Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slippery slopes

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Default Re: Slippery slopes

Quote Originally Posted by hakukani View Post
    How about having to listen to me playing a Holton C melody with not only the original mouthpiece, but with the original C melody REEDS?
    That Sounds like an equally painful alternative.

Über Geek
    Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SOTW Member

I'm not really a part of the "sacred sax" world except insofar as I think ALL kinds of music can be sacred if they're held as such by those who find them inspirational.

That said, I think the tradition of worship music brings with it some complexities that may be unique to a church/chapel/mosque/synagogue/whatever setting, and perhaps that's why this forum exists. Assuming this to be the case, I don't have a problem with it. I also don't think I've seen any discussion ABOUT religion, so much as playing the sax in religious settings.
    "Nothing is worse for a musician than getting an opportunity you aren't prepared for." - Quincy Jones

Forum Contributor 2014

“It's not vague [the “no politics no religion” rule]. You simply wish to start trouble over ideology. You know it and I know it... ”. post #20

“I also don't think I've seen any discussion ABOUT religion, so much as playing the sax in religious settings.” post #22

The standard is not merely vague, it is entirely subjective. I think that some examples of acceptable and unacceptable posts could help a lot. I got a thread bounced as political, and I was blindsided by it. I think that the statement quoted above, “You simply want to start trouble” is a projection by the poster.

I did not think that there was any “no religion” discussion rule for this forum. I am interested in comparative religion, and looked into the sacred section here. I found all kinds of religious assertions and discussions. See below. To make it clear, I have only quoted below stuff I found in here that was not edited out. Some of this sounds to me like it is a religious discussion. I am not complaining, mind you, I am just trying to point out that one person’s controversial statement could be another’s obvious truth. I am not asking that anything get locked up by the moderators.

I certainly do not want to make things harder for the moderators. I want to make things easier. I do not want to keep them jumping around, herding cats from horseback. I feel sorry for anybody riding herd on this lot, no doubt.

The “get tough” policy is OK by me, not that you need my approval. I am worried enough that I think that my post here might be controversial, even though I am only wondering what the rules are, and trying not to break them.

Again, I did not say any of this stuff, I am just repeating what I found, and it goes back to the earliest postings:

May all of you be blessed as you continue to blow for Jesus!

Hello Fellow Brothers in Christ. Please keep me in your prayers.

God has definitely been using me to glorify Him.

For lack of a better term, we would be consider fundamentalist. This label has very little to do with the type of music we use in our worship services. Instead, it is a general belief that the Christian bible is true as written and the only sacred text. And beyond that, this is the wrong forum to discuss this subject further.

I will just say that God didn't make religion, man did. God intended for us to have relationship through his son, Jesus Christ, and the purpose of the church is to have a place to bring people to learn and become disciples in Christ and to spread the gospel to others. If you put your faith in man and religion, I can almost gurantee you will be let down or dissapointed within ANY Christian denomination, Catholic or Protestant, etc. But if you go to church to further your relationship with the Lord and to bring the good news of Jesus Christ to others, then nothing can break your faith.

Music is meant to bring people's hearts closer to the word.

My music ability is a gift from GOD and I use it wherever he opens the door. It is sad to hear of stories of judgmental people. They did the same thing to Jesus. The pharisees are still around to this day. Just keep going forward and receive your blessing. You can't fly like an eagle when you have to be around turkeys. Like the parable of the sheep and the goats. Not everyone is one of his sheep. You will still find a few goats.

Amen. This is why rock, jazz, metal, rap(if that can be called music), etc. have all been called "The Devil's Music." All they are are perversions of music meant to glorify the Lord, probably been around since the before time, but malformed into something seen as evil. And being open-miinded to the reclamation of these musical forms is unbelievably important.

Jesus knows how much I do like to play in the church and I am expecting to get a golden sax in heaven

And on a spiritual level, when we raise up worthy praise to the Lord, that spirit spreads and the whole service can sometimes take on a more intense feeling and helpfully brings people closer to the Lord.

There is no "bad" music type for worship as long as it has the Christian message you want to give and it can reach the audience you are performing for.

The whole practice of forbidding instruments in the course of worship is very Un-biblical and is an example of the works approach to salvation that Jesus went to great lengths to denounce.

I believe there is a God out there who gave me skill and aesthetics, and I need to give back.

Keep up God's great work.

I am grateful for many things - my family, my church, the chance to play sax, those of you who participate on this forum, and most of all the gift of Jesus Christ.
    I second that! Well said, and Amen!!!

I love god and I try to do whatever I can do to enhance the service. … But whatever you do, do it as unto the Lord.

God gave me some talents to be used for his glory. I give my time, talents and treasures to Jesus.....its the least I can do after what he gave for me.

when it comes to a worship atmosphere and giving praise to God, it is a musicians responsibility to make sure that your music leads people to where there minds need to be. I'm not saying to play hymns at every service, but there should be a worship and praise focus. I would also say the instruments are not the most important part of the performance just an enhancer. As far as the guy who talked about the top forty during a service for the youth...."Don't let the enjoyment of the flesh interfere with God's movement amongst his people." You have a responsibility to lead into ALL truth.

Now back to me, click: are all of these statements quoted above still OK with everybody? If I posted these statements tomorrow, would I get a penalty? This looks like a hard job to me, and I am sorry if asking these questions makes things worse.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

Geeze Click, will you just let these people be? That you would spend the time and effort to do this shows that this section definitely bothers you given that you can't debate the subject with folks that use this forum section. This is not projection. It's simply a plea to move on. This has all been debated before, and you will get nowhere with it. It's not up to you to tell the site owner what he should allow here. It's obvious that certain expressions are allowed given the context of the subject matter, just as it is obvious that arguing over them here or elsewhere on the site isn't. Please focus on saxophones and the portions of the site that genuinely interest you in that regard. All of you.

It seems to me that the intention of the "no politics/no religion" directive is to prevent arguements about "the way the world is or should be" based on individual opinions. Whereas it is a fact that religions exist, regular religious gatherings exist, and the music, at least in the Western culture, is a major component of religious services. (And without Western religious music, think about how much Bach, Brahams, and Mozart we would be missing). Therefore, any logistical music topic related to chruch services may be encountered in this sub forum, which cannot avoid some religious terminology.

The real issue that here is that those who don't like religious references enter this sub forum, designed specifically to discuss sacred music, and complain that it exists, or about the terminology used.

Those folks fail to realize, as mentioned earlier, that this is a private forum, and can be organized in any way that the owner wishes. We are granted membership and participation as a priveledge, as long as we adhere to the standards of behavior as determined by the owner. We, as members, do not have rights to demand material be deleted, or to control others' comments that are within the forum's rules.

These individuals can either read, contructively participate, or stay out - however, continuous complaining or criticism is inapproprate, and should be addressed appropriately. If you want to complain about religion, there are many other places to do that.
    Intellect over emotion. Veritas Vincit. Recommended Reading: How the Irish Saved Civilization. Erin Go Bragh!

Good thing there's not 'political music'.
    64K Tenor - FocusTone Standard .105
    Results not typical

Quote Originally Posted by saxmanjack View Post
    There's not?
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Forum Contributor 2012

I thought that's what Country Music was.
    Come see me live with Platinum Express

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Enviroguy View Post
    Where exactly is the full set of forum rules? I don't seem to able to find them.
    I agree, it's not easy. When I was a moderator here I often wished for an easily findable set of comprehensive rules and guidelines. It would help in many cases I believe.

But there is, e.g. Woody Guthrie and Billy Bragg. And if enough people here played it then it would probably warrant its own forum.

Grumps is right, this has been discussed before and I think we all should be able to understand the difference between religious music as a performance style and the validity of discussing it in this forum, as opposed to the discussion of party politics and the inevitable demise of civility that tends to happen (on SOTW) when it has taken place.

BTW, this thread is not appropriate in this forum, probably should be in suggestions or somewhere else. It is not a discussion about sacred music, it's more a discussion of policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I thought that's what Country Music was.
    If anything, Country is the counterculture to the overplayed mainstream, in the context of music as a political tool.
    Intellect over emotion. Veritas Vincit. Recommended Reading: How the Irish Saved Civilization. Erin Go Bragh!

Arrow Admin Note:

The Staff and I have been pondering on this, since another member brought this up to our attention via PM not long ago - Thanks for the heads-up anyway - I will bring this thread to the Staff's attention for your insight to be considered.

Thank you.

Is this section of the forum in violation of the no politics/religion guideline? Tough question. Gospel is a genuine genre. Religion has inspired musicians throughout the ages. Is it possible to discuss the style while leaving out the reason a lot of musicians play? Kind of an administrative nightmare I would imagine.
    Kim
    SOTW Administrator

Is this section of the forum in violation of the no politics/religion guideline? Tough question. Gospel is a genuine genre. Religion has inspired musicians throughout the ages. Is it possible to discuss the style while leaving out the reason a lot of musicians play? Kind of an administrative nightmare I would imagine.
    Let's not go into hair splitting here.

Quote Originally Posted by The NO POLITICS/NO RELIGION House Rules
    It should be obvious that SOTW is devoted to the discussion of Saxophones, and we intend to keep it that way. There are plenty of sites prepared and willing to handle the topics of politics and religion for those so inclined.
    The discussion of Saxophones obviously includes music and genres played with saxophones, also sacred music.

Grumps put pretty clearly the understanding of SOTW's policy on these matters, and bari_sax_diva explained the settings for saxophone sacred music.

Quote Originally Posted by click View Post
    “It's not vague [the “no politics no religion” rule]. You simply wish to start trouble over ideology. You know it and I know it... ”. post #20

“I also don't think I've seen any discussion ABOUT religion, so much as playing the sax in religious settings.” post #22

The standard is not merely vague, it is entirely subjective. I think that some examples of acceptable and unacceptable posts could help a lot. I got a thread bounced as political, and I was blindsided by it. I think that the statement quoted above, “You simply want to start trouble” is a projection by the poster.

I did not think that there was any “no religion” discussion rule for this forum. I am interested in comparative religion, and looked into the sacred section here.
    --------------------------------
    Yes, there was the "no politics, no religion" rule here from early on, and it was recently amplified.

Because this particular sub-forum is bothering you so much, the forum administration can mask it from you, and you can pursue your interest in comparative religion studies elsewhere.

Or I can put it in layman's terms. Although there is a dial on the television set, one do not have to watch all channels broadcast (e.g. The Gospel Music channel).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12