Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tableaux De Provence

Post answered, thanks
    The cure to procrastination is the realization that procrastination in its essense is the failure in understanding that the work you are doing is to your own benefit, not the benefit of others.

Default Re: Tableaux De Provence

No offense, but just search for it on YouTube yourself. I have searched it plenty of times and there are plenty of reordings on there.

As to why it costs so much, it is 6 mvts of music so I actually think $50 is a good price. If you need to get it since it sounds you are playing it in the near future, just get it.
    MM in Performance - Florida State University
    BM in Performance & Music Education - Northern Arizona University

I couldn't find a professional recording on youtube. I found some amatuers though.
    How many pages is it in terms of sheet music?
    The cure to procrastination is the realization that procrastination in its essense is the failure in understanding that the work you are doing is to your own benefit, not the benefit of others.

Quote Originally Posted by mpartlow View Post
    I couldn't find a professional recording on youtube. I found some amatuers though.
    How many pages is it in terms of sheet music?
    I recently just looked at a version my local music store has and if I remember correctly, it was like 2-3 pages per mvt. Maybe more on a mvt or 2.

As for recordings, I just looked again and it appears they took a few off unfortunately. Well here is one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSM_t-_u5iE

And here is a master class by Jean Marie Londeix on it. Yeah, it's in french but a guy is faintly translating it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8HSaCVmSuc

I think my favorite version is Claude Delangle, look for his album on iTunes, amazon, or whatever.

which movement is the slow sweet part that used to be part of selmer paris's background music on their site? (if you know)

I'm assuming this is for CBDA.
    I'd recommend that you order it from eble or somewhere similar, as it's great to have music in your rep.
    I bought it about 6 weeks ago, and with all 5 movements the saxophone part is 12 pages long.

Quote Originally Posted by rosski47 View Post
    I'd recommend that you order it from eble or somewhere similar, as it's great to have music in your rep.
    I bought it about 6 weeks ago, and with all 5 movements the saxophone part is 12 pages long.
    Actually no. I'm a bit over auditions. I made a state group once and didn't make Southern California which makes no sense so I figured I'd screw auditions for now. I'm a very nervous player. I couldn't play an F# major scale because I was so nervous but I felt more comfortable on the piece given and did surprisingly well above my expectations so they cut me slack in state. I felt I did great in SC too but with 80-300 saxophonists auditioning and 2 1st alto spots you can't expect them to make the perfect choice every time.

I actually just picked it up today (yesterday) at T.I.S. Music here in Bloomington, IN. It was in their discount section for $25, and in perfect condition; I couldn't pass it up!

Sorry for bragging, I couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by rosski47 View Post
    Actually no. I'm a bit over auditions. I made a state group once and didn't make Southern California which makes no sense so I figured I'd screw auditions for now. I'm a very nervous player. I couldn't play an F# major scale because I was so nervous but I felt more comfortable on the piece given and did surprisingly well above my expectations so they cut me slack in state. I felt I did great in SC too but with 80-300 saxophonists auditioning and 2 1st alto spots you can't expect them to make the perfect choice every time.
    I find that pretty arrogant. I was taught to treat every audition the same. From State to small local honor bands, you treat with the same dignity, respect, and never say "I made a state group so I don't know why they didn't pick me for this." I can understand you get nervous, but saying that? Just my 2 cents

Hey, unless you want to email me scans LD

Leduc folios are usually a bit larger paper than normal, and so are tough to scan.

Why do you think everything should be cheap/free?

It's against the law to do this. French music has always been a little more expensive than non-imports. Of course, wholesale copying just exacerbates the problem.
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Yeah I know I was joking on that part (hence the LD face XD). My parents are usually somewhat willing to get me books on music as long as it isn't that $300 song I can't remember >.>

Oh and Lovano, yeah I get what you mean but what I meant was my nervousness is what makes me not do them. I just feel that unless the judge or recorder knows your progress in music, he can't determine if you deserve it. IMHO I don't think I deserved the state group, but I think the SC one might have been possible. In fact I definately don't think I deserve the state group, personally I'm not even that into classical work 0-0 (well at least less than jazz). I just find it annoying how nervousness gets the best of people who deserve certain spots over people who lucked out like I did in State and felt good for once. There are 2 students who ring a bell in my school that match this comparison perfectly. One is a kid who practices the piece 8 hours a day, 6 months before the audition, and usually makes a spot. The other has a gift as a classical player, loves music, does his general practice and play, and is a fine musician but doesn't always get in when he has what groups are looking for.

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Yeah I know I was joking on that part (hence the LD face XD). My parents are usually somewhat willing to get me books on music as long as it isn't that $300 song I can't remember >.>

Oh and Lovano, yeah I get what you mean but what I meant was my nervousness is what makes me not do them. I just feel that unless the judge or recorder knows your progress in music, he can't determine if you deserve it. IMHO I don't think I deserved the state group, but I think the SC one might have been possible. In fact I definately don't think I deserve the state group, personally I'm not even that into classical work 0-0 (well at least less than jazz). I just find it annoying how nervousness gets the best of people who deserve certain spots over people who lucked out like I did in State and felt good for once. There are 2 students who ring a bell in my school that match this comparison perfectly. One is a kid who practices the piece 8 hours a day, 6 months before the audition, and usually makes a spot. The other has a gift as a classical player, loves music, does his general practice and play, and is a fine musician but doesn't always get in when he has what groups are looking for.

Wow. Just unbelievable. *Shakes head*
    Current setups:
    Yamaha YSS-675, Selmer Concept, Winslow Lig,Hemke 3.5
    Keilwerth Buffet Expression Alto, Selmer Concept,Winslow Lig, Hemke 3.5
    Keilwerth SX90 tenor, customized S80 C*, Winslow lig, Hemke 3.5
    Wildcard saxophone: Buffet S1 tenor

Distinguished SOTW Member jaysne's Avatar

Does anyone have this piece? Also I noticed it costs about $50, why is this? I'm needing to play this not too far away.
    It costs that much because both the composer and the publisher who makes this wonderful music available to us need to be paid for their talent and their service.

Tableaux is one of the staples of the saxophone canon. Fifty dollars is not much money to ask for a piece of music that will enrich your life forever.

Oh and Lovano, yeah I get what you mean but what I meant was my nervousness is what makes me not do them. I just feel that unless the judge or recorder knows your progress in music, he can't determine if you deserve it.
    dude, you don't deserve anything. You earn a spot or you don't.
    My junior year in high school, i wwas beat by a soph. tenor player who flat out sucked, but he got the spot. 2 weeks later I nailed the audition for area, and almost made it to state. I would of made it but I got messes over in the pre state audition by the room person. A few months earlier I made 2nd Tenor in Jazz at the area. There are no gurantees that I would of made it my senior year. You have a good preformance or you don't, you work you butt off or you don't. period.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan C. View Post
    Oh and Lovano, yeah I get what you mean but what I meant was my nervousness is what makes me not do them. I just feel that unless the judge or recorder knows your progress in music, he can't determine if you deserve it.
    dude, you don't deserve anything. You earn a spot or you don't.
    My junior year in high school, i wwas beat by a soph. tenor player who flat out sucked, but he got the spot. 2 weeks later I nailed the audition for area, and almost made it to state. I would of made it but I got messes over in the pre state audition by the room person. A few months earlier I made 2nd Tenor in Jazz at the area. There are no gurantees that I would of made it my senior year. You have a good preformance or you don't, you work you butt off or you don't. period.
    Exactly. You may believe you deserve a spot over someone and that judges are wrong when they do not select you sometimes, but it comes down to how prepared you are. Nervousness or not. And most auditons are done so the judges are non-biased (blind). They are fair and if you are too arrogant to think otherwise, then you don't deserve to get it. Simple as that

Oh no, I thought I DIDN'T deserve the state spot. The judges are VERY fair knowledgeable people, I was just saying, nervousness can kill it from being the best player in the state to not even getting considered

Distinguished SOTW Member CooolJazzz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I was just saying, nervousness can kill it from being the best player in the state to not even getting considered
    The ability to perform well under pressure and in public is far more important than the ability to do great things in a practice room but nowhere else. What counts is being able to perform well...WHEN IT COUNTS. The best players are the ones who can do that...not the ones who can only play well behind closed doors where it doesn't count for anything. The inability to conquer one's own nervousness and play well on an audition...(or any other public performance situation)...automatically disqualifies them from being considered "the best player in the state". You have to be able to perform when it counts...period.

Quote Originally Posted by coooljazzz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by michael View Post
    i was just saying, nervousness can kill it from being the best player in the state to not even getting considered
    the ability to perform well under pressure and in public is far more important than the ability to do great things in a practice room but nowhere else. What counts is being able to perform well...when it counts. The best players are the ones who can do that...not the ones who can only play well behind closed doors where it doesn't count for anything. The inability to conquer one's own nervousness and play well on an audition...(or any other public performance situation)...automatically disqualifies them from being considered "the best player in the state". You have to be able to perform when it counts...period.
    +1

Wow that was quite wise. I'd be smart to get off my *** and write that down.

Does anyone have suggestions on overcoming nervousness?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast