Sax on the Web Forum banner

Super 20 Fan Club

318K views 1K replies 236 participants last post by  Instrument Attic 
G
#1 ·
We're baa-aaaack! Super 20 players, stand up and be counted.

Super 20 tenor, 364xxx, silver neck, brass bell, no pearls on the side :(

I've had this horn since 1974 (sophomore year high school). Dad paid $75 for the horn, then another $100 for a complete overhaul/relacquer (it needed it).

Despite what you may have read, these are very flexible horns, adaptable to all musical styles. The combination of the sterling silver neck along with bore taper/neck curve/bow curve allows the Super 20 tenors to bring out the best in a variety of mouthpiece setups.

#204 ·
Just got a Tenor Super 20 SilverSonic 400XXX.
Wow! I'm impressed. I think I'll never part with it.
What a sound!!

I've always had Selmers: a Balanced Action for 5 years and a Silver SA80 for 3 years. Both are great horns, the BA had a nice tone and the SA80 is a great all around axe. I'm still keeping the SA80, but I'll have sell it.
But the greatest tone is the Super20. I like the ergonomy very well. I'm
just adapting to the low C/Eb. Don't have problems with the pinky table at all.

I'm using a Link early babbit 7* and is just perfect.
Just sharing my experience.

#205 ·
Welcome Rodrigo. I have a 400XXX Silversonic alto and love it. I'd like to have a tenor SilverSonic too. Wanna sell yours? Just kidding.

On a more serious note, pun intended, I urge you to try a Fred Lamberson mouthpiece. I have one of his 7SB pieces and I'll take it to the grave. What an absolutely outstanding piece!

#207 ·
No! The Lamberson is clear voiced, balanced. Compared to my Jody HR and my Barone HR both of which are stuffy compared to the Lamberson. And, the Lamberson reaches notes both high and low registers with more ease by far. I am retiring the Jody HR, Barone HR, and Jody DV (metal) in strong favor of the Lamberson. I suspect Lambersons will be traded someday on the internet at exhorbitant prices. Fred Lamberson is the only human being making these. Let's hope he stays around for a while.

#208 ·
i am one of the few who own a super20 bari and i can tell you it lives up to the super20 name in spades! its simply awesume. i used to over power the rest of the sax section with it eaisly and boy was it something on r&b gigs! no other bari i have played even comes close! including conns! too bad they are so rare that others cant get the experience of playing one

#210 ·
David, there is absolutely no way anybody can answer that question I believe. The silversonic could be a lemon and the '55 can play like a dream, or the other way around. The only way to find out is to try them both.

However, contradicting my own post, I think that all Super 20's coming from Cleveland basically are good horns and once properly setup, they all have that typical King-Tzsing-with-a-fat-bottom qoing on. It's all in the setup. (and the player ;) )

#211 ·
Super20Duper said:
David, there is absolutely no way anybody can answer that question I believe. The silversonic could be a lemon and the '55 can play like a dream, or the other way around. The only way to find out is to try them both.

However, contradicting my own post, I think that all Super 20's coming from Cleveland basically are good horns and once properly setup, they all have that typical King-Tzsing-with-a-fat-bottom qoing on. It's all in the setup. (and the player ;) )
I'll go for the first part of your post...there are some mediocre Cleveland horns
and some great early East Lakes...

#214 ·
catseyeweb said:
Have just bought a early '60's (397,xxx) Super 20 Tenor. It needs a few things, so it's in the shop. I need the C/Bb keyguards. Anyone know where I can get them, or what might be a good match?
Item number: 330054473333

For some reason the auction was cancelled. I'd contact the seller and see if he can help you. Be careful how you ask, though.

#216 ·
Sjax20 - I think you are aking an excellent question which is not likelly to get the attention it deserves on the last page of this thread. I encourage you to use the same posting as the beginning of a new thread specific to this issue. I will be interested to see what the experts have to say about King "Ampliphonics".

regards - saxdad

#219 ·
well i have a super 20 bari and can tell it it roars like no other bari can. just an awesume insterment for rock and roll etc. originally i bought it as a back up to my mk6 but after just one gig on it -it became my no1 as my avatar is proof

#220 ·
New Member of the King Super 20 Club

I've just purchased a King Super 20 and I'm impressed with the ease of playing it. I'm still an intermediate player and just moved up from a beginners mouthpiece to an Otto Link Metal #6. It's a small adjustment for me but the tone on the Super 20 is smooth as silk.

I'm debating whether to make this my main sax or my Cannonball.

:D

#223 ·
-88- said:
Marty's right, you don't want to be disingenuous to your home town do you?
By the way, Marty, you've turned your wife's target practice and she is aiming at you, hope that's not an omen. She's just practicing, right?
When the Avatar vs. name placement changed to its current configuration, a fellow currently banned member flipped it for me.

She's always aiming at me. I live under the gun.

She's also a Republican.

#224 ·
Recommendation: A mouthpiece with a dark sound

I currently use an Otto Super Tone Master #6 which is a bright metal mouthpiece for my Super 20. The problem is that my Super 20 is already bright and the mouthpiece gives the high register an annoying buzz. The rubber mouthpiece I use is a student #5 but is too close for me. What mouthpiece would anyone recommend that's dark sounding and open for a bright horn?

I'm trying to get the traditional jazz or bebop sound and a metal mouthpiece is not getting me there.

#225 ·
DaQuietStorm said:
I'm trying to get the traditional jazz or bebop sound and a metal mouthpiece is not getting me there.
Are you talking about a tenor or alto? In either case, the metal is not the issue. The size of the chamber, presence or lack of a baffle, and tip opening are the factors that matter, not the material. I always thought Otto Links were relatively dark mpcs. Maybe the one you have has a baffle? Do a search or look in the mouthpieces thread for something titled "dark mouthpieces." You'll find lots of recommendations.

#226 ·
Hi all !
I get it ! finally I found it.
a 354xxx Super20, silver neck, double socket. Very nice condition and with a great sound too. :p ~
Sound, ergos, cosmetic, sensations, weight !! (is light!!)... all seems very very good !
Now I am testing my mpc/reed setup. I always play with a RPC.R(105) and sometimes with RPC.B(115) and with ZZ nº3. For some reason that setup dont fit as well as in Selmers. I have a similar problem with a 269 zephyr.
The RPC are great mpc and I dont want change it. Perhaps I need to try others reeds... any suggestion? Some guys tell me that I have to try the Alexander superials. (number equivalent to ZZ.3 ???)
My fav. music style is Blues.
Other problem is the case. I have a selmer flightech and the sax dont fit on it!, any suggestion? SKB?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.