Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. #1

    Default You couldn't make it up!

    Spanish fan calls police over saxophone band who were just not jazzy enough

    Festival-goer claims it was 'psychologically inadvisable' for him to hear Larry Ochs Sax and Drumming Core perform

    Full story here http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009...ochs-saxophone
    So far this is the oldest I've been.

  2. #2

    Default Re: You couldn't make it up!

    Amazing .

    Nothing, these days surprises me.

    I really like Larry Ochs, too .

  3. #3
    Chris Mickel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Charleston/Fairmont/Morgantown, WV
    Posts
    491

    Default Re: You couldn't make it up!

    Wow, just when you think you have heard it all.

  4. #4
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Kritavi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Boston Area
    Posts
    4,637

    Default Re: You couldn't make it up!

    Pretty wild. Larry is a VERY accomplished player although he is rarely in any mode that resembles swing and other familiar aspects of popular jazz. I've heard him many times mostly with ROVA. I guess the poor guy had other expectations and a delicate psyche.

  5. #5

    Default Re: You couldn't make it up!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kritavi View Post
    Pretty wild. Larry is a VERY accomplished player although he is rarely in any mode that resembles swing and other familiar aspects of popular jazz. I've heard him many times mostly with ROVA. I guess the poor guy had other expectations and a delicate psyche.
    Yet, another drama queen .

    Some of these whistle-blowing wimps really need to 'man up' .

    "Call the cops", "call the mods" ... what's next ?

  6. #6
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Kritavi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Boston Area
    Posts
    4,637

    Default Re: You couldn't make it up!

    I'm looking at it another way. Music is powerful sorcery at times. Larry is a master player in some out realms. He can stir some S**t up at a psychic level with some of this stuff. This guy might have reacted the way some epileptic seizures are induced by intense video images.

    Or he might have been a drama queen...

  7. #7

    Default Re: You couldn't make it up!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kritavi View Post
    I'm looking at it another way. Music is powerful sorcery at times. Larry is a master player in some out realms. He can stir some S**t up at a psychic level with some of this stuff. This guy might have reacted the way some epileptic seizures are induced by intense video images.

    Or he might have been a drama queen...
    A valid point to consider.

    When Neil Young played with Buffalo Springfield the stage lights would
    routinely cause him to have epileptic seizures, and he would fall down
    during the concerts into convulsions .

    That's how he acquired the nickname 'Shakey' .

    But I think this other guy is a drama queen .

  8. #8
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Kritavi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Boston Area
    Posts
    4,637

    Default Re: You couldn't make it up!

    It reminds me of how I felt when I saw Diamanda Galas perform Wild Women With Steak Knives.

  9. #9

    Default Re: You couldn't make it up!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kritavi View Post
    It reminds me of how I felt when I saw Diamanda Galas perform Wild Women With Steak Knives.
    You felt like a drama queen .

  10. #10
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Kritavi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Boston Area
    Posts
    4,637

    Default Re: You couldn't make it up!

    No man. Scared. Really freakin scared...
    I think the piece was designed to make straight men feel that way...she is a full on sorceress.

  11. #11

    Default Re: You couldn't make it up!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kritavi View Post
    No man. Scared. Really freakin scared...
    I think the piece was designed to make straight men feel that way...she is a full on sorceress.
    I think I'm getting your meaning, now .

    Ever hear Lee Hazelwood and Nancy Sinatra sing ' Some Velvet Morning ' ?

  12. #12
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Kritavi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Boston Area
    Posts
    4,637

    Default Re: You couldn't make it up!

    Funny you should mention that. Just heard it and was talking with a friend about it this week. Now thats a song I can relate to..

  13. #13
    Distinguished SOTW Member NissanVintageSax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Pine River, MN
    Posts
    4,713

    Default Re: You couldn't make it up!

    Definately Avante-Garde! I could see how it could **** off someone, but it's kind of designed to! If ya don't like it, spend that time on the restroom! I do admit though, that this style is much more fun to play, then to actually listen to at times .

