Antigua Winds
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Guru MojoBari's Avatar

Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

When Steve plays it, yes.

Forum Contributor 2011
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Posted a new clip and review of the Theo Wanne Gaia soprano mouthpiece. I really loved this mouthpiece........http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2010/1...ne-mouthpiece/ Let me know what you think. Steve

Distinguished SOTW Member JackLi's Avatar

The Gaia sounds great Steve very nice thick sound but i think I like the Warburton a little better

mentioned the riffault but you don't have a clip on the site are you going to put one up for comparisons?
    Flute: Di Zhao 700, 14K Gold Riser
    Alto: Selmer Ref54, MACSAX B.Sheppard MKI 7, Ishimori (GP) Lig. Vandoren V12 3
    Tenor: Yamaha 82Z, MACSAX B.Sheppard MKII CR8*, Silverstein Lig. Rico Select Jazz 3H Filled or Rico Royal 3.5

Forum Contributor 2011

Just put up a clip of the Drake Son of Slant soprano mouthpiece. I played this over the summer and fell behind with getting the review up. This is another great soprano mouthpiece.
    http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2010/1...ne-mouthpiece/

...if anyone has read my posts,im really a trumpet player...... and anyone ive ever talked to tells me to stay away from the soprano for a while(as ive not been playing sax too long).....i got the gaia 2 weeks ago,loved it but havent had any reason to play soprano....

did a recording session yesterday.....nailed just about everything pretty much first take with perfect intonation.......are you kidding me??? this piece is AMAZING!!
    i was a little leery of the size 8 when i got it,but it was the only one that was available....NO PROBLEM p.s. im playing it with a titanium reed plate

so ive played a total of 2 hours soprano in my life,and just walked out of a 2 hour recording session with no problem.....im giving the mouthpiece the credit!!!!
    SML Revision D Tenor Otto Link Slant Sig 7* Brillhart HR Sakshama Lost Wax Guardala MBII in sterling silver Theo Wanne Wood Ambika 7* Strathon 7* Stan Getz Legend 7*
    R&C curvy soprano Wanne Gaia 8 soprano mouthpiece

Forum Contributor 2011

Quote Originally Posted by sirspinbad View Post
    ...if anyone has read my posts,im really a trumpet player...... and anyone ive ever talked to tells me to stay away from the soprano for a while(as ive not been playing sax too long).....i got the gaia 2 weeks ago,loved it but havent had any reason to play soprano....

did a recording session yesterday.....nailed just about everything pretty much first take with perfect intonation.......are you kidding me??? this piece is AMAZING!!
    i was a little leery of the size 8 when i got it,but it was the only one that was available....NO PROBLEM p.s. im playing it with a titanium reed plate

so ive played a total of 2 hours soprano in my life,and just walked out of a 2 hour recording session with no problem.....im giving the mouthpiece the credit!!!!
    That sounds great. Glad you are lovin it. You mention the plate and............well I don't want to open a can of worms but do you notice a difference between it and the regular plate? If so what differences?

That Drake Son of Slant mouthpiece sounds great! I'll try and get a sound clip up of my Soprano Planet via coro soon.

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    Just put up a clip of the Drake Son of Slant soprano mouthpiece. I played this over the summer and fell behind with getting the review up. This is another great soprano mouthpiece.
    http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2010/1...ne-mouthpiece/
    I enjoyed this one a lot, much more so than the Gaia. You sound absolutely beautiful and DEEP on the Drake!
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI, Ted Klum Focustone Solid Silver Handcrafted 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 3M reeds, Marc Jean ligature

Forum Contributor 2011

Quote Originally Posted by jlima View Post
    I enjoyed this one a lot, much more so than the Gaia. You sound absolutely beautiful and DEEP on the Drake!
    Yes, this was a great piece also. I almost bought it but I had just received my Riffault and didn't see the need for another soprano piece. Nice and fat sounding.

Forum Contributor 2011
    SOTW Better late than never bloomer poster child

Posted a clip of a Lamberson F Major 7 Soprano mouthpiece tonight. http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2011/0...ne-mouthpiece/ . Great playing and sounding mouthpiece.
    Well crap!!! I never sounded that good on that mp. Probably never will Interestingly though, we agree on how it plays and sounds.

Forum Contributor 2011

Quote Originally Posted by tjontheroad View Post
    Well crap!!! I never sounded that good on that mp. Probably never will Interestingly though, we agree on how it plays and sounds.
    I have a harder time recording soprano than tenor and alto. I put the bell facing the mic about 3 feet away. The timbre of the notes changes depending on the notes though. If I put the mic on the side then I miss that directness and notes still change depending on what notes I play. I think recording soprano is much trickier than the others that's for sure. I'll send the mouthpiece back out tomorrow. Thanks so much for letting me play it......>Steve

Forum Contributor 2011
    SOTW Better late than never bloomer poster child

I have a harder time recording soprano than tenor and alto. I put the bell facing the mic about 3 feet away. The timbre of the notes changes depending on the notes though. If I put the mic on the side then I miss that directness and notes still change depending on what notes I play. I think recording soprano is much trickier than the others that's for sure. I'll send the mouthpiece back out tomorrow. Thanks so much for letting me play it......>Steve
    You're welcome. I've gotten best results recording my strait sop by placing the mic at a 45 degree angle a few feet above the bell. If you're really serious about getting the best results, you may think about investing in one of these http://www.audiogear.com/cgi-bin/sho...&preadd=action

Hey Steve,
    you sound great on the Lamberson, I have to say that out of all the soprano pieces that you reviewed that Lamberson has something special to it.

and you mentioned the Riffault blank, and I'm really interested in how it sounds. could you do a review of the one you have?
    Tenor: Yamaha 82Z, MACSAX B.Sheppard MKII CR8*, Silverstein Lig. Rico Select Jazz 3H Filled or Rico Royal 3.5

Forum Contributor 2011

Quote Originally Posted by JackLi View Post
    Hey Steve,
    you sound great on the Lamberson, I have to say that out of all the soprano pieces that you reviewed that Lamberson has something special to it.

and you mentioned the Riffault blank, and I'm really interested in how it sounds. could you do a review of the one you have?
    Yes, that's next.

Yes, that's next.
    Cool Steve, looking forward to the review.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

I have been listening to several of the clips and , to me, the best sound is the Super Session J sound , not strange really, I play one too although a smaller F . Yesterday I have acquired an old Selmer Solist short shank C which is even rounder and mellower than the Super Session. I read the comments and obviously most players here appreciate a different soprano than I do sound since they go for much brighter sounds.

Forum Contributor 2011

Posted a new review and sound clip of the Ishimori Woodstone hard rubber soprano mouthpiece. I have mouthpieces piling up on my desk so I will be posting more than usual over the next few weeks to try to get through them all. http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2011/0...ne-mouthpiece/ Let me know what you think. Thanks, Steve

Forum Contributor 2011

Posted a new review and sound clip of the Soprano Planet "Missing Link" soprano mouthpiece. http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2011/1...ne-mouthpiece/

This has been one of my favorite mouthpieces to play on soprano. Up to this point my Gaia has been my favorite because it is so easy to play and has loads of power. The missing link is very different. A bit darker and rounder sounding. The intonation is right on with it. Joe's opinion is that smaller tip opening work better on the Yamaha 62 soprano's. I found that interesting as I had never heard that before. This Missing Link at .057 certainly plays beautifully on it. You can check out the review for more details and to hear what it sounds like for me.

So have you decided which piece you like better (the missing link and gaia)?
    Alto: YAS-23, Jody Jazz HR* 6M, Legere Signature 3 or RJS 3S

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast