P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Super 20 Fan Club

"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member Yellowhorn's Avatar

Default Re: Super 20 Fan Club

I sold both my brass and silversonic tenors last year and have been missing that Super 20 sound ever since. Luckily, I managed to sell another horn and a few mouthpieces and just got myself a Cleveland 394XXX silversonic one with a black/grey gator-skin case. So, I am back in the club, folks.
    Tenor: Selmer Super Action 80 Serie I
    Alto: Selmer Super Action 80 Serie I
    Sop: None at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Jumasa View Post
    Here's one picture for now. (I will post more) The horn hasn't played since 30 years so it needed an overhaul. It's gonna be finish and ready to play tomorrow!! Can't wait to blow this beast!!
    With full pearls, gold bell inlays and silver bell and neck, I think you have got yourself the finest of King Super 20. If I am not mistaken, this was King's anniversary model, and there are not many of them out there. Saxman Pete and others can confirm this.

just picked up a Super 20, circa 1954. Wow, big sound and great action. Actually, it sounds almost exactly the same as my '47 Zephyr. Which is a good thing.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Here's one picture for now. (I will post more) The horn hasn't played since 30 years so it needed an overhaul. It's gonna be finish and ready to play tomorrow!! Can't wait to blow this beast!!
    Not sure what them other posters are so excited about. Looks like scrap metal to me. That said, could you PLEASE POST SOME MORE PICS?!? Preferably high resolution.

IMG_1364.jpgIMG_1360.jpgIMG_1359.jpgIMG_1356.jpg

Here is some more pictures! I used it on a gig yesterday and it's a real player horn!! My main sax is a early 60' MK VI and this silversonic has a bigger and more complex sound. This kind of sax as the character to make you play differently...

From a new king player

Never heard of anniversary model. Thanks for the info, I will make some research!

Lucky you, Jumasa! I will say it again: This is probably one of two most beautiful horns with the best keywork ever made - the other one being a Selmer SBA or Mark VI, depending on what your taste is.

Forum Contributor 2013

Here is some more pictures! I used it on a gig yesterday and it's a real player horn!! My main sax is a early 60' MK VI and this silversonic has a bigger and more complex sound. This kind of sax as the character to make you play differently...

From a new king player
    Congrats and thanks for the pictures! What a joy to behold. Healthy attitude you have got there as well. If it were mine, I would be afraid to take it anywhere.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

Here is some more pictures!
    Pretty much the holy grail right there. Enjoy!

Very nice Jumasa. Congrats on scoring that precious gem. I am curious on how these series full pearled II Kings play and feel to the later ones?
    Last edited by junior1; 04-13-2011 at 01:54 PM. Reason: mispelling of gem

I tried a series 3 silversonic couple years ago and it was a darker horn. Thing is that it was setup differently and probably leaking so it's hard to compare. In my opinion, the only way to compare these horn would be to have them setup with the same kind of pad and key opening. By the same tech too!

www.AdolpheSax-Cie.com North / South America / Canada
    www.AdolpheSax.be Intl HQ
    www.lcsax.us North / South America / Canada

Got a 55 super 20 (or around there), what's a good mouth piece for a highschool player who just spent all his saved money for a car on a sax

EDIT: I'll be a Senior soon, and Plan to major in Music if it helps

I'm a proud new member of the Super 20 club! After several years of drooling, not attractive by the way, I made a move and picked up a Cleveland SilverSonic tenor (418,9xx) and an Eastlake Super 20 tenor (439,xxx with underslung octave - I heard that's close to the switch to a 'normal' octave key). Both with no pearls. I LOVE them!!! I'm very happy with the decision. I traded my Mark VI tenor (104,xxx) for the 2 horns, and couldn't be happier. I've had the Selmer for about 15 years, and played it in school and professionally as my only horn, and it was wonderful to me and it's a monster. But the offer presented itself, I went back and forth a ton, but it gave me it's blessing and it's going to a great home, so I made the trade!

BTW, what do you guys think? Some people think I was CRAZY to trade away my VI, and some think it was fair.

Anyway, I can't wait to play these as much as I can, and am proud to be a new member of the Super 20 Fan Club!

