P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Super 20 Fan Club

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008 bobsax's Avatar

never mind
    Last edited by bobsax; 06-20-2007 at 06:56 AM.
    . --Just say No to Marketing.
    Teaching is honest work.

(self edited to protect another player). Sorry.
    "If you don't shine, you are darkness" -Charles Wright

"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member Yellowhorn's Avatar

Well, folks, after three frustrating months of waiting, anger, and even despair, my all-brass Easlake Super 20 has come.

It looks, plays, and feels great. Even though it does not have the silver neck and bell, its volume is there. More importantly, that unmistakable King sound is there.

I am a happy man.
    Tenor: Selmer Super Action 80 Serie I
    Alto: Selmer Super Action 80 Serie I
    Sop: None at the moment

I should thank Trevor for being a good seller (a man of his words). Also, I want to thank those who have read and given me help, Saxland in particular, with the shipping of this horn.

Last but not least, I want to thank Jason Schwager (handle: 88) for being there for me during these trying months. Through this forum, not only have I got to sell you a horn, but also got a great friend in you!

Thanks. I didn't get an Eastlake Super-20, but I did get your great Black Pearl custom from the factory with silver keywork. Thang, after the modifications I did to make it my horn for my hands, it's playing with a startling response, and ergonomically, is very close to my Selmer SBA -- but they coulda moved that G# key over a bit . . .

Now I am going to have to sell my SML King Marigaux and my Conn 10M, I know, I know, I haven't taken the photo's yet. But I will never sell my King Silversonic alto. I would, however, trade it for a King Silversonic tenor.
    "If you don't shine, you are darkness" -Charles Wright

Greetings, fellow Super20 players. I haven't checked in here on this board for quite a while, but I am glad to see the interest continues, particularly in the bari area, one of my favorite horns.

I continue to get great satisfaction out of showing up on gigs and blowing folks away with the power of that horn. Even the drummer smiles, it's just about the only thing he can hear over the drums!

The only thing I regret is that there was never a Super 20 soprano, or I would own one to complete my set of two altos (one Cleveland silver neck and my first Eastlake, bought new in 1972), a tenor and the bari. I remember the old King ads from Downbeat magazine in the 1960s, when Cannonball Adderley was a major endorser - they often touted the King Marigaux (SML stencil) as his choice for soprano, but alas, no Super 20 sop! I play an early 80s "Martin" curved soprano that was made by Yanigasawa; it is the closest match soundwise for my Super 20 altos of any soprano I've played. Well, I've rambled long enough...

Sure is great to see players from all over the world on this board. If everyone would just play music with each other, a lot of the pain in the world would go away...

"If everyone would just play music with each other, a lot of the pain in the world would go away..."

Well said! The great cellist Pablo Casals had the same thought in mind when he said that in the end, "perhaps it is music that will save the world."

On your question why King never made an S20 sop, I'd think that it would be too powerful a soprano. Having said that, my RC R1 curvy is very powerful (it sounds like an alto and tenor at time).

Forum Administrator and Contributor 2009 drakesaxprof's Avatar

Thumbs up

Breaking news-320K-1952-full pearls-couldn't be happier!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I lean and loafe at my ease, observing a spear of summer grass. - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
    jimromainmusic.com
    oasisquartet.com

I am a Conn-Selmer and Rico artist, and Membership Director for the North American Saxophone Alliance.

Whew! That looks almighty and damn minty for its age! Is that silver neck original - ie, it came with the horn from the factory?

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowhornblower
    Whew! That looks almighty and damn minty for its age! Is that silver neck original - ie, it came with the horn from the factory?
    Yes, original neck with matching serial number. It appears that a previous owner cleaned the gold lacquer off, so it looks oddly clean. Blows incredibly well, with a remarkably in-tune scale. In-tune middle to high C# octave!
    I can only imagine how well it's going to play after I get around to having Randy at Tenor Madness overhaul it.
    I lean and loafe at my ease, observing a spear of summer grass. - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
    jimromainmusic.com
    oasisquartet.com

I am a Conn-Selmer and Rico artist, and Membership Director for the North American Saxophone Alliance.

So, are you saying that the neck is not silver, but gold-lacquered just like the body?

So, are you saying that the neck is not silver, but gold-lacquered just like the body?
    No, the neck is sterling. King originally put the gold lacquer everywhere, at least on the earlier horns, including on the sterling neck and pearl key touches. Most of the lacquer has naturally worn of the pearls, though you can see it on the bis key in the above photo. However, on the neck, which often winds up looking pretty ragged with patchy worn gold lacquer exposing part of the silver, some previous owner decided to "clean up" the neck and take off the gold lacquer completely, thereby having an even appearance. Seems to have been done chemically, as I see no buffing wear, and doesn't seem to have detracted any from the sound. Here's an example of a S20 sterling neck with the original gold lacquer for comparison. Later examples that I've seen, from some time in the 1960's forward, don't show the gold lacquer on the neck at all, indicating that the practice was discontinued.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    jimromainmusic.com
    oasisquartet.com

It seems that the neck of your horn resembles those early, Cleveland-made S20s (SN 305XXX or thereabout) whose plating has at least two layers (gold outside, sterling inside or vice-versa). This is also referred to as inlays?

