Antigua Winds
    Discombobulated SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Default USPS Delivery Confirmation and Lost Packages

Has anyone every had a package with delivery confirmation get lost? If so, was the "confirmation number" of any help? I mean, a) did the post office attempt to locate the package using the number and b) if so, were they successful?

I haven't lost anything, I just got to pondering this question today.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Default Re: USPS Delivery Confirmation and Lost Packages

I dont think DC helps find a lost package. Frankly, In years Ive only lost one package...and I ship A LOT!

Ive had some show up 2 (one 5) months later on a couple of occasions from international customs screw ups. Im amazed so little gets lost...maybe Im lucky.

Im also told that the customs form "tracking numbers" do little to help locate anything. At best the most those yield is when a package left the country and sometimes when it arrived at the other country. That leaves a whole lotta turf to cover.
    Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Distinguished SOTW Technician
    Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Rackety Sax View Post
    Has anyone every had a package with delivery confirmation get lost? If so, was the "confirmation number" of any help? I mean, a) did the post office attempt to locate the package using the number and b) if so, were they successful?
    I recently had a package disappear off the radar. You can read about it in this thread.

After my Priority shipment was 2 weeks late, it seems that my phone call with USPS made my package suddenly pop out of the distribution system somehow.

Delivery confirmation is not the same as tracking; and as such, a DC number is not searchable until the package is actually delivered (i.e. nothing will show up when you enter it on the USPS site).

I believe that for domestic shipments Express Mail is the only option that provides tracking, so if you didn't use Express Mail then I do not believe there is any way to track.

If it was an international shipment, you cannot track it beyond the borders of the country with USPS-period. As Sigmund said, you can only see that it actually arrived in say, Germany or Switzerland, and that's it.

Discombobulated SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Swingtone View Post
    Delivery confirmation is not the same as tracking; and as such, a DC number is not searchable until the package is actually delivered (i.e. nothing will show up when you enter it on the USPS site).
    I'm well aware that the customer can't track a package using the DC number. It doesn't follow that USPS can't, though I suspect that in fact they can't.

Distinguished SOTW Member HonkBopSax's Avatar

I'll take USPS any day of the week over FedEx. I had a mouthpiece shipped to me over a week ago via FedEx ground. It's been sitting on a truck since last Thursday. When I call FedEx, they tell me that it should be here by the end of the day...and then...it isn't. called again today..."It will be there by end of day today, you know, 5 pm, maybe 6pm...10 am tomorrow at the latest." WTF!??!

The fact that I paid the seller $20 to ship USPS with full insurance AND then he went and shipped via FedEx is another story...