You got guts.....and two legendary great horns for one legendary great horn.

If you're not happy, send the horns to me.........that's the best I can do.
    "If you don't shine, you are darkness" -Charles Wright

Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by steadyryan View Post
    I'm a proud new member of the Super 20 club! After several years of drooling, not attractive by the way, I made a move and picked up a Cleveland SilverSonic tenor (418,9xx) and an Eastlake Super 20 tenor (439,xxx with underslung octave - I heard that's close to the switch to a 'normal' octave key). Both with no pearls. I LOVE them!!! I'm very happy with the decision. I traded my Mark VI tenor (104,xxx) for the 2 horns, and couldn't be happier. I've had the Selmer for about 15 years, and played it in school and professionally as my only horn, and it was wonderful to me and it's a monster. But the offer presented itself, I went back and forth a ton, but it gave me it's blessing and it's going to a great home, so I made the trade!

BTW, what do you guys think? Some people think I was CRAZY to trade away my VI, and some think it was fair.

Anyway, I can't wait to play these as much as I can, and am proud to be a new member of the Super 20 Fan Club!
    The Eastlake is not that close to the transition away from underslung. I think it happened well into the 500,000. I agree with the guts part. I do not have an early MKVI, but financially the transaction you made probably doesn't add up to equal if the VI was in good shape, because Eastlakes, the early ones included, go for so little that it is criminal. Otherwise, who are we, the Super 20 crowd, to argue? I own a Cleveland (in silverplate) that is 20K earlier than yours and an Eastlake that is 20K later than yours. I am wondering if you find major differences in how they play. I love my Eastlake every bit as much as the Cleveland.

Oh...CONGRATS!

yeah, my VI had some battle scars. some solder marks on it, and probably 60% lacquer left, I'd say. I'm in touch with the guy I traded with, and once it's all put back together (it was in pieces, in the process of an overhaul, when the deal went down), I'll go over and play her. Hopfully there'll be no regrets... God, I hope not.
    Yeah, all 3 are 'players' and they look the part, and if I own 'em I want to play 'em, so I'm happy. Actually, the SilverSonic is in excellent shape; very little wear at all.

I'll tell you more about the differences the more I get to know them. Besides the obvious initial reactions between an all Lacquer (neck and bell) Super 20, and the silver neck, silver bell Super 20. But I'll let ya know!

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008 bobsax's Avatar

There's a real beauty for sale on eBay with lots of pics.http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1951-KIN...ht_8129wt_1141
    It's just like mine except I've got a silver bell and neck but this one looks in great shape and has the original case.
    Does anybody know the seller?
    . --Just say No to Marketing.
    Teaching is honest work.

Just got my Super 20 back from Lee's Sax Worx in San Francisco. The man's work is impeccable. (300xxx making it around 1948) Nickel silver rods and sterling neck have a light gold laquer which I guess they were doing back in the day. Full pearls. Original Laquer 99%. Even the original case has been well cared for.

I decided to hot rod it with White Roo's and dome nickel oversized Reso's. Now I need some time to tame the beast. I have been playing around with different set ups (for blues rock and funk fusion) and I thought I had it with a Wanne #9 Kali; but, I just dug out a Nadr Ibraham Guardala Super King and in a word: Yikes! No problem cutting through (106 on the debel meter) now back to working on tone. Looking forward to many hours of practice. Happy camper.
    Tenor '49 King S-20 10M Fan Robusto 9
    Alto '61 King S-20 Wanne Durga 8
    Soprano 1923 Martin Curvy Selmer E

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008 bobsax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zootspiker View Post
    Just got my Super 20 back from Lee's Sax Worx in San Francisco. .
    Hey Zoot
    This sounds like a sweet horn. Please let me know the next time you take it out publicly? I'd love to hear it.
    I have a very similar one but it needs a repad and I'm not convinced I'd like it any more then my M6 if I spent the dough getting it done.
    Does it have little mini nuts with the rod screws?
    I bet it set you back a few bucks How long did it take for him to finish it?
    . --Just say No to Marketing.
    Teaching is honest work.

Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 LastLast