P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Tingling and numbness in arm and hand.......?

Distinguished SOTW Member

Default Re: Tingling and numbness in arm and hand.......?

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    I usually sleep on my right side with my right hand bent and under my pillow most of the night.
    I thought I was the only one!

Seriously though, don't take any chances. See a doctor.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

I had tingling in my hands last year. It was fixed by getting new glasses.

Seriously!

As has been pointed out, there are many things that can cause this. In my case it was due to wearing varifocals, and bending my head up while working at my computer, which has two large monitors quite a distance away (more than usual)

I was also getting a pain in my left shoulder.

The neck bending was causing a nerve to be trapped - their are quite a few of the pesky little blighters going up behind your spine into your brain.

Anyway, I went straight to the optician and got some glasses specifically for my computer so I looked at it without bending my neck up and the problem went within a couple of days.

But it could be many other things, so see a doctor.

Forum Contributor 2008 lovesthesax's Avatar

see a doctor!!!
    could even be a minor stroke
    =P

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post

But it could be many other things, so see a doctor.
    Come to think of it, my GP wasn't much use, just said try sleeping in a different position.

It was eventually me that worked out it was because of my working posture.

Neff, since you have an 'interesting' medical history, it's a good idea to have ANYthing checked that changes.
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

More horns than I'm worthy of . . . Mick Stuppguy's Avatar

Bottom line, Neff, is that we admire your work, your humor, your contributions here, and your courage.

As a fellow brain-tumor survivor (1991), and multiple knee-repair veteran (1977, 1979, 1994) I can sure understand reluctance to spend any more time on anything medical. Not only the bad associations, but also a general feeling of "Been-there, done-ENOUGH-of-that."

Then 3 years ago I had bad intestinal pain, and decided to ride it out, since I was sure I'd just gotten into a bad burrito or something. A day and a half later, my wife dragged me out to the car, and after a really ugly emergency-room scene (thank God my wife rarely takes "No" for an answer), I was rushed into surgery for an appendectomy and internal hose-down of all the really bad stuff that was starting to permeate that region. Guess I was hours away from some serious sheeyat. (Cringe . . . )

So, much as I hate to say it, add me to the chorus of those saying to get it checked out. Thoughts and prayers submitted, because Lord knows you've already done your time.
    - Mick -
    Mind frequently on vacation, mouth usually working overtime.

I used to get the same thing in some of my fingers. Sometimes the middle of them would go numb (between the two knuckles) and sometimes my whole pinky down the side would go numb.

My doctor says it comes with the territory. To help combat it, he told me to get some stress balls, and if it happens to squeeze the balls. It almost always helps.

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Blowhard2 View Post
    Ring NOW, Go tonight , and get it over with , and have peace of mind!!

Seriously, Delay may be dangerous!

Blowhard2
    I second this. I'm a guitarist as well as a saxophonist and I've had my share of instrument-related problems. There was a time when I had tendinitis in a finger and I had to stop playing guitar for two years. I've had several other occasions where I had to stop for 10 months, 5 months, etc. It's very frustrating. So I've learned that as soon as I start feeling something strange in my arms or fingers, I should go to a doctor (preferably,a chiropractic) IMMEDIATELY. Delaying may only widen the period that you'll have to stop playing. In the meantime, slow down your practice. For example, do very small segments and don't push it too hard. In lessons, have the students play more and you less. Good luck, I've been there! Sincerely, I think that drinking water may be useful, but I wouldn't rely on that at all.
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI, Ted Klum Focustone Solid Silver Handcrafted 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 3M reeds, Marc Jean ligature

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010 DaddyRabbit's Avatar

Steve,
    If you don't like gin, try scotch. Come to think of it, it's time for scotch and practice right now!

Get better soon, man!
    "Everything that is really great and inspiring
    is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
    -Albert Einstein

I knew a guy who got tendonitus in one of his hands from practicing to much. He is a ridiculously good classical saxophonist. He was a graduate student working with Don Lefevre at one of the colleges close to Amarillo where I grew up. He now works with Don Sinta at University of Michigan.

He has done some research and there are certain things that he tells saxophonists not to overpractice, such as the pinky key exercises and lots of other fingering things that are hard on your hands in different ways.

