Antigua Winds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Super 20 Fan Club

Very nice Jumasa. Congrats on scoring that precious gem. I am curious on how these series full pearled II Kings play and feel to the later ones?
    Last edited by junior1; 04-13-2011 at 01:54 PM. Reason: mispelling of gem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried a series 3 silversonic couple years ago and it was a darker horn. Thing is that it was setup differently and probably leaking so it's hard to compare. In my opinion, the only way to compare these horn would be to have them setup with the same kind of pad and key opening. By the same tech too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

www.AdolpheSax-Cie.com North / South America / Canada
    www.AdolpheSax.be Intl HQ
    www.lcsax.us North / South America / Canada

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got a 55 super 20 (or around there), what's a good mouth piece for a highschool player who just spent all his saved money for a car on a sax

EDIT: I'll be a Senior soon, and Plan to major in Music if it helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a proud new member of the Super 20 club! After several years of drooling, not attractive by the way, I made a move and picked up a Cleveland SilverSonic tenor (418,9xx) and an Eastlake Super 20 tenor (439,xxx with underslung octave - I heard that's close to the switch to a 'normal' octave key). Both with no pearls. I LOVE them!!! I'm very happy with the decision. I traded my Mark VI tenor (104,xxx) for the 2 horns, and couldn't be happier. I've had the Selmer for about 15 years, and played it in school and professionally as my only horn, and it was wonderful to me and it's a monster. But the offer presented itself, I went back and forth a ton, but it gave me it's blessing and it's going to a great home, so I made the trade!

BTW, what do you guys think? Some people think I was CRAZY to trade away my VI, and some think it was fair.

Anyway, I can't wait to play these as much as I can, and am proud to be a new member of the Super 20 Fan Club!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You got guts.....and two legendary great horns for one legendary great horn.

If you're not happy, send the horns to me.........that's the best I can do.
    "If you don't shine, you are darkness" -Charles Wright

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steadyryan View Post
    I'm a proud new member of the Super 20 club! After several years of drooling, not attractive by the way, I made a move and picked up a Cleveland SilverSonic tenor (418,9xx) and an Eastlake Super 20 tenor (439,xxx with underslung octave - I heard that's close to the switch to a 'normal' octave key). Both with no pearls. I LOVE them!!! I'm very happy with the decision. I traded my Mark VI tenor (104,xxx) for the 2 horns, and couldn't be happier. I've had the Selmer for about 15 years, and played it in school and professionally as my only horn, and it was wonderful to me and it's a monster. But the offer presented itself, I went back and forth a ton, but it gave me it's blessing and it's going to a great home, so I made the trade!

BTW, what do you guys think? Some people think I was CRAZY to trade away my VI, and some think it was fair.

Anyway, I can't wait to play these as much as I can, and am proud to be a new member of the Super 20 Fan Club!
    The Eastlake is not that close to the transition away from underslung. I think it happened well into the 500,000. I agree with the guts part. I do not have an early MKVI, but financially the transaction you made probably doesn't add up to equal if the VI was in good shape, because Eastlakes, the early ones included, go for so little that it is criminal. Otherwise, who are we, the Super 20 crowd, to argue? I own a Cleveland (in silverplate) that is 20K earlier than yours and an Eastlake that is 20K later than yours. I am wondering if you find major differences in how they play. I love my Eastlake every bit as much as the Cleveland.

Oh...CONGRATS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, my VI had some battle scars. some solder marks on it, and probably 60% lacquer left, I'd say. I'm in touch with the guy I traded with, and once it's all put back together (it was in pieces, in the process of an overhaul, when the deal went down), I'll go over and play her. Hopfully there'll be no regrets... God, I hope not.
    Yeah, all 3 are 'players' and they look the part, and if I own 'em I want to play 'em, so I'm happy. Actually, the SilverSonic is in excellent shape; very little wear at all.

I'll tell you more about the differences the more I get to know them. Besides the obvious initial reactions between an all Lacquer (neck and bell) Super 20, and the silver neck, silver bell Super 20. But I'll let ya know!

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008 bobsax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a real beauty for sale on eBay with lots of pics.http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1951-KIN...ht_8129wt_1141
    It's just like mine except I've got a silver bell and neck but this one looks in great shape and has the original case.
    Does anybody know the seller?
    . --Just say No to Marketing.
    Teaching is honest work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got my Super 20 back from Lee's Sax Worx in San Francisco. The man's work is impeccable. (300xxx making it around 1948) Nickel silver rods and sterling neck have a light gold laquer which I guess they were doing back in the day. Full pearls. Original Laquer 99%. Even the original case has been well cared for.

