P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Super 20 Fan Club

Default Re: Super 20 Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by wingchung89 View Post
    Sounds like a plan to me!

Beginner? You start playing on a Silversonic? You're really lucky ... unlike me. My first proper playing when i first being serious about it was a C melody! Shocking :O
    very lucky, crazy what you find at pawnshops. I also have a King Cleveland 613, I bought before finding the super20. I'm not a beginner to music, just sax, so I'm used to drilling over theory books and scales.

-88-: I've heard about this guy, but its a bit far, I was thinking of a guy name Gino mentioned on here, he's in Toronto (which is 2 hours away from me), and gets good rep. Money's tight, so it may be a few weeks away still.
    King Super 20 Silversonic alto - 443xxx

Quote Originally Posted by tedrampart View Post
    very lucky, crazy what you find at pawnshops. I also have a King Cleveland 613, I bought before finding the super20. I'm not a beginner to music, just sax, so I'm used to drilling over theory books and scales.
    Hehe, for me, i'm not a beginner to the saxophone, but to theory. Shocking ... I'm starting to hate you for being so lucky. :O +1!

"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member Yellowhorn's Avatar

tedrampart,

Yours is probably the baddest pawnshop deal ever!

Anyway, Super 20 altos are known for being mouthpiece-selective and some, not all, have intonation problems. The Link should be good, but it is hard to recommend a mouthpiece for you if we don't know what kind of music you play and what kind of sound you like on your alto. My random shot would be metal Yanagisawa.

Good luck!
    Tenor: Selmer Super Action 80 Serie I
    Alto: Selmer Super Action 80 Serie I
    Sop: None at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowhorn View Post
    tedrampart,

Yours is probably the baddest pawnshop deal ever!

Anyway, Super 20 altos are known for being mouthpiece-selective and some, not all, have intonation problems. The Link should be good, but it is hard to recommend a mouthpiece for you if we don't know what kind of music you play and what kind of sound you like on your alto. My random shot would be metal Yanagisawa.

Good luck!
    +1 to Charlie Parker!

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

I'm a new member to this club.. new to the alto club too.

I lucked out on this find at a pawn shop (posted about it in another thread). Its an early eastlake I guess, in great shape. only paid $450 for it, which is insane!!
    I hope you know that this is the most hurtful post that I (and probably several others) have read on this site. No shame. No shame at all.

Quote Originally Posted by brasscane View Post
    I hope you know that this is the most hurtful post that I (and probably several others) have read on this site. No shame. No shame at all.
    C'mon, lighten up. I'm sure your time will come ... maybe ... probably ... or never? :P

Forum Contributor 2013

C'mon, lighten up. I'm sure your time will come ... maybe ... probably ... or never? :P
    Thank you for the encouragement. Like some philosopher said in hers/his infernal wisdom: "you never know".

Thank you for the encouragement. Like some philosopher said in hers/his infernal wisdom: "you never know".
    I hate him as much as you do. So ... lol joking. And alas! That shows that WE mortals should dwell into the depths of ... pawnshops because you'll never know when your next big break is!

+1!

a good story ... back in '81 when I was buying my 1st pro-horn, I went into Wurlitzer Music in Boston and met with Hartley the woodwinds salesman. He tried to talk me into buying a used SilverSonic tenor in great condition, but I held fast to the "newer is better" philosophy and bought a new Couf Superba I tenor, partly swayed by the slick marketing brochures and the fact that Grover played one. Years later when I sold the Couf, I regretted not buying the King from Hartley. Fast forward to 2006 and through a horn repair guy in Boston I was connected to Tom Goodwin in Central Mass who had 3 SilverSonics for sale. I played all three and bought the best of the bunch. The price ... nearly 4 times more than I could have bought the SilverSonic from Hartley ! Needless to say, after 25 years I became a proud member of the Super 20 (SilverSonic) Fan Club.

Quote Originally Posted by saxboston View Post
    a good story ... back in '81 when I was buying my 1st pro-horn, I went into Wurlitzer Music in Boston and met with Hartley the woodwinds salesman. He tried to talk me into buying a used SilverSonic tenor in great condition, but I held fast to the "newer is better" philosophy and bought a new Couf Superba I tenor, partly swayed by the slick marketing brochures and the fact that Grover played one. Years later when I sold the Couf, I regretted not buying the King from Hartley. Fast forward to 2006 and through a horn repair guy in Boston I was connected to Tom Goodwin in Central Mass who had 3 SilverSonics for sale. I played all three and bought the best of the bunch. The price ... nearly 4 times more than I could have bought the SilverSonic from Hartley ! Needless to say, after 25 years I became a proud member of the Super 20 (SilverSonic) Fan Club.
    Like what they all say, when in doubt buy first, talk later.

Forum Contributor 2010 Rob Musquetier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Musquetier View Post
    Something is wrong with the Silversonic. I plays very heavely and every thing below the G' is impossible to blow consistantly. A leak or another problem needs to be resolved here but my tech couldn't find the suspected leak??? The condition of the horn is extremely nice though!!!
    Well my tech has been able to fix the problem and the horn blows now as intended. Beautifull beast!!! I'm looking forward to my praticing session later today...

(PS a bit sad I'm responding on my own mails here...)
    S: Curved Bauhaus Walstein -Jody Jazz 6 ESP - Vandoren 2,5 (2010) <- For Sale
    S: Straigh King (#929xx, 1928)
    S: Curved King (#451xx, 1922)

A: King Super 20 SilverSonic (#675xxx) - Jody Jazz 7 ESP - Francois Louis Ultimate Gold - Vandoren 2 1/2 <- For Sale
    A: King Zephyr Special (Silver!) (#2099xx, 1938)
    T: King Super 20 (#320xxx) - Jody Jazz 7 ESP - Francois Louis Ultimate Silver - Vandoren 3 (1953)
    B: King Super 20 (#411xxx) - Jody Jazz 8 ESP - Francois Louis Ultimate Brass - Vandoren 2,5 (1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Musquetier View Post
    Well my tech has been able to fix the problem and the horn blows now as intended. Beautifull beast!!! I'm looking forward to my praticing session later today...

(PS a bit sad I'm responding on my own mails here...)
    Awww! I'll reply your posts. +1!

hah I kind of like not being liked here for this, I guess it makes me feel warm inside? burning warm.. actually its getting rather hot.. please stop making voodoo dolls of me and setting them ablaze..

as for the sound, I play mostly funk, and enjoy the maceo sound, but I also listen to a lot of Parker, Desmond, Bostic, Cannonball .. I've been using my hardrubber Buffet piece mostly with a 2.5 Legere reed.. so far its been working well. the link sounds better, but my homemade lig doesn't fit the synthetic reed (gotta make a new lig I guess). I also ordered a link tone edge off someone on here, just waiting to have him send it. I thought about trying a meyer custom by phil tone. I'll look around and see if the yani is a good option. I'm getting rather tired of the buffet, its okay, but not great, sounds good in a band setting though, just not solo.

Forum Contributor 2013

Since I have never actually played a Silversonic alto, I cannot give you my unqualified opinion of what will work. However, I imagine that it would look cool (the horn, not you) with a white mouthpiece such as a Lamberson in Delrin. If you are lucky, you might get it for a steal of $430 (If you find one for $50, we do not want to know about it). Otherwise, I suggest to include Vandorens in your consideration. Inexpensive and consistently well-crafted with a wide selection of tip openings, baffles, and chambers.

Perhaps the voodoo would work better if you posted a pic of yourself, preferably an unflattering one.

Wait till you check out those sterling bell King Super 20s without the Silversonic stamps... now that will put a vendetta or a mark on your head. Or those collectors King Super 20s. How would you react if you do see that brasscane? ^^

Why go Lamberson when you should go OTTO LINK! RAWR!

Perhaps the voodoo would work better if you posted a pic of yourself, preferably an unflattering one.
    hah, I have yet to see a flattering pic of myself!

Why go Lamberson when you should go OTTO LINK! RAWR!
    I have an otto link STM, and soon to have an otto link tone edge (once it ships), which one are you referring to?

I have an otto link STM, and soon to have an otto link tone edge (once it ships), which one are you referring to?
    Usually i see people's set up is STMs. But then one loses their originality isnt it? Its really up to you, but what i'm trying to say is that King Super 20s are suppose to be LOUD, LOUD, LOUD! Until you get the neighbor to phone for the cops, you're not pushing your horn to it's fullest potential. :P

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008 bobsax's Avatar

you guys think this eBay SS neck and bell for 5K is for real?
    http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...oks-suspicious
    . --Just say No to Marketing.
    Teaching is honest work.

Forum Contributor 2013

In that case we share more than enthusiasm for Super 20s. However, I can't I share any of your talent for business. I tend to pay more for saxophones than they are worth.

"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member Yellowhorn's Avatar

Usually i see people's set up is STMs. But then one loses their originality isnt it? Its really up to you, but what i'm trying to say is that King Super 20s are suppose to be LOUD, LOUD, LOUD! Until you get the neighbor to phone for the cops, you're not pushing your horn to it's fullest potential. :P
    To be sure, S20 horns project very well, but loudness is not just a result of having an S20 horn; in other words, it is the player's airflow, mouthpiece/reed setup that also determines volume. On my silversonic tenor, I use interchangeably a Link STM and a Dukoff D7 and I can get real loud and nasty or smokey, soft, and subtonal anytime I want.
    Tenor: Selmer Super Action 80 Serie I
    Alto: Selmer Super Action 80 Serie I
    Sop: None at the moment

Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 LastLast