Sax on the Web Forum banner

hey stencilman

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  roach 
#1 ·
I saw your name in the list. I wanted to see if you had any info on this horn.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2245465254&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

I know its a Conn. but its pretty fancy for a stencil. Have you seen a Hager before? Is this silver finish? with gold wash inside? I've seen the style of finish on Conn wonders but not on a stencil. the engraved area is reflective but the rest is "saten" finish. Did I get a deal?

Thanks
Kevin

#2 ·
From the looks of it, you got a deal. Back in the 1920's, the manufactuers didn't de-feature their horns that often, so many stencils are as good as the real thing. Of course, one exception is that Conn almost never made stencils that had rolled toneholes. Not having rolled toneholes is not a big deal, IMO.

The one thing I find a bit unusual about your horn is that the bell keyguards are soldered to the sides of the toneholes - not a smart design but shouldn't be a problem if you're careful.

I don't have that much experience with Conns and their stencils - just a couple of early 1920's altos.

Enjoy the horn - it's a real beauty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.