Sax on the Web Forum banner

Blessing?

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Stencilman 
#1 ·
A friend of mine recently acquired a tenor sax that says Blessing on the bell, with Elkhart, Ind. written under it. The finish is lacquer with nickel-plated keys and an engraved bell, similar to that of the SA80 IIs (the little flower). It sounds great and he loves it, I'm just curious as to any availabe info on this make. I didn't get a serial number or anything, but I saw it and it was hand scratched on. He joked that he thought it had been jacked! Thanks for all of the help.

#2 ·
Blessing started as a manufacturer of mainly brasswinds in the early 1900's. To my knowledge, the company did not manufacture woodwinds until 1970's and then only flutes and maybe clarinets. I don't believe that they ever made their own saxophones, but bought them from other manufacturers. I happen to own a wonderful mid-1930's Buescher Aristocrat that is stencilled E.K. Blessing.

I think that the current Blessing instruments are manufactured in Asia, or possibly Germany.

It would be very difficult to tell what company might have made your friend's sax without pictures. My first guess is that it is a Buescher 31A stencil. A dead give away would be "31A" stamped under the serial number. These Buescher-made horns were intended for the student market, but are fine horns. Again, pictures are necessary to really tell what it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.