P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Lig for Tenor metal Quantum

Default Lig for Tenor metal Quantum

Hey there!
    I'm the proud new owner of a Tenor Metal Quantum size 9.

I'm playing Fibracell reeds & find that no matter what lig I use-either the stock one or a Rovner that I have the reed slips.

I'm finding that since the mpc isn't straight but instead tapered & the fibracells are very very smooth none of the ligs seem to grab the reed very well.
    It takes me forever to get the reed placed properly, then I tighten the screws & the lig slips the reed is all out of whack, not to mention that when I put my mpc on my neck, the reed slips too...

Am I the only one w/ this problem?
    Does anybody have a solution?

Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Guru MojoBari's Avatar

A Rovner Light L-13 works. So does a L-12 (little snug). The equivalent size Mark IIIs are good too.

On my Quantums (Quanta?) I put a piece of 1 1/2 in. clear tape (like that used for taping cardboard boxes) on the body of the piece (just so it does not cover the table). This keeps nearly any lig from slipping. A clear mouthpiece patch placed in the right spot would work too. I find the best ligs for Quanta are regular two-screw brass soprano mouthpiece ligs. The ones which come with Yani pieces are great; the WWBW brand, which cost about $15, seem to be identical to the Yanis--they are both very high quality ligs. Standard ligs, IMHO, allow a reed to be slightly more responsive than Rovners.

The tape trick worked!
    Thanks!!