Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Contributor 2009 saxguy007's Avatar

Default The SOUNDBACK plexiglas mic-mounted reflector shield rocks my world

Who would have thought that a $23 piece of plexiglas would make such a difference in enjoyment of stage performances?

I'm talking about the soundback reflector for sax (with the mic clip that lets you change the angle of the reflective surface relative to a downward-pointing mic.)

http://www.soundback.com/

I had a chance to use my soundback with my 11-piece horn section R&B band for the first time last nite at a bar gig. This band has very loud stage volume. Even though we usually hire a good sound man who configures a decent monitor mix, it was nothing like hearing my tone reflected back up to me un-processed! I clipped the soundback to the microphone CLIP of my Sennheiser MD 421, not to the mic itself. This is because the weird clip of that mic is actually horizontal when the mic is pointed down toward the bell of my tenor.

The soundback was really a HUGE help to make sure my intonation was locked in, and that I was getting a (smokin') tone on my tenor setup for pop/rock/R&B: (Cannonball Stone Series Ice-B tenor with JodyJazz DV 7* mouthpiece, and Lavoz medium reeds). It was really reinforcing. It also helped me work more dynamics into my solos since I could play softly and still hear what I was doing.

Usually, I start getting burned out about the third set (out of four), since I've played with this band for 8 years, and the line-up of horn section tune classics doesn't change much. Last nite, tho, the time just seemed to fly by, since I could really, REALLY hear the sound I was making.

If you're like me and no longer a frequent clip-on wanderer (or with 11 players, there's not much room for on-stage conniptions anyway), this is really something to check out, IMHO.
    Covering the bari part- because no-one else owns one...
    Cannonball "Lady Godiva" Vintage, Selmer Ref 36 and Barone MAC 8 tenors; Cannonball Stone Series and Mk VII altos; Cannonball Stone series soprano and bari

YouTube clip MySpace

SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Default Re: The SOUNDBACK plexiglas mic-mounted reflector shield rocks my world

Yeah, I picked up one of these things about 5 years ago at a time when my guitarist/vocalist didn't want anything in the monitor except his vocals. I was truly amazed at how well the soundback monitor worked. By far the best monitor you can get for the $$. I have a different guitarist/vocalist in the band now and he actually wants the sax in the monitor. I have since picked up a very nice monitor speaker (at huge expense, compared to the soundback), so I don't generally use the soundback. However, I keep it in my gig bag and will pull it out if I'm having trouble hearing myself and don't want to turn up the PA.

Forum Contributor 2013
    seeker of the knowing of the changes to everything.

These are great, and if you dont have a local distributor you can make your own:
    Jazz without the blues is like BBQ without the sauce - JL

Reference 36 Tenor, Martin Committee II Tenor, Yamaha 62 Tenor, Barone Sop.

You only go around once, and this ain't no rehearsal - Henri Selmer

Distinguished SOTW Member HonkBopSax's Avatar

I wish they made something like this that I could use with my wireless mic....

Distinguished SOTW Member stormott77's Avatar

I have seen trumpet players with these but I never thought to get one for myself. I think I will have to get one. As a gun for hire these days I don't get to picky about the monitor mix because it's never my band. This would help a ton. Thanks for the post!
    Phil Barone Classic Tenor w Phil tone equinox and isotope A Cannonball BB GS w JJ DV 8
    Thats me in round 6. http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxontheweb-blues.html www.myspace.com/stormott

I never cared if I had a monitor, in the past, because I didn't care for the additional noise. I purchased the Sound Back several yrs ago, but just started using it. Fantastic.

Jersey Shore, Pine Barrens, at Home, at work, or anyplace in between

I posted this years ago on an old geocities site, which will go away later this month as geocities is going bye bye, planned on doing an instructional, have the parts but life is what happens when you're making other plans.

total cost is about $10 IIRC

http://www.geocities.com/billmecca/reflector

filled in with a band last week, singer didn't want sax in the monitor so when I play with them next the reflector will make a come back, even with the wireless it helps, until of course you leave the stage...

Eric, Ploeger made the Sound mirror years ago that clipped on the bell. that could work for ya, though looks kinda goofy, like a clear ping pong paddle clipped to the bell

The trombone player in my band gets annoyed with me when my sound back gets bumped and ends up facing him. He says my bari is so loud that he can't hear himself so yes they do work. I have given up my in ears because I can hear so well with the sound back. Besides with 7 horns, and 6 vox, we get very little horns in the monitors.

Ive had one of these for a few years and it is the business. It simplifies things a lot, especially when the singer is moaning at the keyboard player about levels on foldback and that he cant hear himself - dont get involved

Anyone have experience using these for vocals? Besides the obvious silliness of the look of course...
    1952 The Martin Tenor Silver - RPC 110R
    1928 Buescher TT Soprano (straight) - Selmer Super Session H

The Corsicans Website
    My Solo Website

Saxguy. My experience exactly. 11 piece band, been together about 8 years, and now that I've got the plexiglass, I'm really enjoying the gigs so much more.

TK Melody Endorser/
    Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by HonkBopSax View Post
    Has anyone found where a soundback could be used with a wireless mic, and where you can purchase one?

B
    “We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.”
    ~Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by modman View Post
    Has anyone found where a soundback could be used with a wireless mic, and where you can purchase one?

B
    theres a link to the Ploeger sound mirror in post #7

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010 harmonizerNJ's Avatar

Bill Mecca, now that Geocities is gone, do you have the info that you originally posted there (see post 7) in some other place?

Distinguished SOTW Member EgilF.'s Avatar

I made on myself that I use together with an akg clip on mic.
    http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showpos...4&postcount=34
    Julius Keilwerth SX90II soprano - Runyon Custom .070 - V16 2 / Cannonball Big Bell Stones Series alto - Beechler Custom Bellite .085 - Red Java 2.5 / JK SX90R Tenor - Sugal KW II .110" - V16 3 / Taishan baritone - Vandoren V16 B9 - Vandoren ZZ 2.5

TK Melody Endorser/
    Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by EgilF. View Post
    I made on myself that I use together with an akg clip on mic.
    http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showpos...4&postcount=34
    Wonderful! Recycling at its best. B
    ~Aristotle

TK Melody Endorser/
    Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mecca View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by modman View Post

B
    theres a link to the Ploeger sound mirror in post #7
    for mic stands not for bell mounted wireless mics.

Did I miss something?

I used the link thanks. I only found one that you clip-on a conventional mic stand.

B
    ~Aristotle

Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 2007 Morry's Avatar

I have one of these that I use from time to time. It's amazing how much it can keep you from overblowing and wearing yourself out during a loud gig.
    JK SX90R Gold Lacquer over Nickel Alto
    JK SX90R Clear Lacquer Tenor

Current band:
    www.horndogsband.com
    www.facebook.com/horndogsband
    www.myspace.com/horndogsband

Take the Way-Back Machine to the 80's:
    www.myspace.com/cornerstonebandmusic

Modman,

there are two links in that post, the second one is the one you are interested int, but here it is again (without the anchor text).

Ploeger sound mirror, this is a UK site, I think jamey Aebersold used to sell them, not sure if he still does.
    http://www.johnpacker.co.uk/Catalogu...or-SATB-202924

EDIT found it, jamey still sells it
    http://aebersold.com/Merchant2/merch...Category_Code=
    $27.50

Harmonizer, I still have the pictures, need to put all the info back together, but simply put, hit Home Depot for a piece of acrylic, some L-brackets take apart a butterfly mic clip, and a drill mounted hole saw (used for putting in door knobs) pretty simple design.

We use in-ears. I use a wireless mic for my tenor, so the Soundback won't help. But I have one in my bag and it has definitely saved me on many gigs when I'm being hired for a gig and I'm unsure of the sound situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast