Thread: Whats Your Clarinet Setup?

Vito
    Buffet Crampon Band Master mouthpiece
    Click barrel
    Vandoren V12 3

Leblanc 352 Contra-Alto clarinet
    Woodwind brand mouthpiece
    Rico 3

Guess the reason I had to get the Click barrel.

Default My clarinet Setup

Buffet Crampon E11
    Larry Combs 1 (needs to get a new mouthpiece)
    D'bonade Ligature
    Vandoren Blue Box 3 or 3.5 depending on climate

Works well for my classical/pit doubling so far...but need to get a new mouthpiece for sure. Any suggestions?
    We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams

Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 2008

conntenor asked a question about identifying Buffet models. If it is made in France and has no other markings other than the Buffet logo and name, it is a professional model clarinet. The R13 design began around s/n 50,000 - but that point is uncertain. All the other models that I am aware of have the model stamped on them.

Also, you might find later R13 barrels marked R13 - but not the body of the clarinet itself. Hope that helps.

My setup:

Reynolds student model Bb clarinet - it's very poorly set up and has terrible intonation (especially through the throat tones), but it plays, so it'll have to do until I can afford something better... anyone have any info on this clarinet? seems like a no-name brand to me

Vandoren M15 mouthpiece

Classique 3.5, V12 4, and Rigotti 3h reeds

Bonade inverted lig

Click tuning barrel
    A good sound comes from within. Long live jazz!
    V0l2TEX

Buffet E13 Bflat (Kinda want to change it, any ideas?)
    Vandoren B45 (not happy with this either, suggestions?)
    Vandoren Optimum lig (think I'll stick with this)
    Vandoren V12 reeds 31/2

Feeling the need for a new Bflat and also a new mouthpiece.
    Neet to get hold of an A too ...and a Bass..........................This is sooooo expensive!

Any ideas for cheaper instruments? Not too cheap though, no plastic!

Andy - Hold onto the E13, from what I understand it's the exact same thing as the R13 - Buffet's website doesn't indicate exactly what the differences between them are. As for mouthpieces, if you want a closed tip the M15 is pretty nice, but I'm probably gonna trade mine for something super-open (i.e. .070" or greater) just for more tonal control.
    V0l2TEX

Hey vortex, .070 is a monster on clarinet. It's close to twice as open as your current setup and about as open as clarinet mouthpieces get. You sure you know what you're getting yourself into? I own a metallite m9 (.060) that I play just for fun. It's got a high baffle in it, which is uncharacteristic of clarinet mouthpieces. It makes my soprano sax setup sound tame and quiet!

Oh, and in keeping with the topic at hand...

Wooden Clarinet: Modern Bb Buffet R-13 tested by charles west
    Chadash Barrel tested by gregory smith
    Mouthpieces: Rico Royal B7, M7, used to use greg smith for classical but sold it off recently, I have an original Meyer Bros I'm going to get refaced

Plastic Clarinet: Vito student line that needs serious overhaul, has torn pads and battle scars from years of marching band in the past, I like it better than the professionally handpicked clarinet and barrel listed above but I'm using the wooden because this one's unplayable now, use same mouthpieces.

I wish I hadn't spent so much money on the pro-picked clarinet, barrel, and mouthpiece. I don't like any of them more than my worthless clarinet and 15 dollar mouthpiece.

Well, maybe not quite .070" but definately something very open (easier to transition from alto), the M15 is pretty goshdarn closed and I can't get very much volume, especially with my jacked-up clarinet (but I can play really really quiet! gimme a mic!). I used to love closed pieces, but the Soloist E changed my mind, now I'm into open ones - it turns out all the open pieces I'd tried in the past had some serious manufacturing defects.

Of course this is all b/c I still haven't found a good conditioned R-13 that meets my budget, still looking though.
    V0l2TEX

Bundy .577 with Vandoren B46 $ vandoren bluebox #3

By the way, I seriously suck on clarinet. Need to practive the break more.

Distinguished SOTW Member michaelbaird's Avatar

I sucked for a long time until I made myself practice all scales in all keys. It gets easier somewhat. I just play it like I play saxophone and don't worry about it. As long as I play in tune with a good tone, that is my main concern. Everytime I listen to Eddie Daniels I get inspired to play better. It is all about how your put the air into the horn. Having your instrument set-up well makes a big difference. I made a lamp out of my Boosey and Hawkes clarinet. It is too cool.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian paulwl's Avatar

Since last I posted, the Fibracells are outski, replaced by various bits of cane in the 2 1/2-3 range (typically Vandoren, Alexander or Olivieri). I also picked up a Bonacio Conn mpc and a swell metal Buescher clarinet that are making me question seriously my previous habits...

Distinguished SOTW Member

paul-please tell us more about this buescher metal clarinet. i have never heard of one . i dont think buescher made their own clarinets but i could be wrong. does it say true-tone?

Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian paulwl's Avatar

You bet. Triangle stamp & all. It's #237xxx, 3-piece (screw-off bell, unit body, non-removable tuning barrel), silver plate, wide flat rims on the finger holes. It's an amazingly fluid, powerful, in-tune player, although the action's a little stilted and clacky in places.

They had these in the catalog till at least 1933 and also offered an articulated G# model, an Eb, and a Bb Albert. The catalog pictures have engraved bells like soprano saxes, but my bell is just stamped, with the same stamp they used for their mouthpieces. I think it might be a replacement from a nickel-plated horn.

Distinguished SOTW Member

sounds way cool!-lucky you. people overlook how good a really good metal clarinet can be. i am lucky enough to have found a metal selmer paris Bb wich is quite a player. mine has articulated g# and comes apart in the middle. bell does not come off but tunning barrell does. i had it proffessionally rebult and dont regret spending the $ on it one bit.

Distinguished SOTW Member michaelbaird's Avatar

I was thinking about getting a metal clarinet. Are the trutones any good?

Distinguished SOTW Member sinkdraiN's Avatar

Roger you'll be so proud! I finally tried an RM 15

New setup-
    Leblanc LL Bb
    *Morgan RM 15
    V12 3.5
    Gigliotti lig

Forum Contributor 2014
    Distinguished SOTW Memberb

Sinkdrain,

Good for you! I'm happy that you found a mouthpiece that works for you. Please tell us more about your impressions of your set up.

Roger

Selmer "CenterTone"
    Old "rouffeau" (pardon the spelling) mouthpiece that Doc Tenney did for me.
    Legere reeds.

Yamaha YCL61
    Bay "Kaspar Copy" MO-M mpc
    Bonade inverted lig
    Vandoren 3.5's

Bb sopranos
    Noblet w/ Vandoren 5jb
    Buffet w/ Vandoren v13

Vito alto w/ Hite mpc (w/ cap&lig)

Leblanc bass w/ Selmer C*

Gonzales fof or Vandoren blue box reeds
    Bonade or Rovner lig's