I know what an all-brass (gold-lacquered) s20 neck looks like. Mine is one (neck, body, and bell).

It seems that the neck of your horn resembles those early, Cleveland-made S20s (SN 305XXX or thereabout) whose plating has at least two layers (gold outside, sterling inside or vice-versa). This is also referred to as inlays?

I know what an all-brass (gold-lacquered) s20 neck looks like. Mine is one (neck, body, and bell).
    I've seen gold-leaf inlay patterns on the silver bell of Silversonics, but never on the neck. I imagine that on full gold-plated versions, the gold leaf or very thin plating may well be over the sterling neck, though I've never seen one. I've seen many examples of the gold lacquer over sterling neck, including this last picture, which is courtesy of pmwoodwind.com
    jimromainmusic.com
    oasisquartet.com

Hi guys ,,well i am a super 20 fan..i have a silversonic tenor nr 450531 which belonged to a famous dutch player called Harry Verbeke and use it in funk groups big band and jazz combo....its so versatile....its a very ""acousticsensitive"" sax ...i have used it with a hr link(big beautiful sound ) with guardala mb11 ..link stm 7 and berg larssen s115/2...still looking for the perfect combination ..i think the sterling neck works better with a hr mpc but i am still not sure about that...has anyone found a really good set up?

Welcome to the club, mate!

With your question, I think this thread is going to get longer, but let me start with mine:

Runyon Spoiler (metal) with a smooth bore mpc and Rico 1.5

A friend of mine uses a Dukoff D-chamber # 7 on his silversonic tenor, and it is more powerful (edgy sounding) than my set-up.

SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by marcusb
    ..i think the sterling neck works better with a hr mpc but i am still not sure about that...has anyone found a really good set up?
    Hey marcusb, if you want a HR mpc that will blow the roof off with that tenor, yet also play well at all volumes, get an RPC with the baffle. I don't own a Super20, but have played a couple. I use the RPC (.120B) on my VI and on a Buescher. It kills on those horns, and no doubt would really do the Super20 justice.

Thanks guys,,about the rpc ..i heard only good things about this piece,,,i like my hr link but it feels a bit to big in my mouth...,,i like the shape of a meyer mpc ,,,are the dimensions of the rpc more like a meyer?..
    still test playing my mb11 ..its so powerfull its scary !! especially on the super 20,,, has anyone tried a mb11 on a silversonic?

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

I am very happy to apply for membership.

Since a few weeks I am the happy owner of a 460XXX 1970 Eastlake, all Brass, Super 20 (does anyone have a spare silver neck you want to sell to a fellow Super 20 new aficionado ? ) my horn had, originally,as many horns in the 70's did, a pick up built in the neck but is has been nicely patched up. If I won'ìt be able to find an original silver neck I just might be tempted to buy a Gloger (he does also make one with the underslug octave...for a price!)

It has taken the place of a Selmer Mark VII 1979 (for sale now....) and I believe that it is a great deal easier to play. Great voice and Volume.

I use it with a Vandoren Blue Java T75 and a Vandoren Optimum ligature and Alexander D.C. reeds, which, as a set, somehow tames the higher frequencies of the sound giving it a mellow tone, when required, but still retaining some power and high singing voice. I will be probably experiment to see how it works with a STM Link (any ideas?).
    Every comment that I make on anything only ever represents my personal opinion. I don’t have any universal truth to spread or convey
    Sent from my computer, at home, without advertising on its brand or the programs that it uses.

Quote Originally Posted by milandro
    I am very happy to apply for membership.

Since a few weeks I am the happy owner of a 460XXX 1970 Eastlake, all Brass, Super 20 (does anyone have a spare silver neck you want to sell to a fellow Super 20 new aficionado ? ) my horn had, originally,as many horns in the 70's did, a pick up built in the neck but is has been nicely patched up.
    Congratulations, Milandro! Welcome to the club! Is it a tenor?
    I have a similar horn (477XXX, tenor), which also had that pick up in the neck, and I had it patched up as well (it was leaking, and I didn't use it anyway). I bought this horn a year ago and sold my Yanagisawa. That was a good decision, I like the Super 20 very much.
    The modern metal Otto Link that I used on my Yanagisawa didn't match the Super 20 very well, I think. I tried serveral mouthpieces, and I stuck to a Britone for while. Now I'm using a HR Berg Larsen (115/1/SMS), and I'm rather satisfied with it. Nice tone at all volumes. Intonation is a bit tricky with this mpc, because both the S20 and the mouthpiece have a flexible sound.

Quote Originally Posted by milandro
    If I won'ìt be able to find an original silver neck I just might be tempted to buy a Gloger (he does also make one with the underslug octave...for a price!)
    I also have a S20 bari (see my other posts in this thread), and 2 days ago I received the silver neck that Karsten Gloger made for me. The bari didn't came with the original neck, wich caused intonation problems and the tone in the upper register was a bit thin and hard to control. The Gloger neck makes a big difference! See: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=58412

Enjoy your Super 20!

Page 14 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast