Antigua Winds
  1. #621

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    York, United Kingdom
    Posts
    189
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Super 20 Fan Club

    Quote Originally Posted by brasscane View Post
    Thank you for the encouragement. Like some philosopher said in hers/his infernal wisdom: "you never know".
    I hate him as much as you do. So ... lol joking. And alas! That shows that WE mortals should dwell into the depths of ... pawnshops because you'll never know when your next big break is!

    +1!

  2. #622
    saxboston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saxachusetts
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Super 20 Fan Club

    a good story ... back in '81 when I was buying my 1st pro-horn, I went into Wurlitzer Music in Boston and met with Hartley the woodwinds salesman. He tried to talk me into buying a used SilverSonic tenor in great condition, but I held fast to the "newer is better" philosophy and bought a new Couf Superba I tenor, partly swayed by the slick marketing brochures and the fact that Grover played one. Years later when I sold the Couf, I regretted not buying the King from Hartley. Fast forward to 2006 and through a horn repair guy in Boston I was connected to Tom Goodwin in Central Mass who had 3 SilverSonics for sale. I played all three and bought the best of the bunch. The price ... nearly 4 times more than I could have bought the SilverSonic from Hartley ! Needless to say, after 25 years I became a proud member of the Super 20 (SilverSonic) Fan Club.

  3. #623

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    York, United Kingdom
    Posts
    189
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Super 20 Fan Club

    Quote Originally Posted by saxboston View Post
    a good story ... back in '81 when I was buying my 1st pro-horn, I went into Wurlitzer Music in Boston and met with Hartley the woodwinds salesman. He tried to talk me into buying a used SilverSonic tenor in great condition, but I held fast to the "newer is better" philosophy and bought a new Couf Superba I tenor, partly swayed by the slick marketing brochures and the fact that Grover played one. Years later when I sold the Couf, I regretted not buying the King from Hartley. Fast forward to 2006 and through a horn repair guy in Boston I was connected to Tom Goodwin in Central Mass who had 3 SilverSonics for sale. I played all three and bought the best of the bunch. The price ... nearly 4 times more than I could have bought the SilverSonic from Hartley ! Needless to say, after 25 years I became a proud member of the Super 20 (SilverSonic) Fan Club.
    Like what they all say, when in doubt buy first, talk later.

  4. #624
    Forum Contributor 2010 Rob Musquetier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Limmen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Super 20 Fan Club

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Musquetier View Post
    Something is wrong with the Silversonic. I plays very heavely and every thing below the G' is impossible to blow consistantly. A leak or another problem needs to be resolved here but my tech couldn't find the suspected leak??? The condition of the horn is extremely nice though!!!
    Well my tech has been able to fix the problem and the horn blows now as intended. Beautifull beast!!! I'm looking forward to my praticing session later today...

    (PS a bit sad I'm responding on my own mails here...)
    S: Curved Bauhaus Walstein -Jody Jazz 6 ESP - Vandoren 2,5 (2010) <- For Sale
    S: Straigh King (#929xx, 1928)
    S: Curved King (#451xx, 1922)

    A: King Super 20 SilverSonic (#675xxx) - Jody Jazz 7 ESP - Francois Louis Ultimate Gold - Vandoren 2 1/2 <- For Sale
    A: King Zephyr Special (Silver!) (#2099xx, 1938)
    T: King Super 20 (#320xxx) - Jody Jazz 7 ESP - Francois Louis Ultimate Silver - Vandoren 3 (1953)
    B: King Super 20 (#411xxx) - Jody Jazz 8 ESP - Francois Louis Ultimate Brass - Vandoren 2,5 (1965)

  5. #625

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    York, United Kingdom
    Posts
    189
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Super 20 Fan Club

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Musquetier View Post
    Well my tech has been able to fix the problem and the horn blows now as intended. Beautifull beast!!! I'm looking forward to my praticing session later today...

    (PS a bit sad I'm responding on my own mails here...)
    Awww! I'll reply your posts. +1!

  6. #626
    Forum Contributor 2010
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    67
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Super 20 Fan Club

    hah I kind of like not being liked here for this, I guess it makes me feel warm inside? burning warm.. actually its getting rather hot.. please stop making voodoo dolls of me and setting them ablaze..

    as for the sound, I play mostly funk, and enjoy the maceo sound, but I also listen to a lot of Parker, Desmond, Bostic, Cannonball .. I've been using my hardrubber Buffet piece mostly with a 2.5 Legere reed.. so far its been working well. the link sounds better, but my homemade lig doesn't fit the synthetic reed (gotta make a new lig I guess). I also ordered a link tone edge off someone on here, just waiting to have him send it. I thought about trying a meyer custom by phil tone. I'll look around and see if the yani is a good option. I'm getting rather tired of the buffet, its okay, but not great, sounds good in a band setting though, just not solo.
    King Super 20 Silversonic alto - 443xxx

  7. #627
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    brasscane's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Super 20 Fan Club

    Since I have never actually played a Silversonic alto, I cannot give you my unqualified opinion of what will work. However, I imagine that it would look cool (the horn, not you) with a white mouthpiece such as a Lamberson in Delrin. If you are lucky, you might get it for a steal of $430 (If you find one for $50, we do not want to know about it). Otherwise, I suggest to include Vandorens in your consideration. Inexpensive and consistently well-crafted with a wide selection of tip openings, baffles, and chambers.

    Perhaps the voodoo would work better if you posted a pic of yourself, preferably an unflattering one.

  8. #628

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    York, United Kingdom
    Posts
    189
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Super 20 Fan Club

    Wait till you check out those sterling bell King Super 20s without the Silversonic stamps... now that will put a vendetta or a mark on your head. Or those collectors King Super 20s. How would you react if you do see that brasscane? ^^

    Why go Lamberson when you should go OTTO LINK! RAWR!

  9. #629
    Forum Contributor 2010
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    67
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Super 20 Fan Club

    Quote Originally Posted by brasscane View Post
    Perhaps the voodoo would work better if you posted a pic of yourself, preferably an unflattering one.
    hah, I have yet to see a flattering pic of myself!

    Quote Originally Posted by wingchung89 View Post
    Why go Lamberson when you should go OTTO LINK! RAWR!
    I have an otto link STM, and soon to have an otto link tone edge (once it ships), which one are you referring to?
    King Super 20 Silversonic alto - 443xxx

  10. #630

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    York, United Kingdom
    Posts
    189
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Super 20 Fan Club

    Quote Originally Posted by tedrampart View Post
    hah, I have yet to see a flattering pic of myself!



    I have an otto link STM, and soon to have an otto link tone edge (once it ships), which one are you referring to?
    Usually i see people's set up is STMs. But then one loses their originality isnt it? Its really up to you, but what i'm trying to say is that King Super 20s are suppose to be LOUD, LOUD, LOUD! Until you get the neighbor to phone for the cops, you're not pushing your horn to it's fullest potential. :P

  11. #631
    Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008 bobsax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Just south of San Francisco
    Posts
    1,156
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Super 20 Fan Club

    you guys think this eBay SS neck and bell for 5K is for real?
    http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...oks-suspicious
    . --Just say No to Marketing.
    Teaching is honest work.

  12. #632
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    brasscane's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Super 20 Fan Club

    Quote Originally Posted by tedrampart View Post
    hah, I have yet to see a flattering pic of myself!
    In that case we share more than enthusiasm for Super 20s. However, I can't I share any of your talent for business. I tend to pay more for saxophones than they are worth.

  13. #633
    "King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member Yellowhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,006
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Super 20 Fan Club

    Quote Originally Posted by wingchung89 View Post
    Usually i see people's set up is STMs. But then one loses their originality isnt it? Its really up to you, but what i'm trying to say is that King Super 20s are suppose to be LOUD, LOUD, LOUD! Until you get the neighbor to phone for the cops, you're not pushing your horn to it's fullest potential. :P
    To be sure, S20 horns project very well, but loudness is not just a result of having an S20 horn; in other words, it is the player's airflow, mouthpiece/reed setup that also determines volume. On my silversonic tenor, I use interchangeably a Link STM and a Dukoff D7 and I can get real loud and nasty or smokey, soft, and subtonal anytime I want.
    Tenor: King Silversonic Super 20, Grassi Prestige
    Alto: King Silversonic Super 20, Selmer Bundy Special (JK)
    Sop: Venus

  14. #634
    Distinguished SOTW Member Turnaround's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,562
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Super 20 Fan Club

    I was just cleaning my horns up and practicing today. Honestly, I've had too many horns, but these S20s just fit me perfectly. As far as I've noticed, their tones change with different mouthpiece more than any other horn I've played.

  15. #635
    Forum Contributor 2014 Smokey613's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Deep East Texas
    Posts
    1,782
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Super 20 Fan Club

    I am going to post just to renew this thread. I do have a question. What is the highest serial number so far on a Cleveland Super 20? Mine is an Eastlake 427XXX. I was trying to determine how soon after the move to Eastlake mine was made.

  16. #636
    Forum Contributor 2007 -88-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    726
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Super 20 Fan Club

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey613 View Post
    I am going to post just to renew this thread. I do have a question. What is the highest serial number so far on a Cleveland Super 20? Mine is an Eastlake 427XXX. I was trying to determine how soon after the move to Eastlake mine was made.
    Step 1) http://www.hnwhite.com/hnwhitepage%20part%20two.htm which states that the move to Eastlake was in 1964.
    Step 2) What was the serial number of the last Cleveland horn. Doubtful we'll know for sure, but a reasonable guess would be the mid-range of the 1964 production
    Step 3) Anyone *know* for sure what that is?

    Thang, you around? Can you talk to that?
    "If you don't shine, you are darkness" -Charles Wright

  17. #637
    "King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member Yellowhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,006
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Super 20 Fan Club

    Jason,

    It is nice to see you drop in here.

    As for the serial number during which King moved to Eastlake from Cleveland, Saxpics has it at around 426,000. Apparently, what this could mean is that some of the horns that some body tubes and bells were made in the Cleveland before the move were brought to and engraved Eastlake. So, it could be that some early Eastlake horns were actually made in Cleveland but stamped a serial number later than 426,XXX. Now this is just my own theory.

    Turnaround, are you around? You know more about Super 20's than anyone here, I think.
    Tenor: King Silversonic Super 20, Grassi Prestige
    Alto: King Silversonic Super 20, Selmer Bundy Special (JK)
    Sop: Venus

  18. #638
    Forum Contributor 2007 -88-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    726
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Super 20 Fan Club

    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowhorn View Post
    Jason,

    ...... what this could mean is that some of the horns that some body tubes and bells were made in the Cleveland before the move were brought to and engraved Eastlake. So, it could be that some early Eastlake horns were actually made in Cleveland but stamped a serial number later than 426,XXX. Now this is just my own theory......
    Yes, I agree...this is a real world theory.
    "If you don't shine, you are darkness" -Charles Wright

  19. #639
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    brasscane's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Super 20 Fan Club

    Several people on this site know a boatload about Super 20s. In addition to the aforementioned honorable individuals, Xax, Robert_Allen, Schmulyejosef, etc. may know when the switch took place. I cannot remember his name off the top of my head but the guy who now is behind the HN White "brand" might also know. He regularly sells Super 20s on the bay and makes cases for them.

    FWIW, I purchased a 426K Eastlake for a friend in Denmark. Played like gangbusters...almost as good as my 477K.

  20. #640
    Forum Contributor 2014 Smokey613's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Deep East Texas
    Posts
    1,782
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Super 20 Fan Club

    How does one become an "official" member of the Super 20 club?

    NM... I just discovered the JOIN link...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Site Meter VigLink badge