Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default Re: Super 20 Fan Club

I'm a new member to this club.. new to the alto club too.

I lucked out on this find at a pawn shop (posted about it in another thread). Its an early eastlake I guess, in great shape. only paid $450 for it, which is insane!!

right now I'm using an Otto Link super tone master 6* (that came with it) with a #2 selmer Roy J Maier reed (are these any good? I got a box of 25 for free). I also have an old Buffet Crampton C (hard rubber) mouth piece I might try with it.

would anyone have any recommendations on which of the two mouthpieces would be better to bring out the best sound of this horn? and maybe suggest a good reed to use for either one? Keep in mind I'm still adjusting to the alto (played tenor for awhile, but stopped playing for a year, now playing again because of this horn).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tedrampart; 06-02-2010 at 01:56 PM. Reason: more pics
    King Super 20 Silversonic alto - 443xxx

Anibody knows the year that was manufactured the first Super 20?

this page says it was 1945-1947 that it was introduced

Forum Contributor 2011 swansong's Avatar

Tenor sax section in the Santa Monica College Jazz Band... from left John Cheyne 424xxx Super20, me 427xxx Super20, Early McCalister Cannonball. Great guys. You probably can't see it but John's Super20 has the honey lacquer on the body with lighter colored lacquer on the keys, mine's a relac. Sounds so sweet, the two King cousins crooning together... He plays an STM 8 and I have a woodwind co. 7* refaced by Erik Greiffenhagen, but we still blend well surprisingly.
    '67 King Super 20 Tenor 427xxx ~ '38 Conn 26M VIII alto 284xxx NY neck ~ '19 Buescher C soprano
    "I am on the edge of mysteries and the veil is getting thinner and thinner." -Louis Pasteur

I'm a Super 20 tenor owner, 303xxx probably around 1949, silver neck brass bell, full pearls, fresh overhaul with SG black roo pad and brass resonator. I'm so proud of this horn althought it's a relacq... Unlike my 173xxx Selmer Mark VI orig lacq i put under my bed, this baby sleeps besides me with my JK SX90 soprano... ok I know I'm sick but i love my babies so much, forgive me! :P

Forum Contributor 2011 swansong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaxDog View Post
    I'm a Super 20 tenor owner, 303xxx probably around 1949, silver neck brass bell, full pearls, fresh overhaul with SG black roo pad and brass resonator. I'm so proud of this horn althought it's a relacq... Unlike my 173xxx Selmer Mark VI orig lacq i put under my bed, this baby sleeps besides me with my JK SX90 soprano... ok I know I'm sick but i love my babies so much, forgive me! :P
    welcome to the club... no sickness, just pure fondness. I'd sleep with mine too but my wife takes up 2/3 of the bed, haha.

Did you get reso-techs or other custom brass resonators? I'm really happy with my setup same as yours, 1 year in and still no sticking, except for the cork pad in the octave vent, grrr. The firm pad slap doesn't really bother me any more, though I might switch to white pads when I get another overhaul in 5 years. what mouthpiece you playing?
    '67 King Super 20 Tenor 427xxx ~ '38 Conn 26M VIII alto 284xxx NY neck ~ '19 Buescher C soprano
    "I am on the edge of mysteries and the veil is getting thinner and thinner." -Louis Pasteur

swansong, the new pads are SG with Maestro Star Airtight Solid Brass Resonator. No sticking at all and the voice become even more mellow with great resonace... the horn really vibrates under my fingers when playing. it's a such a joy playing this horn man... my bandmates commented on the deep tenor voice right after the first song i played with it (it's a ballad "You Are Too Beautiful"), while they have no idea i changed another horn, just asked me what i did to improve my voice (shxt me man it's embarassing telling them it's not me but actually the sax!).

My mpc is DG Studio. I tried with my custom Link and Meyer by the late Jon Van Wie and also vintage bronze Berg, DG studio somehow make the voice more colorful...

I'd bet the STM would be good (use one on my KS20 tenors, all three of them), obviously depending on what opening works best for you. Also try Vandoren V16 mpcs (ebonite) -I use one on my 42 King Zephyr Special and KS20 altos and it is really freeblowing and versatile, like it was made for the horn.

Distinguished SOTW Technician. Oric Muso's Avatar

I've just got a Super 20 tenor. The guy that sold it to me then tried to sell me the case and original guarantee separately. Most underhand and dubious
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Anyway, I've got a nice sax and I'm trying decide whether to try using a different mouthpiece. What pieces are yolu guys using on King tenors?

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

I have an early S20 tenor 297... and I like to use high baffled pieces on it. I've used Lamberson DD rubber and silver and Berg Stainless 1 and 0.

Distinguished SOTW Technician. Oric Muso's Avatar

A lot of people seem to use Bergs on them. I've been using my Link whihc has decent sound but I feel it maybe isn't the best suited to a Super 20.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

after playing my VI for the last 3 years I got back to play my S20 tenor yesterday. WOW !
    I realized why I fell in love with it. I might go back and play this one again exclusively....

Quote Originally Posted by Oric Muso View Post
    A lot of people seem to use Bergs on them. I've been using my Link whihc has decent sound but I feel it maybe isn't the best suited to a Super 20.
    Interesting, because I have the opposite opinion. My Link STM 8 NY is my favorite mpc on my S20, and I prefer it to some of the great high baffle pieces I've had (RPC, vintage bronze duckbill Berg 115/1 SMS).
    "Learn to parrot the legends, then find your own sound."
    Favorite sax players: Joshua Redman, Dex, Trane, Wayne, Sonny (both), Hank Mobley, Bob Malach, Michael Brecker, others

Out of curiosity, in case you guys have been following eBay for the past 2 months ... there seems to be a Chester Hazelett Silversonic sold on UK eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

How much do you guys actually reckon this will worth, realistically.

From what i can see, it is in the transitional period, with a silver bell and neck, and gold plated body!

Forum Contributor 2010 Rob Musquetier's Avatar

Well, I think it is about time I joined the club as well. I've read all 27 pages and I'm up to speed. I have 3 Super 20's (very late mint Alto SilverSonic, Tenor with silver neck and fully pearls and Bari (with original gold lacquer).

The tenor is my favorite, it plays like hell, so free blowing that it amazes me every time I play.

Something is wrong with the Silversonic. I plays very heavely and every thing below the G' is impossible to blow consistantly. A leak or another problem needs to be resolved here but my tech couldn't find the suspected leak??? The condition of the horn is extremely nice though!!!

For the Bari I need to find a decent mouthpiece. I have Selmer C* which is not suitable for the horn and I have a Meyer on loan which is a bit better but still not as good as a Jody Jazz ESP which I borrowed briefly at a sax meeting. With tat mpc the horn opened up and blowed me out of my socks!!! Strangly the horn doesn't have a site guard which a colleague Super 20 Bari in the same range did have...

regards,
    Rob
    S: Curved Bauhaus Walstein -Jody Jazz 6 ESP - Vandoren 2,5 (2010) <- For Sale
    S: Straigh King (#929xx, 1928)
    S: Curved King (#451xx, 1922)

A: King Super 20 SilverSonic (#675xxx) - Jody Jazz 7 ESP - Francois Louis Ultimate Gold - Vandoren 2 1/2 <- For Sale
    A: King Zephyr Special (Silver!) (#2099xx, 1938)
    T: King Super 20 (#320xxx) - Jody Jazz 7 ESP - Francois Louis Ultimate Silver - Vandoren 3 (1953)
    B: King Super 20 (#411xxx) - Jody Jazz 8 ESP - Francois Louis Ultimate Brass - Vandoren 2,5 (1965)

Forum Contributor 2010 Rob Musquetier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tedrampart View Post
    I'm a new member to this club.. new to the alto club too.

I lucked out on this find at a pawn shop (posted about it in another thread). Its an early eastlake I guess, in great shape. only paid $450 for it, which is insane!!
    Wow, that is true steal!!! You are a lucky man/woman!!! Since I have a similar SilverSonic I have some questions:

1) what serial range is your horn?

2) how free blowing is the horn?

As you can read in my previous mail I have some problems with my SS so your response would be appreciated...

regards,
    Rob.
    S: Curved Bauhaus Walstein -Jody Jazz 6 ESP - Vandoren 2,5 (2010) <- For Sale
    S: Straigh King (#929xx, 1928)
    S: Curved King (#451xx, 1922)

A: King Super 20 SilverSonic (#675xxx) - Jody Jazz 7 ESP - Francois Louis Ultimate Gold - Vandoren 2 1/2 <- For Sale
    A: King Zephyr Special (Silver!) (#2099xx, 1938)
    T: King Super 20 (#320xxx) - Jody Jazz 7 ESP - Francois Louis Ultimate Silver - Vandoren 3 (1953)
    B: King Super 20 (#411xxx) - Jody Jazz 8 ESP - Francois Louis Ultimate Brass - Vandoren 2,5 (1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Musquetier View Post
    Wow, that is true steal!!! You are a lucky man/woman!!! Since I have a similar SilverSonic I have some questions:

1) what serial range is your horn?

2) how free blowing is the horn?

As you can read in my previous mail I have some problems with my SS so your response would be appreciated...

regards,
    Rob.
    I have a 443xxx Silversonic, its from between 1965 and 1970.. probably from 68 or 69.. I think mine has some bell key leaks, I have no problems going to about low D (upper and lower octaves), but beyond, things get stuffy and depending on how far in the mouthpiece is on the neck when tuned, I get these vibrato sort of sounds (goes away if I pull the piece out, no matter which piece I use). If I really lower my jaw and push some heavy air through it sorts itself out and I can get below the D, so I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with embouchure still.

I'm planning on taking it to a tech soon, since it hasn't been looked over since I picked it up.

For you, I'd maybe try taking it to another tech, maybe a different set of eyes will shed some light on your problems. I'm still rather novice (well okay, I'm a beginner hehe), so unfortunately I doubt I can help you out more.. I'll try if you have anymore questions.

I have a 443xxx Silversonic, its from between 1965 and 1970.. probably from 68 or 69.. I think mine has some bell key leaks, I have no problems going to about low D (upper and lower octaves), but beyond, things get stuffy and depending on how far in the mouthpiece is on the neck when tuned, I get these vibrato sort of sounds (goes away if I pull the piece out, no matter which piece I use). If I really lower my jaw and push some heavy air through it sorts itself out and I can get below the D, so I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with embouchure still.

I'm planning on taking it to a tech soon, since it hasn't been looked over since I picked it up.

For you, I'd maybe try taking it to another tech, maybe a different set of eyes will shed some light on your problems. I'm still rather novice (well okay, I'm a beginner hehe), so unfortunately I doubt I can help you out more.. I'll try if you have anymore questions.
    Sounds like a plan to me!

Beginner? You start playing on a Silversonic? You're really lucky ... unlike me. My first proper playing when i first being serious about it was a C melody! Shocking :O

Default Re: Super 20 Fan Club - so give your S20 the spa of its life!!!

You will thank yourself when you pack up those gorgeous horns and ship them to Randy Jones at Tenor Madness. He will return them to you playing better than your most ecstatic dreams. Then you will never let anyone else touch your Super 20's. Once you've been to the master on this you will want to keep your new higher level. Okay, so you are without your horn for a week or so, take out your theory books, drill down and study concepts again for a while. When your horn comes back into your hands it will blow your mind, and you will blow. And it will be good until the end of time.
    "If you don't shine, you are darkness" -Charles Wright

Scales, scales, scales ... you will learn to hate them, but love to hate them because you love them.

Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 LastLast