Antigua Winds
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 66
  1. #41
    Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Guru MojoBari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vineland, NJ
    Posts
    7,161

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    When Steve plays it, yes.

  2. #42
    Forum Contributor 2011
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Nefertiti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    8,755

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    Posted a new clip and review of the Theo Wanne Gaia soprano mouthpiece. I really loved this mouthpiece........http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2010/1...ne-mouthpiece/ Let me know what you think. Steve

  3. #43
    Distinguished SOTW Member JackLi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,552

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    The Gaia sounds great Steve very nice thick sound but i think I like the Warburton a little better

    mentioned the riffault but you don't have a clip on the site are you going to put one up for comparisons?
    Flute: Di Zhao 700, 14K Gold Riser
    Alto: Selmer Ref54, MACSAX B.Sheppard MKI 7, Ishimori (GP) Lig. Vandoren V12 3
    Tenor: Yamaha 82Z, MACSAX B.Sheppard MKII CR8*, Silverstein Lig. Rico Select Jazz 3H Filled or Rico Royal 3.5

  4. #44
    Forum Contributor 2011
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Nefertiti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    8,755

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    Just put up a clip of the Drake Son of Slant soprano mouthpiece. I played this over the summer and fell behind with getting the review up. This is another great soprano mouthpiece.
    http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2010/1...ne-mouthpiece/

  5. #45

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    ...if anyone has read my posts,im really a trumpet player...... and anyone ive ever talked to tells me to stay away from the soprano for a while(as ive not been playing sax too long).....i got the gaia 2 weeks ago,loved it but havent had any reason to play soprano....

    did a recording session yesterday.....nailed just about everything pretty much first take with perfect intonation.......are you kidding me??? this piece is AMAZING!!
    i was a little leery of the size 8 when i got it,but it was the only one that was available....NO PROBLEM p.s. im playing it with a titanium reed plate

    so ive played a total of 2 hours soprano in my life,and just walked out of a 2 hour recording session with no problem.....im giving the mouthpiece the credit!!!!
    SML Revision D Tenor Otto Link Slant Sig 7* Brillhart HR Sakshama Lost Wax Guardala MBII in sterling silver Theo Wanne Wood Ambika 7* Strathon 7* Stan Getz Legend 7*
    R&C curvy soprano Wanne Gaia 8 soprano mouthpiece

  6. #46
    Forum Contributor 2011
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Nefertiti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    8,755

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    Quote Originally Posted by sirspinbad View Post
    ...if anyone has read my posts,im really a trumpet player...... and anyone ive ever talked to tells me to stay away from the soprano for a while(as ive not been playing sax too long).....i got the gaia 2 weeks ago,loved it but havent had any reason to play soprano....

    did a recording session yesterday.....nailed just about everything pretty much first take with perfect intonation.......are you kidding me??? this piece is AMAZING!!
    i was a little leery of the size 8 when i got it,but it was the only one that was available....NO PROBLEM p.s. im playing it with a titanium reed plate

    so ive played a total of 2 hours soprano in my life,and just walked out of a 2 hour recording session with no problem.....im giving the mouthpiece the credit!!!!
    That sounds great. Glad you are lovin it. You mention the plate and............well I don't want to open a can of worms but do you notice a difference between it and the regular plate? If so what differences?

  7. #47

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    That Drake Son of Slant mouthpiece sounds great! I'll try and get a sound clip up of my Soprano Planet via coro soon.

  8. #48
    Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014
    jlima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    5,584

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    Just put up a clip of the Drake Son of Slant soprano mouthpiece. I played this over the summer and fell behind with getting the review up. This is another great soprano mouthpiece.
    http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2010/1...ne-mouthpiece/
    I enjoyed this one a lot, much more so than the Gaia. You sound absolutely beautiful and DEEP on the Drake!
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI, Ted Klum Focustone Solid Silver Handcrafted 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 3M reeds, Marc Jean ligature

  9. #49
    Forum Contributor 2011
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Nefertiti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    8,755

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    Quote Originally Posted by jlima View Post
    I enjoyed this one a lot, much more so than the Gaia. You sound absolutely beautiful and DEEP on the Drake!
    Yes, this was a great piece also. I almost bought it but I had just received my Riffault and didn't see the need for another soprano piece. Nice and fat sounding.

  10. #50

  11. #51
    Forum Contributor 2011
    SOTW Better late than never bloomer poster child
    tjontheroad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    4,081

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    Posted a clip of a Lamberson F Major 7 Soprano mouthpiece tonight. http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2011/0...ne-mouthpiece/ . Great playing and sounding mouthpiece.
    Well crap!!! I never sounded that good on that mp. Probably never will Interestingly though, we agree on how it plays and sounds.

