Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Thanks for the tip Milandro.
    What kind of sound and music genre are you going after with your T55?
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Al Ross
    Hey guys- can I edge in here?- I just committed to the Super 20 tenor that Les has on his site

http://www.saxoasis.com/kingsuper20376xx.html

I will get it in Santa's bag (Santa better not be late...)

I need some suggestions on mouthpieces. I have a NY Link 8* that I currently use with my Ref 54 tenor and also a Larsen 120/1. Would they do the job (funk and blues)?

Thanks
    Al
    The Super 20/Berg combo is considered by some to be THE setup for R&B sax. I played a Link on mine for year. You should be happy with either, and especially happy with both! Welcome aboard.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Al Ross
    Thanks for the tip Milandro.
    What kind of sound and music genre are you going after with your T55?
    Al
    they say the super 20 is the ideal R&B horn, and it probably is. They also say that the Vandoren Java t 55 is for Jazz and fusion (whatever that, both terms in this context, means.... I still rememer that someone here defined a classical mouthpiece the mouthpiece you play classical music with..... ). I try to play Blues and Jazz on it. The mouthpiece helps me with the rougher edges of the horn, at least I think so.
    Every comment that I make on anything only ever represents my personal opinion. I don’t have any universal truth to spread or convey
    Sent from my computer, at home, without advertising on its brand or the programs that it uses.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

Default Re: Super 20 Fan Club

Had a great experience over the weekend at the Sax Symposium at GMU. The vendor with the restored Zephyr that gave me that itch for a King tenor exactly a year ago was there again with the horn (it belongs to one of the store's employees). Funny, but it just didn't seem to play as well for me... but of course that could have been because I had my Silversonic right on hand to compare it with. Man, I left that show feeling great. Not only did no other tenor seriously interest me, but I now know for certain that the King tenor I picked up was way better than the horn that inspired my quest for it in the first place. Yup, left there feeling pretty good. Pretty, pretty, pretty... pretty good.

A good Super 20 will do that to you.

I must say I have the same. Last week I forgot my saxophne's neck at home and I went to play with this play-by-ear group with which I play on Thursdays ( mostly saxophones and brass, but it has happened to grown to a big band size at times). So when I got there I noticed that I had no saxophone's neck....so I wanted to go home and my teacher (and good Friend!) offered to lend me his Mark VI since he mostly plays piano during practice (our pianist does attend but not very often).
    So for the rest of the night I played this Mark VI (giving it back for the occasional solo or demonstration).

Was I impressed? Yes I was. Would I exchange it with my Super 20? No I wouldn't.

My teacher is great on his Mark VI horn, he plays in a way that I probably will never reach and has the most incredible subtones I've ever heard in a modern player....but did I like the same horn? A lot less than mine. I have some real moments of pleasure while I play my super 20. Regardless of my less than perfect (undestatement, it even worse than that...) playing .
    Every comment that I make on anything only ever represents my personal opinion. I don’t have any universal truth to spread or convey
    Sent from my computer, at home, without advertising on its brand or the programs that it uses.

This is my first time posting in the forum. I am a proud new owner of a Tenor Super 20 Silver Sonic 385xxx. Man I love how this horn plays. I just got it today at a Pawn shop for $400. When I called the Pawn shop and the guy working told me he had a Super 20 Silver bell and neck I ran straight there with cash. He told me the horn came from an estate sale. I limited my conversation with him because I was worried he might have found out the true value of this horn. He knew he made my day, year and that he was selling it for less than what it was worth. The horn came in it's orginal King, looks like Alligator skin case. The case really smells and it's really torn up, that won't stop me from not keeping it and adding to the mystique of history when it's passed down to next person.

I know I am considered a very lucky guy when it comes to finding awesome vintage horns for a good deal. My first horn back when I first started playing in 91 was a balanced action alto. I had no clue what I had I just remember my teacher telling me that Selmers were good. So I bought it for $100. I called him before my lesson and told him I found a Selmer. He automatically assumed it was a Vito. His jaw dropped when he saw it. I also found another Balanced Action alto (1947) 8 years later for around $200. I never could get myself to buy a new horn or buy any horns for what they were worth just because of how lucky I have been. I guess that is why I still have the second Balanced Action and have never parted with it. From all my searches I never could find the Mark VI bargain. That is why I am so damn happy finding this Sup 20. I will never part with these horns. Something about their history and the way they play. I'm older now and possibly could afford a brand new Selmer. I was playing around with the idea of purchasing a Ref 36 flamingo tenor. Not anymore. I am just loving my King and will play that for the rest of my life.

I haven't played Tenor in over 10 years. I almost passed out today playing. I have an old custom Guardala tenor mouthpiece. (Like this super 20 needs any more screaming) Any other mouth pieces out there that might be good fit for the super 20? I like Dexter and like Lenny Pickett screaming sound. So I am open to try a bunch out and actually purchase more than one MP.

Also does anyone know what year this horn would be 385xxx, I know it's between 1960-1965, but not sure what year?

It's great to be part of the Kind Sup20 family

SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by junior1
    I am a proud new owner of a Tenor Super 20 Silver Sonic 385xxx. Man I love how this horn plays. I just got it today at a Pawn shop for $400.

The horn came in it's orginal King, looks like Alligator skin case. The case really smells and it's really torn up, that won't stop me from not keeping it and adding to the mystique of history when it's passed down to next person.
    Welcome to SOTW!

All right, I know what everyone who reads this is thinking: Man, why can't something like this happen to me? You really scored. You might want to take the horn in to a tech and have it looked over. If the case smells that bad, probably the horn was put away damp and the pads may not be very good. If you do get the horn overhauled or re-padded, I'd suggest also getting a new case. Keep the old one if you want, but store the horn in a new case.

Enjoy that horn.

Thanks JL, I have a friend who is a tech who will be looking at the horn pretty soon. He also has a Super20 Silver Son Tenor, But he paid 2K for his. Ha Ha.

SOTW Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by junior1
    Thanks JL, I have a friend who is a tech who will be looking at the horn pretty soon. He also has a Super20 Silver Son Tenor, But he paid 2K for his. Ha Ha.
    A couple of years ago I knew a guy who wanted 3k for his silversonic tenor and it was a great horn. I still kind of wish I'd bought it, but I didn't want to pay that much (it needed work, too). Couldn't talk him down. I tried hard.

Junior1 - where do you live? I am amazed at your finds.

SOTW Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by mlscnr
    Junior1 - where do you live? I am amazed at your finds.
    Yeah, where's that pawn shop? I wouldn't blame you for not answering!

LOL. I actually got the Balanced Actions outside of Seattle. This was before the Internet and Ebay days. After that the Pawn guys got tech savvy and realized the value of these horns. I became a fanatic and looked all over. From all that time searching I could have spent my energy to just save money and buy the horns for market value. That was my down fall. I got lucky early on when I first started playing and never could buy a Mark VI for full value. That is why I probally I never got one for the last 20 years. Maybe before I die I will be so lucky to find that Mark VI in a small pawn shop in nowhereville.

I just liked the chase of finding these gems. It takes some effort but when you find one it's the biggest high.

Hopefully the pawn guys won't figure out the value of a Super 20 like they caught on with the Mark VI.

BTW I found my Super 20 outside a small town in Michigan. That's all I am giving you guys. LOL. Good luck. I might run into you. Better have cash. HA Ha

Word of advice. If you do find one get down there right away and buy it. Don't wait till the next day. I had a chance to purchase a Mark VII Tenor for about $700 in Oakland, CA. I waited the next day to buy it. Guess what? It was gone.

I just purchased 1965 King Super 20 with Sterling Silver neck, from http://www.worldwidesax.com.

now waiting for Sarge to complete his setup (he promised sometime in April).
    I hope the horn comes out right.

regards,
    Alex

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by junior1 View Post
    I have an old custom Guardala tenor mouthpiece. (Like this super 20 needs any more screaming) Any other mouth pieces out there that might be good fit for the super 20?
    You know those handmade Guardalas can go for over a grand on Ebay, don't you? Anyhow, I prefer an RPC high baffled piece for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumps View Post
    You know those handmade Guardalas can go for over a grand on Ebay, don't you? Anyhow, I prefer an RPC high baffled piece for mine.
    When I started playing Tenor years ago my teacher had it hand made from Dave Guardala, I can't remember what he called it? I think he mentioned something like it was a Brecker model. He sold it to me back than for about $200. I read Phil Barones post on Tones and Otto links. I have a !0* STM that I never really got use to. But after reading Phil's tone exercises I'm starting to like the Otto link. I went back to the Guardala just to see what it felt like again. It started chirping like crazy. Definitely can get the high altisimo on the Guardala. The Otto Link definitely mellowed out the Super 20 and it really felt like a Jazz horn instead of Rock and Roll and R&B.

