0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Super 20 Fan Club

Yeah!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve Goodson called me right back after I shot him an email on the subject. He said they moved a lot of parts inventory from Cleveland to Eastlake; so the early Eastlake horns are the same parts as the late Cleveland horns up until around serial number 500xxx. (Makes a lot of sense) He also said the intonation on the late Cleveland/early Eastlake is superior to much older models especially in the upper register. The second octave mechanism on the Eastlake appears to be a better design.
    Tenor '49 King S-20 10M Fan Robusto 9
    Alto '61 King S-20 Wanne Durga 8
    Soprano 1923 Martin Curvy Selmer E

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zootspiker View Post
    The second octave mechanism on the Eastlake appears to be a better design.
    Only if you keep the body octave pip and pad super clean and the mechanism well oiled. A lot of folks have problems with middle D on these horns, and that's why; a sticking body octave pad.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's true that the octave mechanism is not particularly high tech , besides another problem that I hope to have addressed soon is the fact that the underslung octave key has a spring that is a little on the weak side (and of course it is connected to the side octave key too) and needs me to bend it a bit to tense it every now and again (I did have problems in the past wit the side octave which features a sliding mechanism where a piece of flat metal with a a small hemispheric protrusion slides on a piece of cork (or if you have it changed to a modern material, perhaps teflon).
    I never had problem with the side or top octave key clogging with dirt , but I do try to brush it clean (I use one of those small dental brushes to do that). Next week my Super 20 is going to be repadded. I will ask the person who will do that to place particular attention to these factors (replacing the cork with teflon and changing the spring for a stronger one).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an older S20 as well I just had overhauled at Lee's Sax Worx (San Francisco, CA) Lee used a new synthetic cork on it and it is extremely quiet (No clunks or clatters) If you go to his site I'm sure he will be happy to provide details for you to share with your tech in the Netherlands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! I'll be on the look out for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to correct myself. I was describing the mechanism of the G# not the one of the octave (memory can be fallacious ). The mechanism which alternates side and top octave instead is rather innocent on this model (less on the older super 20 ) and even though I am convinced mine is not perfectly regulated, it works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zootspiker View Post
    I have an older S20 as well I just had overhauled at Lee's Sax Worx (San Francisco, CA) Lee used a new synthetic cork on it and it is extremely quiet (No clunks or clatters) If you go to his site I'm sure he will be happy to provide details for you to share with your tech in the Netherlands.
    thanks .......my horn will be overhauled by a friend from Austria........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is a reasonable price for a silversonic tenor,good condition NO pearls these days Aug 2011,i dont want to spend too much in this economy .
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is a bit like " how long is a piece of string? " question.

It depends. Cleveland, single socket or double, Eastlake, USA, depends where you are in the world and on how much in need of money the one that sells is..........in my part of the world you need the best part o 3500 € (not U.s. $!) for something in real good state or more for something exceptional (a silversonic with full pearl would be a lot more for example)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am in ca,usa . single neck no pearls silversonic is all i could afford probably ,no later than mid 70s preferred .i would like to pay no more than $3k but thats probably asking too much but occasionally i hear of the odd bargain that i missed even one went for $2k ,well that was on craigslist somewhere so thats an odd one. i suppose i will just have to keep looking to see what they go for and maybee get lucky.
    I think they a may be a little cheaper in the us than in Europe espessially with the exchange rates and if your buying in dollars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they are a lot cheaper in the USA although, very occasionally one can strike lucky here too for a brass Eastlake model.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't tell whether this is late Cleveland or early Eastlake but it works for me. And this is definitely Eastlake past 500K and not bad to my ears either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brasscane View Post
    And this is definitely Eastlake past 500K and not bad to my ears either.
    After taking good look at 3:01 you might come to a different conclusion...
    "There's not enough kindness in the world...".Dale Turner; "Round Midnight"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't tell whether this is late Cleveland or early Eastlake but it works for me. And this is definitely Eastlake past 500K and not bad to my ears either.
    BONK! (Insert Family Feud raspberry sound here. ) Yes, if you look harder you'll see it's an H.N. White double-socket example with a replacement neck.

And actually I'd be willing to bet it's the same exact horn in both videos, except for the necks (the earlier vid featuring the original and the later the replacement).

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And this is definitely a post from one sad bastard who thinks he knows so much about saxophones that he can take a glance at a left pinky-cluster and a non-underslung neck and draw firm conclusions without having to look at anything else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am looking for a Super 20 tenor to play on my next CD, I would like pearls and serial 305 to 345 any info send me an email. Thanks Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Distinguished SOTW Member 1saxman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't had a Super 20 in over 50 years - but it was my first tenor! Maybe you guys can help ID it's era - I don't know any part of the serial number. It had the silver neck (underslung octave and double socket) and brass bell, full pearls and engraving on the C, C#, B and Bb cups. I got it when I was 16 (1961) and it was already well-used, possibly a re-lacquer, but the engraving was clear. It was a great tenor, but I later traded it in on a new Mk VI in 1963. My mom got it at a pawn shop for $90. I imagine she would be amazed at how much it would be worth today. I still can't believe how she found that and knew it was good without knowing anything about music or saxophones. But that Super 20 launched me like a rocket. I'm guessing it was a late '40s to early '50s horn. Any others?

It must have been about the same time as this one I found on ebay, but mine sure looked a lot better than that one in 1963.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/King-Super-2...item3cbbb35d42

Forum Contributor 2014 Smokey613's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I joined our local community band last night and took the Super 20 with a Kielwerth 6* refaced to .099 HR mouthpiece. First mistake... way too much mouthpiece for the venue. There were 2 altos and 2 tenors including myself. Now here is the part that just blew my mind.... no one there, sax players or otherwise had any idea what a Super 20 Silversonic was. Now I know the S20 is not normally associated with concert band work but really? !!

From now on I am taking the Selmer SA80 Series II and S5 Personaline and Legere Signature 2.75 for this stuff.