  12. #52
    Forum Contributor 2011
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Nefertiti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    8,755

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    Quote Originally Posted by tjontheroad View Post
    Well crap!!! I never sounded that good on that mp. Probably never will Interestingly though, we agree on how it plays and sounds.
    I have a harder time recording soprano than tenor and alto. I put the bell facing the mic about 3 feet away. The timbre of the notes changes depending on the notes though. If I put the mic on the side then I miss that directness and notes still change depending on what notes I play. I think recording soprano is much trickier than the others that's for sure. I'll send the mouthpiece back out tomorrow. Thanks so much for letting me play it......>Steve

  13. #53
    Forum Contributor 2011
    SOTW Better late than never bloomer poster child
    tjontheroad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    4,081

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    I have a harder time recording soprano than tenor and alto. I put the bell facing the mic about 3 feet away. The timbre of the notes changes depending on the notes though. If I put the mic on the side then I miss that directness and notes still change depending on what notes I play. I think recording soprano is much trickier than the others that's for sure. I'll send the mouthpiece back out tomorrow. Thanks so much for letting me play it......>Steve
    You're welcome. I've gotten best results recording my strait sop by placing the mic at a 45 degree angle a few feet above the bell. If you're really serious about getting the best results, you may think about investing in one of these http://www.audiogear.com/cgi-bin/sho...&preadd=action

  14. #54
    Distinguished SOTW Member JackLi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,552

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    Hey Steve,
    you sound great on the Lamberson, I have to say that out of all the soprano pieces that you reviewed that Lamberson has something special to it.

    and you mentioned the Riffault blank, and I'm really interested in how it sounds. could you do a review of the one you have?
    Flute: Di Zhao 700, 14K Gold Riser
    Alto: Selmer Ref54, MACSAX B.Sheppard MKI 7, Ishimori (GP) Lig. Vandoren V12 3
    Tenor: Yamaha 82Z, MACSAX B.Sheppard MKII CR8*, Silverstein Lig. Rico Select Jazz 3H Filled or Rico Royal 3.5

  15. #55
    Forum Contributor 2011
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Nefertiti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    8,755

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    Quote Originally Posted by JackLi View Post
    Hey Steve,
    you sound great on the Lamberson, I have to say that out of all the soprano pieces that you reviewed that Lamberson has something special to it.

    and you mentioned the Riffault blank, and I'm really interested in how it sounds. could you do a review of the one you have?
    Yes, that's next.

  16. #56
    Distinguished SOTW Member JackLi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,552

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    Yes, that's next.
    Cool Steve, looking forward to the review.
    Flute: Di Zhao 700, 14K Gold Riser
    Alto: Selmer Ref54, MACSAX B.Sheppard MKI 7, Ishimori (GP) Lig. Vandoren V12 3
    Tenor: Yamaha 82Z, MACSAX B.Sheppard MKII CR8*, Silverstein Lig. Rico Select Jazz 3H Filled or Rico Royal 3.5

  17. #57
    Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    23,970

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    I have been listening to several of the clips and , to me, the best sound is the Super Session J sound , not strange really, I play one too although a smaller F . Yesterday I have acquired an old Selmer Solist short shank C which is even rounder and mellower than the Super Session. I read the comments and obviously most players here appreciate a different soprano than I do sound since they go for much brighter sounds.

  18. #58
    Forum Contributor 2011
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Nefertiti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    8,755

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    Posted a new review and sound clip of the Ishimori Woodstone hard rubber soprano mouthpiece. I have mouthpieces piling up on my desk so I will be posting more than usual over the next few weeks to try to get through them all. http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2011/0...ne-mouthpiece/ Let me know what you think. Thanks, Steve

  19. #59
    Forum Contributor 2011
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Nefertiti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    8,755

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    Posted a new review and sound clip of the Soprano Planet "Missing Link" soprano mouthpiece. http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2011/1...ne-mouthpiece/

    This has been one of my favorite mouthpieces to play on soprano. Up to this point my Gaia has been my favorite because it is so easy to play and has loads of power. The missing link is very different. A bit darker and rounder sounding. The intonation is right on with it. Joe's opinion is that smaller tip opening work better on the Yamaha 62 soprano's. I found that interesting as I had never heard that before. This Missing Link at .057 certainly plays beautifully on it. You can check out the review for more details and to hear what it sounds like for me.

  20. #60

    Default Re: Soprano Mouthpiece Reviews and Clips

    So have you decided which piece you like better (the missing link and gaia)?
    Alto: YAS-23, Jody Jazz HR* 6M, Legere Signature 3 or RJS 3S

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •