P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Super 20 Fan Club

"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member Yellowhorn's Avatar

Default Re: Super 20 Fan Club

It is good to see you back here after such a long time, Marty.
    Tenor: Selmer Super Action 80 Serie I
    Alto: Selmer Super Action 80 Serie I
    Sop: None at the moment

I'll throw my vote to the Super 20 as well. #484xxx Eastlake Super 20 that I bought brand new around 1973 or '74. I had a choice of the Super 20 at one store, a Mark VI at another store. The salesman with the Mark VI wouldn't even let me touch it or play it unless I bought it first. I ended up with the Super 20 (not silversonic). I use an older Meyer 5M that I bought in the 70's with a new Rico H ligature and Rico Royal 3's. I love the sound I get on this Super 20...as others have said, it can peel paint off the walls....but I can also get it soft as a feather. I love the versatility of the Super 20.
    Had a complete repad done on it this year and am thoroughly pleased with the work my local tech did. I know of people that travel over an hour to West Warwick, RI to have him do work on their saxes. (Shameless plug for you Dean...but you're that good.)
    I'm still experimenting on the right set up for my Buescher Bari....and just got 2 mouthpieces from Mojo Mouthpiece. Loving the Rousseau so far...but will really give it a workout Monday night.
    Soprano-Antigua Winds 580, Alto-King 660 Alto, Tenor-King Super 20, Bari-Yanagisawa B6 (Vito Stencil)
    Bb Clarinet-Patricola Cl2, H Bettoney, LaCroix Full Boehm, Bass-Leblanc 330 (Low C), Leblanc 400 (Low Eb), Orpheo Low C
    Contra Alto-Selmer/Bundy, Contrabass CL-Leblanc 340, Flute/Piccolo-Armstrong, Bassoon-Richter

Default Is this Hank on a Super 20?

I was just listening to Hank Mobley at his finest here with the "Jazz Messengers" on Nica's Dream from their 1956 release. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO-YlvZfgNw

It's about the period when he was on his Super 20.
    https://www.morrisonhotelgallery.com...tographID=1235
    "There's not enough kindness in the world...".Dale Turner; "Round Midnight"

Forum Contributor 2011 swansong's Avatar

Xax... I can't believe how nonchalantly you dropped that morrison hotel gallery link... that site is a goldmine for amazing Wolff and Leonard photos!!! You guys all gotta check it out!!! I feel so frustrated getting the RVG remasters with tiny photos obscured by text and layout. This site has pretty good size scans for wallpaper (click info- purchase print, view fullscreen), next best thing to buying his book, which I recommend anyway.

btw that CD is the first Messengers album I ever bought, that and the Shorter/Morgan/Merritt/Timmons band are absolute powerhouses...

PPS. I just got back a vintage Brilhart piece opened up to .100 by Brian Powell, really accentuates the lush sound of my King with effortless response. I can't recommend his and Erik's work highly enough!!! The rubber has a distinctly sweet rubber tire/burnt hair smell, that's the only way I can describe it... I've been using the silver FL ultimate, it was a tad bright on my other large chamber piece (.103 woodwind co NOS) but on this Brilhart it gives the perfect amount of clarity while still silky smooth in the upper range. I'm in heaven... no more GAS for me... haha

Anyone else prefer HR mouthpieces on their Super 20??
    '67 King Super 20 Tenor 427xxx ~ '38 Conn 26M VIII alto 284xxx NY neck ~ '19 Buescher C soprano
    "I am on the edge of mysteries and the veil is getting thinner and thinner." -Louis Pasteur

I am happy to join the Super 20 fan club.

I got my 1949 alto just before I went to college in 1994 for the princely sum of $1,200. When I had to break the news to my dad that I wasn't going to major in sax performance, he didn't go through the roof as I expected.

It has been a terrific horn. I would like to hear suggestions for a good mouthpiece. I use the horn mostly for concert band, classical, quartets and big band. I think my C* is a little too dark for my liking.

"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member Yellowhorn's Avatar

Is yours a silver sonic or brass one? Either way, I think you should try a Yanagisawa metal, a Selmer jazz (metal), or even a Dukoff Super Power Chamber.
    Tenor: Selmer Super Action 80 Serie I
    Alto: Selmer Super Action 80 Serie I
    Sop: None at the moment

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

Seems like deals can be head these days. This one from a quasi-dealer didn't get a bid at $2K for its prior listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260706889705

Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grumps View Post
    Seems like deals can be head these days. This one from a quasi-dealer didn't get a bid at $2K for its prior listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260706889705
    Yeah, but it's got a severe case of sax leprosy--no doubt a big reason for the price. But no dents, and as they say you don't play the shine.

But it's the economy, plain and simple. People are not making big nonessential purchases right now due to the fear that they may be joining the unemployment rolls in these Depression-like times we find ourselves in. And when you add in the fact that European buyers are largely out of the action due to the teetering of the euro, you end up with buys like this one right before X-Mas 2010.

Luckily RP and the rest of the TP gang are coming to clean house in Jan.

Quote Originally Posted by drwhippet View Post
    Yeah, but it's got a severe case of sax leprosy--no doubt a big reason for the price.
    Well you should see my Silversonic. It's much worse, but I saved a boatload on it and it's a player to boot. Some of the best horns I've ever played were also the ugliest.