I decided to hot rod it with White Roo's and dome nickel oversized Reso's. Now I need some time to tame the beast. I have been playing around with different set ups (for blues rock and funk fusion) and I thought I had it with a Wanne #9 Kali; but, I just dug out a Nadr Ibraham Guardala Super King and in a word: Yikes! No problem cutting through (106 on the debel meter) now back to working on tone. Looking forward to many hours of practice. Happy camper.
    Tenor '49 King S-20 10M Fan Robusto 9
    Alto '61 King S-20 Wanne Durga 8
    Soprano 1923 Martin Curvy Selmer E

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008 bobsax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zootspiker View Post
    Just got my Super 20 back from Lee's Sax Worx in San Francisco. .
    Hey Zoot
    This sounds like a sweet horn. Please let me know the next time you take it out publicly? I'd love to hear it.
    I have a very similar one but it needs a repad and I'm not convinced I'd like it any more then my M6 if I spent the dough getting it done.
    Does it have little mini nuts with the rod screws?
    I bet it set you back a few bucks How long did it take for him to finish it?
    . --Just say No to Marketing.
    Teaching is honest work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Bobsax
    Well as you propably know Lee's not cheap (hahaha) Roos and reso's were $300; $1400 for the overhaul (Ouch$!$!$!). But when he gets done it's actually better than new and people are standing line. Yes it has the little set nuts on the rods. Definitely more resistance than my M-6 with a much more focused brighter tone regardless of set up. (I play a Ted Klum Stnd Focus Tone on the M6) He was pretty backlogged (as usual) but I got it turned around in about 6-7 weeks.

I'll be at OPL (Old Princeton Landing, Princeton Harbor, Half Moon Bay) with Michael Ahern Tuesday night. They're more "Folk Rock" so the King may be a little like bringing an uzzi to a knife fight. I'll bring her along though. It's my first outing with these guys so I have to see what matches up. If you can make it, bring your MPC along and give her a blow.Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely more resistance than my M-6
    Wow...That's different. I thought S20s (esp. earlier ones) were "always" more free blowing than Mk VIs...?!
    "There's not enough kindness in the world...".Dale Turner; "Round Midnight"

Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008 martysax's Avatar
    Boston (pronounced: Bahsten), Massachusetts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xax View Post
    Wow...That's different. I thought S20s (esp. earlier ones) were "always" more free blowing than Mk VIs...?!
    My 62 S20 and 64 M6 blow about the same, when I blow.
    Just two questions: Where's the Bar located relative to the stage, and does the band get a discount?

Songs I recorded with The Cyclones

Check out my new informative site!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what I had heard as well; But I tested both with exactly the same set up. May be it's just me getting used to the horn (I just picked it up Friday). Lee tested the seating while I was blowing and it's definitely not a leak issue.

I've been playing my SA80 and MVI for a long time. Every combination of horn; set up and player's a little different. I probably just need a breaking in period. With the MVI I find I can just whisper into it even at low Bb and it comes out full without any barking. (82xxx all original except for a repad a few years ago)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tried a super 20 at Chuck Levin's in DC today, and I'm jealous of all of you. Wish I had the cash for it right now. On another note, there's a killer S20 ther for about 3000 right now pretty much gig ready.
    I don't have GAS, I have PTAS: Practice Time Acquisition Syndrome. Cures GAS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just picked up A SilverSonic Eastlake (4331xx). Underslung; engraved cups; Double armed C etc. Plays pretty fat even with a Guardala Super King. Any thoughts or comments on this vintage and King history/transition from Cleveland to Eastlake?
    Thanks

Forum Contributor 2014 Smokey613's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just picked up A SilverSonic Eastlake (4331xx). Underslung; engraved cups; Double armed C etc. Plays pretty fat even with a Guardala Super King. Any thoughts or comments on this vintage and King history/transition from Cleveland to Eastlake?
    Thanks
    I only have two things to say..... congratulations and Where Are the Pictures!!!

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Eastlake 460xxx 1970 is a great horn and I have nothing to complain about. Congratulations!

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    My Eastlake 460xxx 1970 is a great horn and I have nothing to complain about. Congratulations!
    As a matter of fact, I have been thinking that we should form an Eastlake gang for the gritty guys, who are not obsessing about pearly keys, double-socket necks, gold inlays, and fancy engravings.