P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Super 20 Fan Club

Default Re: Super 20 Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by swansong View Post
    Damn! You were serious. This is a very similar style I'm assuming...never seen one like this before. Lucky!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Drool...
    Same horn exacally, mine is a little older but in better shape. I also have the orginal cases for both my horns which are the burgandy color alligator.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

This is a at times a painful club to be a member of. The Kings of saxophone manufacture managed to exceed themselves repeatedly, so there is always someone out there with a Super 20 that is above and beyond.

Isn't that the truth!

E-mail problem

Woo hoo! Back in the Super 20 club! I told my story in another thread, but I'll just post it here anyway. So I sold my Super 20 tenor recently to get some cash to help out my sister, then stumbled across a great alto when one of my friends told me he had an alto that belonged to his mom's uncle that he was looking to sell. I wasn't even planning on buying the horn originally. I told him I still had the Conn Shooting Star alto I started out on, but I figured I'd go take a look at it to give him a price estimate. He told me he was planning on selling it for $500 and I told him I'd check it out and see if he should charge more or less. Needless to say I was pretty shocked to see an early Super 20 when he opened up the case. As soon as I blew the first few notes I could tell it was a great horn. So I told him I'd give him $2400 for the horn and bought it on the spot. Serial number is 298XXX. It's a relacquer, but I could care less. It's a killer player! Soooo happy to be back in the Super 20 club again!

Forum Contributor 2011 swansong's Avatar

I made it as 2nd tenor in the Santa Monica College big band, my first jazz gig ever! And luck would have it, the other tenor player had a 1964 dark honey Super 20 with the two-tone, lighter bell key finish. wow. First owner too. Jumped right into Night in Tunisia, my reading is spotty but I got copies to study. Yeehaw!

-swans
    '67 King Super 20 Tenor 427xxx ~ '38 Conn 26M VIII alto 284xxx NY neck ~ '19 Buescher C soprano
    "I am on the edge of mysteries and the veil is getting thinner and thinner." -Louis Pasteur

I made it as 2nd tenor in the Santa Monica College big band, my first jazz gig ever! And luck would have it, the other tenor player had a 1964 dark honey Super 20 with the two-tone, lighter bell key finish. wow. First owner too. Jumped right into Night in Tunisia, my reading is spotty but I got copies to study. Yeehaw!

-swans
    Great, good for you and if you need any of those tenor scores to practice, drop me a note, I probably have them and would e-mail you a copy. Just get a hold of me thru sotw

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Since I bought a Series 1 Super 20 alto ( mint off Ebay) I started enjoying playing alto again. Superb horn..I'd forgotten how it should be. I have a mint V1 from new 108... but there's always been something I couldn't get over,,now I'm looking to get a new neck for my V1 to try and match the S20, The ergos are late 40's but the response, vibe and sound are something else,,no wonder Bird played one.

E-mail problem

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ward View Post
    Since I bought a Series 1 Super 20 alto ( mint off Ebay) I started enjoying playing alto again. Superb horn..I'd forgotten how it should be. I have a mint V1 from new 108... but there's always been something I couldn't get over,,now I'm looking to get a new neck for my V1 to try and match the S20, The ergos are late 40's but the response, vibe and sound are something else,,no wonder Bird played one.
    There goes that myth that a mint early model horn is only mint because it's not a great horn and therefor was hardly ever played.

I also have a later model Super 20 Silversonic (525,XXX). The inside of the bell is gold plated, I think. I've played earlier horns, both Silver Sonics and brass bell/silver neck Cleveland horns and I haven't found one that I like better than mine. It has great intonation and the most consistent (and beautiful) tone of any horn I've ever played. I owned three Mk VI's before moving to the King. The early numbered MK VI had a certain something in the tone, but intonation problems that made me eventually try some higher numbered horns. One horn, around 110k, played very well, but just never excited me. A later horn, 185,XXX had the best intonation of the bunch, and a nice, responsive low end, but was thin in the upper register and I wanted a fuller sound. Perhaps I'll find that perfect MK VI that will blow me away, but every time I pick up my Silver Sonic, I remember why I like it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by tsax88 View Post
    Add another Super 20 player to the club. I have a Super 20 Silversonic (510xxx) tenor I bought new in 1973. Has the silver neck and bell. Bell is silver on the outside, brass on the inside. Are all the silver bells that way? It's been a great horn, one that will last a lifetime. I had been blowing on a Berg 120/1 for nearly 20 years and recently went to an RPC 120, and it's working very well. And being one of the unique group that we are, I use Rigotti Gold reeds. Anyone out there using them? I've been really happy with these reeds but no mention of them on the Forum. Guess I could throw it up on the Reeds thread.

Good to hear all you Super 20 players blowin' strong!

Wow! Such a great group! I lucked into my Super 20 (Silversonic) in college. I was a sophmore and I had just decided to leave my physics major and all the calculus behind for the music department. A month into my sophmore year, a clarinet major was leaving music for business and he sold me my silver coated baby for $150! I was playing it on a gig a couple weeks later and a guy offered me $500 on the spot for it - thank goodness I was smarter than that. The horn still plays great. The horn has a classic sound and I love having it in my (small but mighty!) arsenal.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's no match for me at kick-boxing

There is a really nice Silver sonic tenor on ebay, just listed, looks just like mine! Great horn.

Hi play a 318*** Super 20 Alto *THE GREATES ALTO EVER MADE* now i look for a Super20 Tenor from around 1949 --- anybody has an idea where to find one ?

Tom

Sax Quest has one in the 294xxx, side pearl keys and silver neck

http://www.saxquest.com/productDetai...94Super20Tenor

hi yes i saw that one a great Super 20 !! i just hesitate a little because i never saw a Super 20 from that time with such a bright laquer ....... but looks orginal ?

Joining the S20-club. Silversonic alto 403xxx and an older regular S20 35xxxx with silver neck. Both are awesome.

Nice to see so many S20-owners here

My Silver Sonic Tenor can be a little bright for some songs and in some ensembles. From time to time I want a warmer, sweeter, more lyrical tone. Anybody have experience with mouthpieces that will help with that?

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saxmansteve View Post
    My Silver Sonic Tenor can be a little bright for some songs and in some ensembles. From time to time I want a warmer, sweeter, more lyrical tone. Anybody have experience with mouthpieces that will help with that?
    I'm of the opinion that these horns come more alive wth high baffled mouthpieces. I don't like the pea-shooter types myself, but use a very open RPC high baffled mouthpiece with a relatively larger chamber. For me, this makes the piece most versatile.

Forum Contributor 2011 swansong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saxmansteve View Post
    what are you currently using, and what have you tried so far? lig? reeds?

I'm no pro but here's my abbreviated mpc experience. my 427 Super 20 tended to be a little harsh with metal pieces or baffles, and I have a tone edge 6* that I like the feel of but sounds a bit stuffy. black roo pads and resotech flat brass resos. To experiment I purchased a new old stock Woodwind Co. B4 (a great deal from -8, which has a large chamber w/ scooped side walls and zero baffle, though it didn't seem much that bigger than my tone edge. Same length tip to shank also. I had Erik Grieffenhagen open it up from ~.70 or so to .103 and he also modified the inside, in addition he also evened the rails on an older design hand finished Vintage by Morgan 7 piece.

Both sound spectacular- the Morgan has a large chamber with flatter sidewalls and a slight centralized baffle (parallel to the rails) and brightens up nicely when you push it, but it has a full, rich core that works great for big band and combo. The Woodwind on the other hand is super dark but responds well in all registers, I asked him to keep it vintage a la Prez and I really enjoy playing it. I use a dark rovner lig and RJS 2H with both pieces, and the Morgan still has enough cut to it without being too bright and some versatility in tone, while the Woodwind is smooth and silky. Unfiled plays nicely but filed is easier to articulate and a little louder. I haven't tried other ligs since I'm happy with the dark as of now. Why pay $500+ for an older piece when you can have an experienced craftsman customize and perfect a piece to your satisfaction?

If you want a warmer tone, see if you can find a vintage buescher or conn eagle mouthpiece, or even just a stock link and have it opened up by the mpc craftsman of your choice, though I highly recommend Erik's work, turnaround was only about a month too. Got a custom job I'm totally happy with for less than a new mass-made mouthpiece. If you explain precisely or give examples of the tone you're going for I bet they can nail it pretty closely, it's a science after all. Otherwise just go to sam ash or a local music store to play as many pieces as you can on your horn, to get an idea of what different shapes and baffles sound like. that was my first step.

-swansong

PS. the guy next to me in band who has a 423 super 20 uses a stock STM 6* and RJS 2M with stock lig, has hard red pads and novak/hollywood resos and his tone is still nice and warm with only a tiny bit of edge. go figure...
    '67 King Super 20 Tenor 427xxx ~ '38 Conn 26M VIII alto 284xxx NY neck ~ '19 Buescher C soprano
    "I am on the edge of mysteries and the veil is getting thinner and thinner." -Louis Pasteur

Thanks for your reply. I used to use VanDoren Javas, but I hate buying a box of reeds and finding two that play well out of the box, to work on four or five to get up to snuff and throw the rest out. I started playing with Fibracel reeds, and although they're a little buzzy and non-cane sounding, they make up for it in readiness and consistency. I can't play them on my metal link or the overtones drive me (and everybody else) crazy. I've got a HR Sugal that works pretty well with any reeds but, and forgive me, a student Selmer Goldentone 3 is the best I've found so far in giving the horn a more mellow, lyrical sound. But it's not a very complex sound and because of the fairly closed tip, not a very flexible one either and so I'm still looking. I'll let you know if I find anything, but I have the feeling it may only apply to me. I know what you mean about two different people, identical setups and two compleley different sounds.
    Steve

what are you currently using, and what have you tried so far? lig? reeds?

I'm no pro but here's my abbreviated mpc experience. my 427 Super 20 tended to be a little harsh with metal pieces or baffles, and I have a tone edge 6* that I like the feel of but sounds a bit stuffy. black roo pads and resotech flat brass resos. To experiment I purchased a new old stock Woodwind Co. B4 (a great deal from -8, which has a large chamber w/ scooped side walls and zero baffle, though it didn't seem much that bigger than my tone edge. Same length tip to shank also. I had Erik Grieffenhagen open it up from ~.70 or so to .103 and he also modified the inside, in addition he also evened the rails on an older design hand finished Vintage by Morgan 7 piece.

Both sound spectacular- the Morgan has a large chamber with flatter sidewalls and a slight centralized baffle (parallel to the rails) and brightens up nicely when you push it, but it has a full, rich core that works great for big band and combo. The Woodwind on the other hand is super dark but responds well in all registers, I asked him to keep it vintage a la Prez and I really enjoy playing it. I use a dark rovner lig and RJS 2H with both pieces, and the Morgan still has enough cut to it without being too bright and some versatility in tone, while the Woodwind is smooth and silky. Unfiled plays nicely but filed is easier to articulate and a little louder. I haven't tried other ligs since I'm happy with the dark as of now. Why pay $500+ for an older piece when you can have an experienced craftsman customize and perfect a piece to your satisfaction?

If you want a warmer tone, see if you can find a vintage buescher or conn eagle mouthpiece, or even just a stock link and have it opened up by the mpc craftsman of your choice, though I highly recommend Erik's work, turnaround was only about a month too. Got a custom job I'm totally happy with for less than a new mass-made mouthpiece. If you explain precisely or give examples of the tone you're going for I bet they can nail it pretty closely, it's a science after all. Otherwise just go to sam ash or a local music store to play as many pieces as you can on your horn, to get an idea of what different shapes and baffles sound like. that was my first step.

-swansong

PS. the guy next to me in band who has a 423 super 20 uses a stock STM 6* and RJS 2M with stock lig, has hard red pads and novak/hollywood resos and his tone is still nice and warm with only a tiny bit of edge. go figure...
    Tenor: Selmer Mark VI, 103,XXX; Otto Link STM 7; Backup Tenor : I don't need no stinkin' backup.
    YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Jazzizall

Default Re: Super 20. what's it worth?

Quote Originally Posted by bobsax View Post
    I have an alto sterling neck and bell serial#295195,Does anybody know its value?
    bob
    Hello, do you still have this super 20, i am interested in some informations,regards David

Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 LastLast