Looks like someone bit on that Super 20 for $2K. Glad they did, as it was getting more difficult to convince myself that I really don't need another one...

Forum Contributor 2011

That would be me - as you know, Grumps, because of my inquiry on the communication on shipping in another thread. Well, it's on it's way! I agree, it doesn't look pretty by ordinary standards. But I happen to like the wear on a horn - my Zeph alto is exactly like that. The seller, Quinntheeskimo, had a ton of photos so there are no surprises.

This Super 20 is the result of slowly easing into King territory for me. Played a markVII for more than 20 years, then, after a 7 year break from playing, the aquisition of a 10M - which I still love, make no mistake. Got a Voll True alto, then the Zeph, and now the time has come. I'm tickled pink! I'm very curious to find out if this horn - that has all the appearances of s players horn - is indeed that: a player.

My first jazz record was from the record collection of my parents: the Johnny Griffin 6tet. I can sing every solo on that album in my sleep... And it took me quite a while to find out that the horn that Johnny was pictured with on the record sleeve was a Super 20. So, indeed, it is time!

Reine

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
    This Super 20 is the result of slowly easing into King territory for me. Played a markVII for more than 20 years, then, after a 7 year break from playing, the aquisition of a 10M - which I still love, make no mistake. Got a Voll True alto, then the Zeph, and now the time has come.
    I traveled a very similar path. Played a VII tenor for over 20 years, then got a 10M. I also have a Zephyr alto that my son used in school. When I got to try out a Zephyr tenor a few years back, I was soon on the road to replacing my VII with a back-up King. Now I've got the King and Conn tenors to choose from depending upon the gig.

Forum Contributor 2011

Hey Grumps, that is cool! It could be the different onslaughts of GAS worked out that way, or could it be a similar concept of tone? My preferences oscillate between the firm, dark brown sound of Sonny or Dexter or the more ethereal, mercurial sound of Wayne Shorter or even Warne Marsh. Does a Super 20 fit that bill? I don't know - all I know is that whenever I could try one out it seemed to shape itself to my hands and breath - and that is a feeling i'd like to perpetuate.

Reine

My preferences oscillate between the firm, dark brown sound of Sonny or Dexter or the more ethereal, mercurial sound of Wayne Shorter or even Warne Marsh. Does a Super 20 fit that bill?
    I really dig mine for playing rock and roll, but will take it on a jazz gig every now and again. My 10M is more my jazz horn though.

Hello!

Just bought a King Super 20 Alto with full pearls! Great horn! I always wanted one and now there was the possibility to get one.
    Bought it from Micheal Ward, nice guy and we had a smooth international transaction. Highly recommanded to deal with.

Christian

Forum Contributor 2011

And today it arrived! The horn with severe leprosy is in my hands, after paying a tidy sum for customs. I played it just a few minutes, and already some interesting characteristics are evident: blowing it it seemed not at all to have that fat sound that I expected - but my girl friend kept insisting it was a big sound nonetheless. She made a recording and behold! Amazing sound! It is true, being behind the horn is totally different from being in front.
    I'll really have to get used to this horn - it's a bronco and it needs breaking in. Same thing I experienced with my Zephyr alto - the sound seems to take you all over the place. Ahhh, and it is so beautiful... the dark copper colored lacker, the silver neck, the way the keys feel to my fingers. Love it.

Reine

Forum Contributor 2012

Congrats Rennie,wish I were you!

Play it in front of a mirror and tell us what you think.
    My wife, whose ears I trust, said that my sound is much fuller, richer, more powerful and resonant on this set up.
    ... but really folks... my wife said, " It sounds like a saxophone ".

I'll really have to get used to this horn - it's a bronco and it needs breaking in.
    And I'd do it with a high baffled mouthpiece.

Forum Contributor 2011

I now have spent two hours on my new horn. It has turned from a bronco into a big cadillac - its is indeed like sitting a car that is twice the one i drive usually. Man, what a possibilities! I tried out my different mouthpieces - early 80ies STM Link (with the long body) 9*, Berg & Larsen SMS 105/2, FL Sphere, and Phil-Tone Link 7*. The latter is the winner so far - gives me the flexibility and the sound that i want. It is incredible how it can turn into this raucous monster before I know it! I don't know... going through Body and Soul, starting out with a soft gentle tone, is like sitting on a Harley while waiting for the red light to turn to green - before you know it, you're off with a roar!
    Strangely enough my B&L (which would by my high baffle mp, Grumps) didn't quite do it - but it is still early days, too soon for definitive conclusions.
    The key work is fantastic. It is amazing to be able to combine this big tone with utter agility. It moves though the registers very easily too. Right now the lowes notes don't speak too easily, subtone is very hard from low d on. But that is a matter of a trip to the tech and a leak light, no doubt.

Reine

Forum Contributor 2011

And here she is in all her russet beauty...

http://db.tt/hcxgZH3

http://db.tt/x7hWa0B

Plays perfectly in tune btw. Tried it with the Berg and Larsen again - better this time. Altissimo is (no surprise) very easy this way. Judges are out till after a few sessions at jams.

Reine

Strangely enough my B&L (which would by my high baffle mp, Grumps) didn't quite do it - but it is still early days, too soon for definitive conclusions...
    Well, if you ever get a chance to try an older RPC high baffle, or a more open newer one (120+), the beast will roar.

Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 LastLast