P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Super 20 Fan Club

Default Re: Super 20 Fan Club

Hey Bobsax
    Well as you propably know Lee's not cheap (hahaha) Roos and reso's were $300; $1400 for the overhaul (Ouch$!$!$!). But when he gets done it's actually better than new and people are standing line. Yes it has the little set nuts on the rods. Definitely more resistance than my M-6 with a much more focused brighter tone regardless of set up. (I play a Ted Klum Stnd Focus Tone on the M6) He was pretty backlogged (as usual) but I got it turned around in about 6-7 weeks.

I'll be at OPL (Old Princeton Landing, Princeton Harbor, Half Moon Bay) with Michael Ahern Tuesday night. They're more "Folk Rock" so the King may be a little like bringing an uzzi to a knife fight. I'll bring her along though. It's my first outing with these guys so I have to see what matches up. If you can make it, bring your MPC along and give her a blow.Cheers!
    Tenor '49 King S-20 10M Fan Robusto 9
    Alto '61 King S-20 Wanne Durga 8
    Soprano 1923 Martin Curvy Selmer E

Quote Originally Posted by zootspiker View Post
    Definitely more resistance than my M-6
    Wow...That's different. I thought S20s (esp. earlier ones) were "always" more free blowing than Mk VIs...?!
    "There's not enough kindness in the world...".Dale Turner; "Round Midnight"

Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008 martysax's Avatar
    Boston (pronounced: Bahsten), Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by xax View Post
    Wow...That's different. I thought S20s (esp. earlier ones) were "always" more free blowing than Mk VIs...?!
    My 62 S20 and 64 M6 blow about the same, when I blow.
    Just two questions: Where's the Bar located relative to the stage, and does the band get a discount?

Songs I recorded with The Cyclones

Check out my new informative site!

That's what I had heard as well; But I tested both with exactly the same set up. May be it's just me getting used to the horn (I just picked it up Friday). Lee tested the seating while I was blowing and it's definitely not a leak issue.

I've been playing my SA80 and MVI for a long time. Every combination of horn; set up and player's a little different. I probably just need a breaking in period. With the MVI I find I can just whisper into it even at low Bb and it comes out full without any barking. (82xxx all original except for a repad a few years ago)

Tried a super 20 at Chuck Levin's in DC today, and I'm jealous of all of you. Wish I had the cash for it right now. On another note, there's a killer S20 ther for about 3000 right now pretty much gig ready.
    I don't have GAS, I have PTAS: Practice Time Acquisition Syndrome. Cures GAS.

Just picked up A SilverSonic Eastlake (4331xx). Underslung; engraved cups; Double armed C etc. Plays pretty fat even with a Guardala Super King. Any thoughts or comments on this vintage and King history/transition from Cleveland to Eastlake?
    Thanks

Forum Contributor 2014 Smokey613's Avatar

Just picked up A SilverSonic Eastlake (4331xx). Underslung; engraved cups; Double armed C etc. Plays pretty fat even with a Guardala Super King. Any thoughts or comments on this vintage and King history/transition from Cleveland to Eastlake?
    Thanks
    I only have two things to say..... congratulations and Where Are the Pictures!!!
    Super 20 Silversonic Tenor 427xxx - Purchased New 1968
    PPT Onyxite 8* with Legere Signature 2.5

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

My Eastlake 460xxx 1970 is a great horn and I have nothing to complain about. Congratulations!

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    My Eastlake 460xxx 1970 is a great horn and I have nothing to complain about. Congratulations!
    As a matter of fact, I have been thinking that we should form an Eastlake gang for the gritty guys, who are not obsessing about pearly keys, double-socket necks, gold inlays, and fancy engravings.

Yeah!

Steve Goodson called me right back after I shot him an email on the subject. He said they moved a lot of parts inventory from Cleveland to Eastlake; so the early Eastlake horns are the same parts as the late Cleveland horns up until around serial number 500xxx. (Makes a lot of sense) He also said the intonation on the late Cleveland/early Eastlake is superior to much older models especially in the upper register. The second octave mechanism on the Eastlake appears to be a better design.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

The second octave mechanism on the Eastlake appears to be a better design.
    Only if you keep the body octave pip and pad super clean and the mechanism well oiled. A lot of folks have problems with middle D on these horns, and that's why; a sticking body octave pad.

it's true that the octave mechanism is not particularly high tech , besides another problem that I hope to have addressed soon is the fact that the underslung octave key has a spring that is a little on the weak side (and of course it is connected to the side octave key too) and needs me to bend it a bit to tense it every now and again (I did have problems in the past wit the side octave which features a sliding mechanism where a piece of flat metal with a a small hemispheric protrusion slides on a piece of cork (or if you have it changed to a modern material, perhaps teflon).
    I never had problem with the side or top octave key clogging with dirt , but I do try to brush it clean (I use one of those small dental brushes to do that). Next week my Super 20 is going to be repadded. I will ask the person who will do that to place particular attention to these factors (replacing the cork with teflon and changing the spring for a stronger one).

I have an older S20 as well I just had overhauled at Lee's Sax Worx (San Francisco, CA) Lee used a new synthetic cork on it and it is extremely quiet (No clunks or clatters) If you go to his site I'm sure he will be happy to provide details for you to share with your tech in the Netherlands.

Thanks! I'll be on the look out for that.

I have to correct myself. I was describing the mechanism of the G# not the one of the octave (memory can be fallacious ). The mechanism which alternates side and top octave instead is rather innocent on this model (less on the older super 20 ) and even though I am convinced mine is not perfectly regulated, it works.

I have an older S20 as well I just had overhauled at Lee's Sax Worx (San Francisco, CA) Lee used a new synthetic cork on it and it is extremely quiet (No clunks or clatters) If you go to his site I'm sure he will be happy to provide details for you to share with your tech in the Netherlands.
    thanks .......my horn will be overhauled by a friend from Austria........

what is a reasonable price for a silversonic tenor,good condition NO pearls these days Aug 2011,i dont want to spend too much in this economy .
    Thanks

this is a bit like " how long is a piece of string? " question.

It depends. Cleveland, single socket or double, Eastlake, USA, depends where you are in the world and on how much in need of money the one that sells is..........in my part of the world you need the best part o 3500 € (not U.s. $!) for something in real good state or more for something exceptional (a silversonic with full pearl would be a lot more for example)

I am in ca,usa . single neck no pearls silversonic is all i could afford probably ,no later than mid 70s preferred .i would like to pay no more than $3k but thats probably asking too much but occasionally i hear of the odd bargain that i missed even one went for $2k ,well that was on craigslist somewhere so thats an odd one. i suppose i will just have to keep looking to see what they go for and maybee get lucky.
    I think they a may be a little cheaper in the us than in Europe espessially with the exchange rates and if your buying in dollars.

Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 LastLast