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofDWbrPfKGA

    And another one, w/a little more structure, and a painter .

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=568lF...eature=related
    '60s Vito (France) Mo 38 A.Sax; '22 Harwood Professional C(Buescher Stencil); '26 King Bari; '70s H. Couf Superba II Tenor Sax;'20s Beaufort American Curvy Sop (Conn stencil) w/white Roos blueminorjazzcombo@groups.facebook.com

  14. #14

    Default Re: You couldn't make it up!

    Having listened/watched those two examples, I think I would be going for a beer instead. But calling the cops????
    So far this is the oldest I've been.

  15. #15

    Default Re: You couldn't make it up!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kritavi View Post
    Funny you should mention that. Just heard it and was talking with a friend about it this week. Now thats a song I can relate to..
    Great song, and I love the production values.

    Lee Hazelwood is a genius.

  16. #16

    Default Re: You couldn't make it up!

    Quote Originally Posted by Honker View Post
    Having listened/watched those two examples, I think I would be going for a beer instead. But calling the cops????
    What a namby pamby, right ?

    Trying to get a concert locked, down ..

  17. #17
    Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Artist In Residence Tim Price's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    East Coast- NyC- to Philly.
    Posts
    5,577

    Default Re: You couldn't make it up!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tryptykon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Honker View Post
    Having listened/watched those two examples, I think I would be going for a beer instead. But calling the cops????
    What a namby pamby, right ?

    Trying to get a concert locked, down ..

    YIKES...Maybe someone needs to tell him " have a glass of warm milk and
    go to bed ". LOL
    Check out my Sax Lessons -NyC-Pa-or SKYPE
    http://timpricejazz.com/study.html

    Tim Price- On the Road (Promo)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TimPrice.../2/YGaAWGW5gWo

    Info on SKYPE SAX STUDY W/ Tim
    http://www.timpricejazz.com/skype2.html

    STUFF TO SHED ON SOTW from Tim
    http://www.saxontheweb.net/Price/

    Meet Saxophonist Tim Price / RICO REEDS ; YOU TUBE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGaAWGW5gWo

  18. #18

    Default Re: You couldn't make it up!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Price View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryptykon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Honker View Post
    Having listened/watched those two examples, I think I would be going for a beer instead. But calling the cops????
    What a namby pamby, right ?

    Trying to get a concert locked, down ..

    YIKES...Maybe someone needs to tell him " have a glass of warm milk and
    go to bed ". LOL
    Or a vegimite sandwich .

  19. #19
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Kritavi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Boston Area
    Posts
    4,637

    Default Re: You couldn't make it up!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tryptykon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kritavi View Post
    Funny you should mention that. Just heard it and was talking with a friend about it this week. Now thats a song I can relate to..
    Great song, and I love the production values.

    Lee Hazelwood is a genius.

    I dig him but for me the real overlooked pop music genius is Scott Walker. I've gotten fairly obsessed with his stuff this year. Here are a couple of favorites.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLOTAJQF0Fo

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ-NPo-s9IE&feature=fvw

    I wonder if Larry Ochs is into him??

  20. #20

    Default Re: You couldn't make it up!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kritavi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryptykon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kritavi View Post
    Funny you should mention that. Just heard it and was talking with a friend about it this week. Now thats a song I can relate to..
    Great song, and I love the production values.

    Lee Hazelwood is a genius.

    I dig him but for me the real overlooked pop music genius is Scott Walker. I've gotten fairly obsessed with his stuff this year. Here are a couple of favorites.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLOTAJQF0Fo

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ-NPo-s9IE&feature=fvw

    I wonder if Larry Ochs is into him??
    Anything is possible .

    Did Jack Nitszke(sp) orchestrate these sessions, or do you know ?

    I know he was a common thread in alot of studio arrangements in this period
    but I realize there were others.

    Never heard of Scott Walker, thanks for the turn on !

    I wish somebody could've gotten behind Arthur Lee after his first band
    broke up - he really was another underrated pop genius with a great voice .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •