Sax on the Web Forum banner

Pass around worthy?

15K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Kanee Music 
#1 ·
There have been several pass around mouthpieces in the last few months and although I get a, "Your on the list, Bebopalot!" from every single mouthpiece artist that asks "who wants to be included?", I have never received a mouthpiece to try. I see that there are plenty of people that get the pass around and review it but I never see anything coming my way.

Is there a certain criteria that one must have in order to be part of a mouthpiece pass around? If so, why not state it so those of us that don't meet that criteria don't sit around wondering what's up with the pass around? I don't mind and certainly understand if I am not worthy of having a mouthpiece sent to me with only my word that the privilege will not be abused. Why tell someone that will never see the piece to expect it in the future? :?

#4 ·
I'm a "nobody" and I was sent a Theo Wanne Durga baritone mpc to evaluate. I greatly appreciate participating.

#5 ·
There's nothing special about me at all, and I've gotten the first two Theo Wanne tenor pieces last year, the Drake alto piece and the Ivan Meyer pieces this year. The only thing I can say is I'm probably not the only dirtbag who gets the pieces for a "week" and winds up having them much longer before they get around to sending them on. I'm sure that makes the passarounds take much longer.

#6 ·
I think I was pretty much at the beginning of the list with the Wanne pieces last year. Nothing.

The Drake never showed up. Phil-Tone, Barone............then I just quit raising my hand whenever a pass around was announced.

It's no big deal. I just thought there was some unspoken criteria like, able to write a cohesive review, certain playing experience, time as a member of SOTW or other relatively reasonable expectations. I think some of the pass around mouthpieces just quit being passed around at one point or another.

#7 ·
There are some conditions and they depend on the manufacturers. Most of the time they are how long you've been a member and the country you live in. I don't see why you wouldn't be a good candidate.

I think some of the pass around mouthpieces just quit being passed around at one point or another.
It seems so indeed. Now who's to blame so we can burn him on a stake?

And why has this been made a sticky? :? :?

Victor.

#12 ·
There have been several pass around mouthpieces in the last few months and although I get a, "Your on the list, Bebopalot!" from every single mouthpiece artist that asks "who wants to be included?", I have never received a mouthpiece to try. I see that there are plenty of people that get the pass around and review it but I never see anything coming my way.

Is there a certain criteria that one must have in order to be part of a mouthpiece pass around? If so, why not state it so those of us that don't meet that criteria don't sit around wondering what's up with the pass around? I don't mind and certainly understand if I am not worthy of having a mouthpiece sent to me with only my word that the privilege will not be abused. Why tell someone that will never see the piece to expect it in the future? :?
I have volunteered to organize a mouthpiece pass around for Ivan Meyer of Brazil. If you have not yet heard of his work, please see this thread.

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=113276

For now, I am soliciting participants for both alto and tenor mouthpiece trials. If you visit Ivan's website at http://www.ivanmeyer.com/ you will see and, I believe appreciate, an order form that belies an attempt to make a custom mouthpiece for each player. That makes it especially tough to order a stock mouthpiece for a pass around so I am hoping that people will help me and Ivan to make a better selection for the pass around by indicating your individual preferences in a mouthpiece. Given enough participants, Ivan can then choose a design that will hopefully appeal to most participants.

When posting a followup request to participate, please indicate alto/tenor, tip size, and an indication of what works for you.
For instance: I'm into large chamber tenor pieces with a touch of baffle - typically a tip opening of .110 to .120". Pieces that have worked well for me are Otto Link derivatives.

Here are the volunteers to date:

Dr. G, if there's a passaround, I definitely want to be on it.
Alto - .080 +/- .003 with medium+ baffle
Tenor - .115 - .120 with medium to medium high baffle
I'm interested in the pass around on the alto.

I like larger chambered mouthpieces and in a mid tip opening, a 6 or 7.
I'd like to sign up for the tenor and I agree with Doc's preferences.
I would also like to be included in the tenor mouthpiece pass around. ...the big band sound mouthpiece mentioned on the website seems like it has Otto Link character and potential so that convinces me. Large chamber and a .110 tip would be good if available.
I'm in for the passaround, alto or tenor. I generally dig a medium tip, medium chamber with not too much baffle on alto. Same on tenor, with maybe a large chamber.
Thanks for this opportunity, Ivan. This shall be exciting!
Thanks Ivan Meyer

#17 ·
Hi all:

There is a HR sax mouthpieces pass around activity hold by Kanee Music, the new manufacturer of mouthpieces based in China, I just post it in "General Mouthpieces Discussion", please feel free to check out.

I will try my best to have this activity as transparent as possible, so you are welcome to join us by replying to get your position in our list.

You can still know more about us from our website at www.kaneemusic.com, or send me email to kaneemusic@gmail.com, it will be nice to meet you!

Thanks
Kane

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.