I saw the prices for these hand made Guardala's. That is absolutely crazy! Knowing how an actual hand made Guardala sounds on my tenor I am more apt to try an AMMA or a Barone MP.

. . .

I saw the prices for these hand made Guardala's. That is absolutely crazy! Knowing how an actual hand made Guardala sounds on my tenor I am more apt to try an AMMA or a Barone MP.
    I have been trying out an Amma 6*. There's good and bad, mostly good. The Amma plays with an easy fluidness that is disarming. The low end of the horn just walks around the room like an easy old dog. Zero effort, quick speaking right up through the central register of the horn. Compared with my Otto Links the Amma is an astonishing accomplishment, really.

It's the altissimo end of the horn that, for me at least, is where the bad news is, and has taken an odyssey adventure through reeds, embouchure adjustments, and attempted communication with Theo. The adventure continues, but the Amma is a most interesting piece.
    "If you don't shine, you are darkness" -Charles Wright

Quote Originally Posted by -88- View Post
    I have been trying out an Amma 6*. There's good and bad, mostly good. The Amma plays with an easy fluidness that is disarming. The low end of the horn just walks around the room like an easy old dog. Zero effort, quick speaking right up through the central register of the horn. Compared with my Otto Links the Amma is an astonishing accomplishment, really.

It's the altissimo end of the horn that, for me at least, is where the bad news is, and has taken an odyssey adventure through reeds, embouchure adjustments, and attempted communication with Theo. The adventure continues, but the Amma is a most interesting piece.
    Thanks for the feedback! What type of Sup 20 do you have? I am trying out my STM 10*. It takes some air and effort but I really like my sound with the Silver Sonic. I played around with the altissimo and I can't make it happen at this point. the mid and low ends sound great. I was hoping the Amma would make it easier on altissimo but it sounds like it's not happening.

Hey, do you think Theo would trade me with one of his Amma's for a custom Guardala? He would be profiting. $2,500 (DG) - $650 (Amma) = $1,850 profit. LOL.

Thanks for the feedback! What type of Sup 20 do you have? I am trying out my STM 10*. It takes some air and effort but I really like my sound with the Silver Sonic. I played around with the altissimo and I can't make it happen at this point. the mid and low ends sound great. I was hoping the Amma would make it easier on altissimo but it sounds like it's not happening.

Hey, do you think Theo would trade me with one of his Amma's for a custom Guardala? He would be profiting. $2,500 (DG) - $650 (Amma) = $1,850 profit. LOL.
    Jr: The King Super 20 Silversonic I have is an alto. Regarding the Amma, I am playing it on an SBA tenor. I am now getting altissimo with it, I needed to change by embouchure for this piece. Also the high E has a narrow window, meaning, correct embouchure=great sound, slightly off embouchure=flubbed splat. The odd thing is that of all my pieces, this is the only one that is ultra sensative with the high E. My Morgans, my RPC's, my Link's and many others are no problem. I suspect that narrow rails may have something to do with the hyper-sensitivity on that note. F above it, and F#, and G above that are all fine. Wierd. The rest of the horn plays out sooooo nice. Maybe my piece just has an imperfection, but I haven't been successful in getting clarity on it yet. Don't know what that means.

If you are considering an Amma, I'd recommend a talk with Theo first. Tell him what you want: altissimo, but without giving up the rest of the horn. Theo said he's coming out with a new model this spring, so maybe he is addressing that issue. They seem awfully busy and are very slow on email, but give it a try.

Having said all that, out of 20 pieces, most of them high end including a beautiful vintage Dukoff Hollywood 7*, my favorite pieces remain:

- Morgan Jazz 9L
    - RPC 115 B-chamber
    - Amma 6*

and not necessarily in that order, but the Morgan Jazz 9L is some bit of heaven -- that's for sure. Great bottom end, very consistent mid-range, and sparkling altissimo, and it delivers all of that with great power or sub-tone as called on. These pieces are available from junkdude.com for a ''mere'' $255.
    "If you don't shine, you are darkness" -Charles Wright

if anybody out there is looking for a neck for your neckless Tenor Super 20 here there is one
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/King-Super-20-Ten...QQcmdZViewItem

It has a varitone but it is better than nothing if you need one. I am not endorsing it, just reporting!

Page 19 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast