P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Quantums and Jaguars

Default Quantums and Jaguars

What are the metal Jaguars and Quantums like as far as response, tone, intonation, and altissimo performance? Also how do they compare to each other? (this is all talking about alto sax). I'm trying to convince him to get these for our band's altos to use in jazz band.

Distinguished SOTW Member

Convince who? The band director? Is this for high school, college, military? The Jags and Metal Quantums are quite expensive, and if for a high school jazz band, to be purchased by a school, it would be very difficult to pull this off.

For high school players, who probably don't have much experience with high performance mouthpieces, the Runyon Custom Spoiler #7 has proven to be an excellent choice. Price is under $100, and tone and controllability are good for younger players. Altissimo is excellent, and the basic tone has great projection.

Next on my suggestion list is the Runyon XL Spoiler, again #7 facing, for all of the reasons above.
    You are all welcome to contact me at tenorman@teche.net, which is my public email address set up especially for my friends here on Sax On The Web.

Paul,

Sorry about the lack of information. This is for my high school band to own for the jazz ensemble. Money isn't a very big issue; my school district screams poverty, but he (my band director) told me not to worry about the money because he can slip it in with some big repair budget to get a lot of school instruments repaired(I don't know all of the details as to how this budget works).

I put down facing #7 for all of the altos and #7 or #8 for tenors. I recently bought a Runyon Custom Spoiler #7 because of your encouragement and really love the sound. I look forward to after Thanksgiving when jazz band starts to see how well it does as a lead piece.

He placed the order today and ordered several Quantums, Jaguars, XLs, and Jody Jazz mpcs. He also ordered some Beechler and Meyer. I really look forward to trying them out this fall.

These are mostly for our top players. I'm still really interested in the tones of the Quantums and Jaguars and how they compare in terms of performance. Thanks for all of your help on this site. Your advice has really helped me pick out some great equipment so I can further enhance my potential to succeed in my musical "career."

Again, thanks for everything Paul.

SOTW Columnist

I have both for tenor sax, so I don't know how this translates to alto. Anyway, I find the Quantum to be louder, brighter, and edgier than the Jaguar. The Jag has a smooth, rich tone and might be preferrable in a big band for blending. Both mpcs are excellent in terms of response and playability.

saxybeast, email me and I will send you an MP3 of sax section, all Customs. You will find the Custom Spoiler 7 to be a great lead alto piece.
    You are all welcome to contact me at tenorman@teche.net, which is my public email address set up especially for my friends here on Sax On The Web.