P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

So far, what I am enjoying most about your project is the different colors that each mouthpiece can coax out of the soprano. I've always known there was an oboe-like sound, which seems to come from the Drakes and a few others; there's a flute-like sound from Caravan (not on your site, but probably familiar), and now a clarinet-like sound from the Ishimoris. To my ear, the Sopranoplanet Missing Link does the best job of carving out a saxophone-like sound that is distinct from the other three instruments. Thank you for the interesting comparisons!
    Think in shades of gray; act in black and white; dream in color.

Forum Contributor 2011
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmell73 View Post
    So far, what I am enjoying most about your project is the different colors that each mouthpiece can coax out of the soprano. I've always known there was an oboe-like sound, which seems to come from the Drakes and a few others; there's a flute-like sound from Caravan (not on your site, but probably familiar), and now a clarinet-like sound from the Ishimoris. To my ear, the Sopranoplanet Missing Link does the best job of carving out a saxophone-like sound that is distinct from the other three instruments. Thank you for the interesting comparisons!
    Where's the Gaia fall in your descriptions of the tones? I'm curious............

I'd say it leans oboe, but not very much. I'm thinking the Drake Son of Slant (which I used to use, by the way) has a sound clip that most clearly illustrates the oboe-like sound. There are hints of that on the Gaia as well, but usually at the end of phrases, when you're lowering the volume. In the middle of the phrases it sounds more like the Sopranoplanet.

Actually, if we could get several participants, I'd be willing to run the statistics to puzzle out how many dimensions there are to the sounds of these different mouthpieces. It'd be worth my while to put something concrete on the different terms we all use, like "warm" and "bright."
    Think in shades of gray; act in black and white; dream in color.

Forum Contributor 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmell73 View Post
    I'd say it leans oboe, but not very much. I'm thinking the Drake Son of Slant (which I used to use, by the way) has a sound clip that most clearly illustrates the oboe-like sound. There are hints of that on the Gaia as well, but usually at the end of phrases, when you're lowering the volume. In the middle of the phrases it sounds more like the Sopranoplanet.

Actually, if we could get several participants, I'd be willing to run the statistics to puzzle out how many dimensions there are to the sounds of these different mouthpieces. It'd be worth my while to put something concrete on the different terms we all use, like "warm" and "bright."
    Thanks, that's interesting. I never thought of relating the soprano sound to other instruments although I have at times hear a soprano that sounds like an oboe or a tenor that sounds like a bassoon. I've actually been thinking of going through my sound clips and trying to pick out clips that are examples of descriptive terms. Bright, dark, hollow, rich,fat, thin, ect...........

Forum Contributor 2011

Wow, it's been a year since I tried a new soprano mouthpiece..........I'm slacking.

Today I put up a new review and sound clip of a Navarro Maestra soprano sax mouthpiece. http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2013/0...ne-mouthpiece/

Forum Contributor 2011

Wow, It's been a long time since my last soprano mouthpiece review. I put up one tonight of a Absolute Soprano + mouthpiece which I really enjoyed a lot. Great playing mouthpiece. It has a very unique and cool sound to it. It reminds me a lot of Bill Evans when you really blow although I didn't do too much of that in the sample clip. I felt it leaned more toward that Bill Evans type soprano sound..........http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2013/1...ne-mouthpiece/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234