Sax on the Web Forum banner

Super 20 Fan Club

318K views 1K replies 236 participants last post by  Instrument Attic 
G
#1 ·
We're baa-aaaack! Super 20 players, stand up and be counted.

Super 20 tenor, 364xxx, silver neck, brass bell, no pearls on the side :(

I've had this horn since 1974 (sophomore year high school). Dad paid $75 for the horn, then another $100 for a complete overhaul/relacquer (it needed it).

Despite what you may have read, these are very flexible horns, adaptable to all musical styles. The combination of the sterling silver neck along with bore taper/neck curve/bow curve allows the Super 20 tenors to bring out the best in a variety of mouthpiece setups.

#129 ·
Overhaul Options

I may be getting a Super 20 alto soon that will be in need of an overhaul. Are there any special considerations for pads and resos on these beauties? If I get it, I'd like to keep it pretty versatile - wouldn't want to go wild on the resos but still want to be true to the sax.

Anybody out there specialize in King overhauls, or are they pretty standard in that regard?

#132 ·
Here's another to add to the club...I just got a 278xxx S20, with the full pearls and everything....wow. That's all that needs to be said about this horn. Wow. Now I know why there's a huge S20 fan club post...wow. That's it. It can take so much air and make it sound great...wow! Hope to play it a lot more...(In fact, I'm going to go do that right now!)

#133 ·
primetime said:
Here's another to add to the club...I just got a 278xxx S20, with the full pearls and everything....wow. That's all that needs to be said about this horn. Wow. Now I know why there's a huge S20 fan club post...wow. That's it. It can take so much air and make it sound great...wow! Hope to play it a lot more...(In fact, I'm going to go do that right now!)
Welcome to the Club. You are now officially "Prime Time". :salute: :king:

#137 ·
Another Member

Another to add to your list. I picked up my 465xxx Super 20 in '98 or '99 from a percussionist. He told me he had always wanted to learn to play sax but never had the patience or time to do it. He felt (rightly so) that this horn deserved to be played; that it was wrong for it to be set aside for so long collecting dust. So I bought it for $1000.

It was my first pro-model sax. It simply blew away my Yamaha student model sax that had served me so well for several years. I just recently had it overhauled (something it truly had needed from the start but I only had the cash for recently) and it plays and feels even better!

I have played this horn everywhere from Catholic church masses to hard-rockin' R&B gigs. I play a Bari 7* with 2-1/2 Rico Royals (or Vandorens) and can play soft and melodic to loud, brassy and screaming.

In summary, I love it and haven't found a sax yet that I would give it up for.

#139 ·
#140 ·
88, those are all highly reputable dealers and I doubt you'd go wrong with any of them. I can personally vouch for vintagesax, since I've bought a couple of great horns there. Galye is a master technician and she'll steer you right. I notice she has a nice Super 20 alto on there right now. She also has a very fair trial period. Good luck finding that elusive perfect horn!

#141 ·
Thanks JL. Appreciate it. It is interesting that the horn she is selling appears to matche the one pictured on 'saxpics.com'

My hope is to find a Cleveland, but....oh well, you already know all the 'buts'. Thanks.

#144 · (Edited)
They've got a couple of wrong pictures with the listing. One of them a Mark VI neck with what looks like a repair to some type of pickup. The other probably the serial number of the same Mark VI.

If you look at the picture with the sax on the stand you can see the silver neck with the underslung octave key.

Edit: I posted the missing Pic in the above post

#150 · (Edited)
What am I? Crazy?

I just paid an obscene amount of money for an Eastlake Silversonic (probably 1973 vintage). Buyer's remorse! (sorta, but not really). Okay...that's over the top. I don't really mean obscene, it just feels that way paying out the dollars until I have the horn in hand. It'll be two weeks before I hear it. Gad!

Well I did say 'First hand'. Have faith for me brothers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.