Antigua Winds

View Poll Results: Which post should win the Topic of the month December, 2009 contest?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Topic Of The Month December, 2009

Which post should win this Month nomination contest?

Choose from the threads listed throughout the forums, and vote for your favorite post now.

What is Topic Of The Month?
    Topic of the Month is a contest that select posts on which we would like the community to commit to as a group and then comment/discuss on them during the course of the selected month. Any listed thread in selected sub-forums is eligible for the Topic of the Month selection. Click the button found in the first post (OP) of the thread:

Please Note, that is next to the Quick reply button, perhaps too close!

What determines a Topic Of Month?
    Topic Of Month is based on a simple nomination system. Throughout the selected forums, members with adequate permissions can nominate their favorite topic by clicking on the award nomination button below the post.

The topics with the most nominations during the course of the month are displayed on this thread using the poll feature. At the end of the month, the first three topics with the most nominations are the award winners of the contest.

Only SOTW members in good standing with ten or more posts are permitted to vote in this contest.

Past awards - Hall of Fame

If you have any questions, suggestions or concerns, feel free to post here.

Post 1 mpc/1 month challenge

I found this post on "1 mpc/1 month challenge" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month December, 2009"
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008 The A Train's Avatar

Default Re: Topic Of The Month December, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Harri Rautiainen View Post
    Just this -it seems to me that there should be some sort of point system worked out for each (nominated) topic. For example the topic with the most nominations would be awarded a certain number of points, the n.topic with the most posts during the month in play suggesting popularity would get a certain amount of points, the topic deemed most helpful to other players, etc..then you would total the points received and that would be your topic of the month.

If you'd rather keep it simple that's fine -I just wanted to give an opinion as per your request above.

Post RIP Billy James; jazz drummer to Stitt, Jug and so many...

I found this post on "RIP Billy James; jazz drummer to Stitt, Jug and so many..." interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month December, 2009"
    Check out my band, Mente Clara, if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by The A Train View Post
    Just this -it seems to me that there should be some sort of point system worked out for each (nominated) topic. For example the topic with the most nominations would be awarded a certain number of points, the n.topic with the most posts during the month in play suggesting popularity would get a certain amount of points, the topic deemed most helpful to other players, etc..then you would total the points received and that would be your topic of the month.

If you'd rather keep it simple that's fine -I just wanted to give an opinion as per your request above.
    Dear A. Train:
    There is no facility to rate the nominated threads. However they will be visible in the monthly polling threads with number of votes.

On other hand on the top of every thread there is a blue bar with the pull-down menu "Rate Thread". It is not exactly what you asking, but one way to appreciate the topic.

Forum Contributor 2014
    The official SOTW Little Sister

Post Sax-O-Thon 2009-2010..... IT's ON!

I found this post on "Sax-O-Thon 2009-2010..... IT's ON!" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month December, 2009"
    It's only cool until Kenny G does it.

Distinguished SOTW Member Jazz House's Avatar

Post Otto-Link Russian Roulette.

I found this post on "Otto-Link Russian Roulette." interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month December, 2009"
    Soprano: Jean Baptiste Deluxe Curved Soprano, Bari Gold #8,#3 Alexander Superial reeds
    Tenor: Conn 10M Naked Lady, Sakshama Shorty 7*, #3S RJS reeds

Index of Common Questions!!!

I found this post on "1 mpc/1 month challenge" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month December, 2009"

In the percussion storage room, with the cardboard Spock

I found this post on "Sax-O-Thon 2009-2010..... IT's ON!" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month December, 2009"

In the percussion storage room, with the cardboard Spock

Default Re: Sax-O-Thon 2009-2010..... IT's ON!

Distinguished SOTW Member JackLi's Avatar

Flute: Di Zhao 700, 14K Gold Riser
    Alto: Selmer Ref54, MACSAX B.Sheppard MKI 7, Ishimori (GP) Lig. Vandoren V12 3
    Tenor: Yamaha 82Z, MACSAX B.Sheppard MKII CR8*, Silverstein Lig. Rico Select Jazz 3H Filled or Rico Royal 3.5

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008 The A Train's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The A Train View Post

Dear A. Train:
    There is no facility to rate the nominated threads. However they will be visible in the monthly polling threads with number of votes.

On other hand on the top of every thread there is a blue bar with the pull-down menu "Rate Thread". It is not exactly what you asking, but one way to appreciate the topic.
    My point was simply that if there is no criteria beyond being nominated then a topic with three posts for the month on it's thread could beat out a topic with ten pages of posts for the month just because it had more nominations. It seems to me like few post would indicate little interest in the topic. But alas I don't want to be a pest so I'll say no more on it.

Distinguished SOTW Member crazydaisydoo's Avatar

I would like to nominate the Ceora thread, because these kind of threads keep reminding us that it is about playing and improving that counts, and learning new important tunes, and from each other, rather than just the gear .......

Distinguished SOTW Member Rufusax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crazydaisydoo View Post
    I would like to nominate the Ceora thread, because these kind of threads keep reminding us that it is about playing and improving that counts, and learning new important tunes, and from each other, rather than just the gear .......
    +1 for crazydaisydoo, i wholeheartedly agree ................................

Distinguished SOTW Member stormott77's Avatar

Phil Barone Classic Tenor w Phil tone equinox and isotope A Cannonball BB GS w JJ DV 8
    Thats me in round 6. http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxontheweb-blues.html www.myspace.com/stormott

Post Review your Mouthpieces!!! (NO COMMENTS)

I found this post on "Review your Mouthpieces!!! (NO COMMENTS)" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month December, 2009"
    MM in Performance - Florida State University
    BM in Performance & Music Education - Northern Arizona University

Post Composers and their "Intentions"

I found this post on "Composers and their "Intentions"" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month December, 2009"
    MM in Performance - Florida State University
    BM in Performance & Music Education - Northern Arizona University

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Distinguished SOTW Member Turnaround's Avatar

Post 2010 33rd Annual International Saxophone Symposium

I found this post on "2010 33rd Annual International Saxophone Symposium" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Topic Of The Month December, 2009"
    Andrew Francisco
    www.andrewfrancisco.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast