P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: UK customs charges on getting a mouthpiece back from the US after reface work???

Distinguished SOTW Member BarrySachs's Avatar

Default Re: UK customs charges on getting a mouthpiece back from the US after reface work???

What would happen if a horn or mouthpiece being shipped to the UK, was a "loaner" instead of a purchase or repair? As in: "I gave my mate in the States a vintage Otto Link to check out and he's returning it"?

Also, if the UK is anything like Canada, anything valued or insured for $1000 (£600) or more, gets placed in bond. The usual red-tape-BS-hassle would follow.

Default Re: UK customs charges on getting a mouthpiece back from the US after reface work???

[QUOTE=Pete Thomas;1293928]
    Quote Originally Posted by LiAm84 View Post
    Very sorry to hear that, but I suspected this might happen. We all have to go through this to learn their nasty little arbitrary vindictive ways.

I really don't understand, I think it is like a lottery, if someone is having a bad day, they'll slap the charges on, if they are happy they will turn a blind eye.
    Yes, same problems here, including the ourtageous clearance fees. I don't mind paying taxes, but this feels like robbery

For repairs, in the Netherlands, you need a customs form in advance of sending the item abroad. If you can hand over that piece of paper on return, you only need to pay taxes over the repair and shipping costs. Plus again the clearance costs.
    Without that official piece of paper, it's going to be a gamble.
    Grassi low A bari (1976) Meyer 9M / Martin "The Martin" tenor (1951), OL vintage Tone Edge #7
    Martin "Indiana" alto (1954), Meyer 6M / Buffet Crampon "Continentale" Bb clarinet (1972), Vandoren V360

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123