I don't know if you could have that or not, but it made his whole right arm useless for a while, which is bad for him considering it was around Christmas and he had lots of church gigs (a couple of which I got to cover because I was his top high school student and none of the college kids were available).

He practices hours on end though, probably 8 hours a day at least

As someone who endured a year or so of these symptoms and 7 months of misdiagnosis of a RSI / CTS injury (by some of the 'leading' physicians in London)!... See a physiotherapist & take along your horn.....it might not be the problem. My actual problem was traced to a trapped nerve in my neck, which was made an awful lot worse by wearing a neck strap. I now wear a harness, and can not use a neckstrap for more than 5 minutes without all the issues coming back....I still suffer from issues with my back (I'm only 28) from lots of Rugby and Cricket in my youth...and other things!
    Learn saxophone the Cambridge way - Innovative and interesting video saxophone lessons from the heart of Cambridge

http://www.danforshaw.com Get four free lessons from me today http://lessons.cambridgesaxophone.com

Certainly, have it checked out by your doctor. In the mean time, for greater peace of mind, do a search for cubital tunnel syndrome and see if any of this seems familiar. You could start by reading http://www.assh.org/Public/HandCondi...lSyndrome.aspx

I've dealt with ulnar nerve problems myself for at least 7 years. Not diagnosing here, but your problem sure sounds familiar.

in my yard or house or stage or golf course.

sounds like a pinched nerve in your neck...some deep tissue massage or chiropractic may do the trick....good luck

Do you play with a conventional neck strap? I had a similar problem a couple of years ago which was diagnosed as a prolapsed (herniated) disc in my neck, aggravated by the fact that my tenor strap hung exactly on that part of my neck. The doctor said the nerve root was being irritated by the disc and that made pain and numbness radiate all the way down my right arm to my hand.

I switched to a harness and that took the pressure off my neck, which helped immensely (I use a Neotech super harness but their regular harness works just as well). I went to physical therapy for a couple of months to cure the disc problem, no meds and no surgery. Lots of ice on the neck while resting, and a brief respite from things that aggravated that particular spot, like playing tenor, using the computer, and driving.

I still use the harness and have not had a recurrence of the problem. I can no longer play with a neck strap. The downside to using a harness is that it forces you to change your playing position slightly and it looks kind of dorky. You may want to check this out.
    “Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.” - Charles Mingus

http://crazybentbrasstube.blogspot.com

I too suffer from a herniated disc aggravated by the regular tenor neckstrap. For the last couple of years I have used the BG Shoulder strap as an alternate to the harness and so far - knock, knock, knock - have not been bothered by the problem.

I use a regular strap on alto and it doesn't seem to bother me.

Forum Contributor 2011

Today didn't seem as bad for me. I did pay attention to my neck and back and they did hurt in two places. I spent some time with a massage machine today and then a hot bath. I did notice the tingling a few times but it wasn't like the 3 days before at all. It was a lot less. I think I just had a pinched nerve. I'll see how it goes tomorrow and Saturday. Thanks for all the feedback. steve

I had a tingling sensation in my hand and it turned out to be as a result of degenerative disk disease (which the doctor said is actually way more common than most people think, but unless symptoms occur, such as for myself, is largely undiscovered). I had bi-weekly traction treatments for a month and it went away. So far, still not a problem, 7 years later. But, as others have already pointed out, with your medical history, it would really make sense to see the doctor, just in case.

Forum Contributor 2011

Well, I called my doctor and talked to the nurse who said it sounded like a pinched nerve but with my history I should go see my Neurologist down in Boston. I am not doing that for a pinched nerve. To much of a hassle. I'll see how it goes over the next few days and decide then. The last thing I did this over was about two years ago I think. I was having twitches all over my body. You know like when your muscle twitches. Well I had it everywhere. It was so bad it was keeping me up at night. I went to my doctor. I went down to Boston. I had all sorts of blood work done. No answers. So........I learned to live with it. I still notice it at times but I'm pretty use to it now. I do wonder if this stuff is connected. The other thing I'm waiting for is my shunt in my head to give out. I've had it for 5 years and when I got it the guy said the life of it was 10-15 years.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009

You have probably thought of this already but I am wondering if this could be a neck strap problem? Do you have a harness? Is your neck straight when you play?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast