with the neck on. I prefer to remove my necks while in the case but nothing that a sock at the top of the case couldn't fix. Otherwise, it is a nice looking case with the Kessler logo. Overall I give the sax a 12 out of 10 for its price range

Congrats on the acquisition! That's too funny about Klines. Way to go.

Hey, what Link are you playing HR or metal? Size and reed please! Have fun!

Hey ratracer,

I am playing on a metal Link 7* with a soft BARI plastic reed. As a doubler that plays very little soprano, I like the plastic reeds because they don't warp when sitting waiting to be played.

Yeah Kline's is a cool store with lots of cool stuff but man the prices! It hard to figure out how they stay in business when the internet offers so many less expensive alternatives for the same exact stuff they sell.