Sax on the Web Forum banner

Real Book

12K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  Souportwenty 
#1 ·
Could anyone help me find the copy (for free) of the E Flat Real Book? Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
may seem like an odd question, but why learn them in concert pitch?

#7 ·
I wonder if anyone stopped to think that you have to walk before you can run.
There's absolutely no reason not to have a fake book in your instrument's key.

OP they are available for download on the internet. I don't know how you find it but maybe someone can post that here.

#10 ·
The irony is that if one downolads the original Real Books is that illegal? It is illegal to download something that is illegal? :D

#12 ·
Why does everyone expect to be able to get whatever they want for free these days?

It drives me nuts. Work went into that publication. Would you expect to work for free?

Buy it, and be happy to do so. You'll feel much better about spending the money than if you ripped it off from some place.

#15 ·
I've got irealbook (for android) and the legal books. Somewhere around here there are a couple different versions of the illegal ones, too. I paid for all of them. They are handy to have, but I've been trying to find recordings and learn the melodies by ear while just looking at the changes lately. That is a fun way to do it, and I don't have to think about the melodies when I'm at a show.

#16 ·
I did not know about the iReal Book. Very nice app and would be amazing if it had melodies! Seeing as my ipod touch is jailbroken I am going to try my hand at writing a TRUE Real Book "app" for the iphone/ipod but for obvious reasons it can't be submitted to the app store or distributed. XD If I finish it and it turns out decent I'll just keep it to myself *wink* *wink*

If you would like to "help out", any um..."direction" (PM me) as to where I can find versions of the Real Book 6th edition Vol. 1-3 for Bb, C, Eb, and Bass clef in pdf format would be useful. I only own the Bb and Eb Real Book 6th ed. Vol 1 so if I have to scan them myself then the "app" will be limited to just those 2 transpositions and volume 1.

Alternatively I have pdfs of the 5th edition Real Books but would rather not have to use them since they aren't as nice and accurate as the 6th edition Hal Leonard book. =P

Now hush hush, time to get to work!

#17 ·
So just out of curiosity, if it is illegal to upload the Real Books to a filesharing site, and illegal to download them from one, isn't it also illegal for Casa Valdez to post them as printable PDFs on his site? I'm not trying to categorize his posting of that one way or the other, just interested in knowing where the boundaries are.

#18 ·
After some experimentation you can use Amazon's Kindle app for the iphone/ipod touch and buy the kindle versions of the books which are cheaper than the regular sized print real books. The table of contents on the kindle version is clickable so you can jump to songs and such. looks like my "app" is not needed =P

#21 ·
I recall purchasing the "Real Book" years ago through a friend going to Humber College in Toronto. I was not a legal publication then, but it seemed to be an essential tool. I went ahead, despite the laws as I felt I had to have this. I now have a Hal Leonard publication to replace my worn out illegal version and feel good about being able to purchase this great resource. The font is much easier to read and the few tunes that are not included are not a major hassle. I have four versions: C, Bb, Eb and the Real Vocal Book. Like Gary, I think having the book in the key you want is not a big problem. Most beginners would not be able to sight read a new chart anyway. To add the complication of transposition may not be too inspiring. I do reccommend learning to transpose from concert pitch charts but, learning some great standards (memorize the head and changes) is easier for beginners when the charts are in their key may help to inspire them to pursue more saxophone studies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.